Sponsored

Did someone throw shade at you because you're a twenty-something?

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Gotta say, hard luck stories sound funny to a guy on his own, no parents around, no safety net, since he was 17 with a high school diploma. In 1980 we were in a recession, interest rates were crazy high, and jobs were scarce. After struggling to live for a few years the only way I knew out was the military and the GI Bill. I'll bet there's a few of us on here who went hungry many a night to pay rent, gas and insurance. When someone in their 20's has this car, that early in life, and has something to say about how hard things are now as opposed to whenever, I gotta just shake my head. The struggle is worth it because when you struggle, you do it all on your own. As they say, the sweetest meat is close to the bone.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Gotta say, hard luck stories sound funny to a guy on his own, no parents around, no safety net, since he was 17 with a high school diploma. In 1980 we were in a recession, interest rates were crazy high, and jobs were scarce. After struggling to live for a few years the only way I knew out was the military and the GI Bill. I'll bet there's a few of us on here who went hungry many a night to pay rent, gas and insurance. When someone in their 20's has this car, that early in life, and has something to say about how hard things are now as opposed to whenever, I gotta just shake my head. The struggle is worth it because when you struggle, you do it all on your own. As they say, the sweetest meat is close to the bone.
Nobody ever said that some of you didn't have it hard as well.. you started off by wanting to generalize our entire generation, and now that the same thing has happened to you, you have something to say about it. You and many other may have struggled, perhaps more than any one of us ever will, who knows, and to you and those others I have the up-most respect for! My father grew up on a small farm in a community of less than 1000, didn't have any education, never made any significant amount of money and had to work his ass off for years to gain experience and get a decent job. They went hungry many a night so that myself and my brother wouldn't when we were babies. I've seen the results of someone persevering and struggling most of their lives and working their ass off to make a good life for us, and it is where I get my motivation from. But even my parents both are of the opinion that with today's costs it is much harder for us to start off without digging ourselves into a hole with how much everything costs.

Fact of the matter is though, for the greater majority of those your age or the "Gen X" crowd, you guys bought/built houses (biggest purchase of your life) when they were Dirt cheap compared to today. Regardless whether the interest rates were higher, even with the interest rates, the total cost would come nowhere near to the cost of homes today. You guys had the benefit of making that major purchase when prices were relatively low, but you also experienced wage growth as you got older. As you got older and your wages increased, the cost of your mortgage payments never... Get my drift?

In essence, your generation had the best opportunity to have excess cash laying around to invest in other properties, businesses, stocks, etc. It is why you don't see younger folks owning apartment buildings, owning any sizable businesses, etc.

And I'm not trying to offend you, but just because you went through a difficult situation, that doesn't mean none of us can either.... You can shake your head all you want, but it is statistical fact that the ratio between the average cost of living versus average working wage has gone in the negative direction years and years now. It is FACTUALLY more difficult for someone to afford the same things the average person would have been able to in your time. That doesn't take away from the fact that you struggled, and from that struggle you succeeded and achieved your goals.

And I'm not speaking about how "difficult" life is for millennials in regards to my own situation; I highly doubt the average millennials income is anywhere close to half of mine, but I am speaking my mind on behalf of those who don't have a very good job or a very good education to back them up. In today's world, if you don't have a diploma or degree, vast majority of companies won't even look at you unless you are a laborer.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Here is my response to all the young kids here:
:lol:
Laugh or mock all you like, I just feel sorry you're not intelligent or mature enough to recognize the difficulties faced by others. But of course, nobody ever had it harder than you right? Nobody ever worked harder than you right? Of course not, and I bet you think any of the aspects of your life that were a positive, are the best anyone has ever seen. Your mockery just reeks of ignorance.

Edit: Aren't you in the wrong forum? lol

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Laugh or mock all you like, I just feel sorry you're not intelligent or mature enough to recognize the difficulties faced by others. But of course, nobody ever had it harder than you right? Nobody ever worked harder than you right? Of course not, and I bet you think any of the aspects of your life that were a positive, are the best anyone has ever seen. Your mockery just reeks of ignorance.

Edit: Aren't you in the wrong forum? lol

Right? I don't see many people "crying" or whatever he believes is going on. Mainly just accomplished people discussing the current state of the economy and why some are able to achieve financial success and others struggle for one reason or another.

Don't see a need to antagonize a group of people because of your close minded opinion.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Right? I don't see many people "crying" or whatever he believes is going on. Mainly just accomplished people discussing the current state of the economy and why some are able to achieve financial success and others struggle for one reason or another.

Don't see a need to antagonize a group of people because of your close minded opinion.
Yeah pretty much spot on lol comes in just to "laugh" at us for discussing a serious and fairly interesting topic IMO. Self-absorption at it's finest; his signature is quite ironic :lol:

Sponsored

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Yeah pretty much spot on lol comes in just to "laugh" at us for discussing a serious and fairly interesting topic IMO. Self-absorption at it's finest; his signature is quite ironic :lol:
I've learned a majority of people that like to "talk the talk" don't follow though and "walk the walk". :shrug:

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Hey millennials you should lighten up.You do know us old boomers just like to give you a hard time right? If it makes you feel any better my son is a millennial and is the hardest working guy I know!! Just ordered himself a new ferrari 488 gtb so we can go cruising canyon/mountain roads together!!