Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

redleg322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord 2.0t Touring, '17 GT350
Lots of SAI bolt-ons in that photo.

If the new GT500 comes out of SAI, Count me out. Many people will get screwed. And I'll buy a Chevy product.
Same. No way I'm buying an aftermarket mustang full of bolt-ons not engineered by FoMoCo. I can do the same thing with any mustang and label whatever I want on it. Doesn't make it the real deal.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Same. No way I'm buying an aftermarket mustang full of bolt-ons not engineered by FoMoCo. I can do the same thing with any mustang and label whatever I want on it. Doesn't make it the real deal.

Not to be a downer.... But why would you want a fake Shelby with less Shelby parts on it? I mean that's the whole history of Shelby.. making production cars better

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Just gave the video another listen, I would definitely agree that it is a larger displacement CPC motor due to the sheer volume of sound in the exhaust. I did not hear the classic Voodoo FPC tone. One interesting piece of sound to me was the car was slowing down to make the right turn, I heard what sounded like lopey cams.
Sounds like my FPC, too... When I had my 13 Boss 302, I never activated he track key. I listened to my car sitting beside the same car, different color, with the track activated and running on the track key and it sounded like a different, more aggressive car.

That FPC could have had a track key package of additional lope was noted, but it sounds just like my R.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Not to be a downer.... But why would you want a fake Shelby with less Shelby parts on it? I mean that's the whole history of Shelby.. making production cars better

Which one is the fake Shelby? The one that comes from SAI or the one from FoMoCo? IIRC, SAI does not manufacture parts but merely rebrands parts from other companies.

Sponsored

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Which one is the fake Shelby? The one that comes from SAI or the one from FoMoCo? IIRC, SAI does not manufacture parts but merely rebrands parts from other companies.
Yep. What he said. For the most part.

SAI will argue that Ford does the same thing. They don't manufacture their own parts, they contract other people to do it.

The difference is that SAIs quality control, over their contract suppliers, is horrendous.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a reall necessary reason as to why we must debate FoMoCo Shelbys vs SAI Shelbys being the "real" Shelby again? Dayum... That horse has been beat and resurrected more than any other topic known to Mustang Man.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
What makes you think the new gt500 will come from sai?
The GT350 was manufactured for a bit by SAI before Ford began to manufacturer it again.

One never knows what sort of deal FoMoCo has swinging with SAI.

I wish they'd sever ties with them once and for all.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Is there a reall necessary reason as to why we must debate FoMoCo Shelbys vs SAI Shelbys being the "real" Shelby again? Dayum... That horse has been beat and resurrected more than any other topic known to Mustang Man.
Only if you associate 'real' with quality. In that case, 'real' is FoMoCo, unfortunately.

Most guys (although you can search other boards and find examples) who throw down the insane money SAI wants for their bolt-on / build-ups won't admit they didn't get a great product (pride). Or, they're more enamored with the fact that they have something that comes out of Las Vegas.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer to look at the quality of the product and the up-performance / rarity of the vehicle.

SAI will claim, for example, like they did on their GT350s - that the suspension is so specially tuned, it handles like some kind of track monster that no one else could ever replicate. HOWEVER, guess where that suspension comes from ? Ford Performance, or Eibach, etc.

Smoke and mirrors.

SAIs product right now is not great. And they're selling their souls by watering it all down. Unfortunate.

Why Ford continues to let SAI live by sucking off of their teet is beyond me.

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
IIRC, Ford purchased the right to use 'Shelby GT350' and 'Shelby GT500'. No more royalty fees paid to SAI. Also, I remember reading from SAI that they wouldn't be modifying any GT500's after the 2014's. That could have been part of Ford's purchase agreement too of course.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only if you associate 'real' with quality. In that case, 'real' is FoMoCo, unfortunately.

Most guys (although you can search other boards and find examples) who throw down the insane money SAI wants for their bolt-on / build-ups won't admit they didn't get a great product (pride). Or, they're more enamored with the fact that they have something that comes out of Las Vegas.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer to look at the quality of the product and the up-performance / rarity of the vehicle.

SAI will claim, for example, like they did on their GT350s - that the suspension is so specially tuned, it handles like some kind of track monster that no one else could ever replicate. HOWEVER, guess where that suspension comes from ? Ford Performance, or Eibach, etc.

Smoke and mirrors.

SAIs product right now is not great. And they're selling their souls by watering it all down. Unfortunate.

Why Ford continues to let SAI live by sucking off of their teet is beyond me.
I honestly don't care what SAI does... I'd never buy they're product unless they greatly reduced the price of a CSX-Cobra or made a CSX-chassied Daytona coupe.

Whether it's "real" or not is merely relative and only matters to those who wish to banter semantics. It has no bearing on the relativity of what my R can accomplish.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The GT350 was manufactured for a bit by SAI before Ford began to manufacturer it again.

One never knows what sort of deal FoMoCo has swinging with SAI.

I wish they'd sever ties with them once and for all.
SAI built "A" S197 model they called a "GT350" with custom body panels and bolt-on parts. IIRC, their S550 was just called a "Shelby GT".

"THE" fpc GT350 was built by the SVT guys at FoMoCo.

redleg322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord 2.0t Touring, '17 GT350
I honestly don't care what SAI does... I'd never buy they're product unless they greatly reduced the price of a CSX-Cobra or made a CSX-chassied Daytona coupe.

Whether it's "real" or not is merely relative and only matters to those who wish to banter semantics. It has no bearing on the relativity of what my R can accomplish.
Yeah its probably not worth arguing. It is literally comparing a billion dollar engineering R&D with almost nothing.

Back on topic, the GT500!

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
IIRC, Ford purchased the right to use 'Shelby GT350' and 'Shelby GT500'. No more royalty fees paid to SAI. Also, I remember reading from SAI that they wouldn't be modifying any GT500's after the 2014's. That could have been part of Ford's purchase agreement too of course.
Really? I wonder why. As an outsider looking in prior to buying my GT in 2015 I always held SVT vehicles with high regard. More so than Shelby badged cars. Is the SVT badge defunct now? This GT500 would probably fill the same hole an SVT Cobra would. :ford:

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
Really? I wonder why. As an outsider looking in prior to buying my GT in 2015 I always held SVT vehicles with high regard. More so than Shelby badged cars. Is the SVT badge defunct now? This GT500 would probably fill the same hole an SVT Cobra would. :ford:
Team Svt also built 07-14 gt500s.
Sponsored