Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
We did extensive testing and although we can fix the noise per vehicle, each vehicle is different in alignment issues on the factory accessories. The issue is compounded by the short distance between our idler pulleys and tensioner. In the vehicles that have noise issues, the tensioner rocks front to back out of alignment which causes the noise. We tried other Dayco and Gates tensioners and they all make the same noise on the problem engine.

Therefore we designed a new billet spring loaded tensioner, double bearing that eliminates any rocking, helping vehicles with alignment issues and eliminating the noise. They will be standard in all kits as soon as they are in stock.

Tensioners will be provided to customers with the belt noise issue free of charge when they are available. Current target date is Dec 19th for in stock inventory but we will let others know when they are going to be available. There are 2 versions, 6-rib and 10-rib, same design, just different spacing.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
We did extensive testing and although we can fix the noise per vehicle, each vehicle is different in alignment issues on the factory accessories. The issue is compounded by the short distance between our idler pulleys and tensioner. In the vehicles that have noise issues, the tensioner rocks front to back out of alignment which causes the noise. We tried other Dayco and Gates tensioners and they all make the same noise on the problem engine.

Therefore we designed a new billet spring loaded tensioner, double bearing that eliminates any rocking, helping vehicles with alignment issues and eliminating the noise. They will be standard in all kits as soon as they are in stock.

Tensioners will be provided to customers with the belt noise issue free of charge when they are available. Current target date is Dec 19th for in stock inventory but we will let others know when they are going to be available. There are 2 versions, 6-rib and 10-rib, same design, just different spacing.
Good new Dustin, thanks for the update :clap2:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Glad to hear that you have developed a new billet tensioner, the factory tensioner body is cast and IMO too weak to handle the added stress imposed on it to run that supercharger.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Glad to hear that you have developed a new billet tensioner, the factory tensioner body is cast and IMO too weak to handle the added stress imposed on it to run that supercharger.
We don't use stock tensioners on the Mustang, we use a Dayco HD in all the S197 and S550 kits.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
We don't use stock tensioners on the Mustang, we use a Dayco HD in all the S197 and S550 kits.
Sorry wrong choice of words what I meant to say was the tensioner used is still cast.

Sponsored

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic

Will this new billet tensioner help resolve the pin shearing issue too? I did not have any issues with the pin breaking until I installed the shorter belt.

Thanks

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Will this new billet tensioner help resolve the pin shearing issue too? I did not have any issues with the pin breaking until I installed the shorter belt.

Thanks
It's 6061-T6 vs pot metal, significant difference in strength. Also, optional to put 2nd pin in. But, if the tensioner is slamming closed, its beating the tensioner at its stop. First, need to take more slack from belt, second, increase torque on 8mm bolt to 25 ft/lbs.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
So for those of us that do not have any noise issues right now is it something that might start happening later down the road? I seem to be fine now but don't want the noise to start a year or two down the road due to the design of the tensioner.

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hope I don't have this issue, just tossed my order in a little over 2 weeks ago.:doh:

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
So for those of us that do not have any noise issues right now is it something that might start happening later down the road? I seem to be fine now but don't want the noise to start a year or two down the road due to the design of the tensioner.
Most likely no. It typically does it in the first 1000 miles or doesn't do it at all.

Sponsored

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Either way all new kits will have the billet tensioner and we will upgrade one's that are out there that have the issue.
Any kit after Dec 18th or from now on?

Whipple customer service is truly top-notch.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hope I don't have this issue, just tossed my order in a little over 2 weeks ago.:doh:
Yea I ordered on the 15th. I'd rather my kit just be put on hold so it gets the new design tensioner. [MENTION=13288]Whipple SC[/MENTION] is that something that can be done? I won't be installing until spring anyways so I'm in no big hurry to get my kit...

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Most likely no. It typically does it in the first 1000 miles or doesn't do it at all.
So if it does happen later down the road say a year or more from now will we still be given a new tensioner at that time to solve the problem?
Sponsored