Sponsored

The ultimate solution for clunking tranmission

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
So I've done some extensive research, and could not find a perfect answer for this. As many people know, the manual transmission makes clunks when I press/depress clutch pedal when engaging gears and a thuk/thunk noise in lower gears shift.

Here's some list of aftermarket parts I found:

1. Transmission bushing mounts
2. BG transmission oil swap
3. Blowfish shift bracket
4. Shifter bushing

Has anyone solve their clunk/thud/thunk problem to their GTs using aftemarket parts? What's really effective? I obviously don't want to spend $$$, but other than blowfish shift bracket they seem to be in good $ shape.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I haven't solved mine and honestly I haven't attempted to do so...but I had tried some of the mods you listed, and my advice is to not do them. The oil, I don't know, but the mount is going to make you feel the clunk more. The bracket and bushing are not going to help with the clunk.

These parts do help with better shifting, but does not improve the noise. If anything, they will make it more apparent...specially the mount. I still have mine on and I feel can hear everything that's going on down there. I can even feel the engine vibration and exhaust, good if you're looking for a cheap noiser upper, a poor mans catback.

I haven't seen anyone actually like the NVH from the trans mount or bushing insert. I kinda like the Peterbilt big rig feel, but you have been warned.

Now, the oil I haven't done...I've heard wonders about it. I might do it next weekend.

OP
OP

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
wow, thanks for the input. Sounds like I will give it a shot to trans fluid :)

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I have gotten rid of a lot of it, but hasn't permanently gone away yet it does it way less so far I've done the Steeda short shifter Tri ax, BG Oil swap, bmr motor mounts, and seems to have got rid of 90% of thud. Only does it sometimes now. Also have steeda alignment inserts and car is lowered with Boomba vertical links.

OP
OP

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I have gotten rid of a lot of it, but hasn't permanently gone away yet it does it way less so far I've done the Steeda short shifter Tri ax, BG Oil swap, bmr motor mounts, and seems to have got rid of 90% of thud. Only does it sometimes now. Also have steeda alignment inserts and car is lowered with Boomba vertical links.
Thanks! Did you do it one at a time? If so, what part really got you helped with? As long as I know BG oil is for more smooth shifting experience. Is this true?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Nothing you can do really unless you wanna reduce the slack in the drive train. It's not the transmission that's making the sound, it's rather the rear diff backlash.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Nothing you can do really unless you wanna reduce the slack in the drive train. It's not the transmission that's making the sound, it's rather the rear diff backlash.
How do you achieve this?

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I also forgot to say I also did the braided clutch line . The order i did was links, shifter, springs and alignment bushings, motor mounts, clutch line, and oil. The shifter, motor mounts, and oil made the biggest difference . The BG Oil being at the top of list. Definitely recommend . Motor mounts also made a positive difference. Everything feels more solid.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
BG oil did nothing for my clunk. Maybe thought so at first, but... nothing. I have tried changing fluids on other cars for similar reasons, never a difference (Royal Purple, Amsoil, and BG tried). The ONLY fluid I've used that reduced clunk was in my Harley and it was Redline Severe Gear or something like that.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know of a PO Box that I send money (cash only) to and it always fixes most of my problems. Cost $100 and I no longer have clunking, trust me.

Ksmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Sorry for the thread high jack but is this the sound your are experiencing? [ame]

OP
OP

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I also forgot to say I also did the braided clutch line . The order i did was links, shifter, springs and alignment bushings, motor mounts, clutch line, and oil. The shifter, motor mounts, and oil made the biggest difference . The BG Oil being at the top of list. Definitely recommend . Motor mounts also made a positive difference. Everything feels more solid.
Did shifter and motor mounts caused any increase in NVH? Did you happen to get rid of the most clunking issues in shifting lower gears??
Sponsored