Sponsored

Clicking sound at idle

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Putting the car in the garage this evening and I'm hearing his clicking sound.

The iPhone mic doesn't really do it justice as its more noticeable under the hood..but here it is.

Short video

No engine mods...Any thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
now that you mention it, you're right. It sounds like the igniter on the BBQ...every 2 seconds

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
yep look at the s197 forums lots of people with that issue. I was one. Ford has yet to fix it on any car i know of and some even got new long blocks only for it to come back after the first oil change.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Get it documented, quickly.

I lemon'd my car because of the BBQ tick.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Get it documented, quickly.

I lemon'd my car because of the BBQ tick.
I would agree. I did not lemon mine but I did fight them enough over that and the rear end issues that they gave me everything I paid towards a new mustang. Alas it is in the shop not for an engine knock and vibration issues. My luck just ever ends.

OP
OP

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Done a little bit of reading on the BBQ tick issue and it seems a hit or miss on getting it fixed and what is determined to be 'normal'. Oil changes have been 1500 miles, 5500 miles, and again in 10000 miles. 13700 miles on the odometer now. First two oil changes were synthetic blend, the 10000 mile was Ford's full synthetic.

Oil levels in range, about a half quart below full. Nothing abnormal in the dash gauges.

That being said, dropping it off first thing tomorrow morning.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have this as well I believe, sounds just like a bbq ignitor but mine is about every 4-5 seconds and what sounds like a slight surge in rpm. Not enough to register on the needle but you can hear it. Weird Shi$.

6400 miles

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I don't remember there being a fix for the igniter click on the s197's. I also don't remember the issue actually causing any harm to the motor either.

OP
OP

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Dropped her off first thing yesterday. Dealer said they had one in last week with the same issue and it was a throttle body problem. So throttle body on order and will be in next week to have it replaced.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have this as well I believe, sounds just like a bbq ignitor but mine is about every 4-5 seconds and what sounds like a slight surge in rpm. Not enough to register on the needle but you can hear it. Weird Shi$.

6400 miles
Sounds like the same issue. There wasn't any change on rpm tach but I also had a light surge after each tick. The ticking for me has increased in repetitiveness...2-3 clicks during the same duration now.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
now that you mention it, you're right. It sounds like the igniter on the BBQ...every 2 seconds
Some people also refer to the "BBQ Tick" as the steady ticking at idle that sounds more like it's down in the bottom end of the engine.

But the video posted in this thread certainly does sound like the igniter on a BBQ, and is a different sound than the other sound some people call the BBQ Tick.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Done a little bit of reading on the BBQ tick issue and it seems a hit or miss on getting it fixed and what is determined to be 'normal'. Oil changes have been 1500 miles, 5500 miles, and again in 10000 miles. 13700 miles on the odometer now. First two oil changes were synthetic blend, the 10000 mile was Ford's full synthetic.

Oil levels in range, about a half quart below full. Nothing abnormal in the dash gauges.

That being said, dropping it off first thing tomorrow morning.
I think what did me in was the full synthetic oil change when I had Ford do it. It sounds like you went full syn and then had it happen a few thousand later.

For the duration of my time with the next one she will only run synthetic blend.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I did my 1st oil change at 2200 miles, and used Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic blend and a Motorcraft oil filter. My engine sounds even quieter than it did before the oil change. No ticking at all except maybe a hair from the fuel injectors.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
So i finally had a chance to listen your video. I honestly do not think thats a BBQ tick. It sounds like your AC compressor clutch kicking in or something on the serpentine belt ticking/clicking/grabbing.

I had to listen a few times as i thought you had just knocked the camera or something but aside from your lifters firing that does not sound like my BBQ tick (good news!).

Try putting a load on the engine with someone giving it a little gas to about 1500 RPM. Do it with the AC on super high, and barely on. Also do it with the AC off. Try hot and cold starts, etc. Find out what actions are driving this behavior and start working backwards!
Sponsored