Sponsored

2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
They'll settle down after break in. Pitch/tone will change too.

Any recommendations for break in? Right now its unbearable and dont even want to drive it. Drone is between 1500 and 3000 rpm, any slight acceleration is ridiculous drone. Hwy cruise impossible its quieter at 4000 rpm then it is at 2000
Sponsored

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
Any recommendations for break in? Right now its unbearable and dont even want to drive it. Drone is between 1500 and 3000 rpm, any slight acceleration is ridiculous drone. Hwy cruise impossible its quieter at 4000 rpm then it is at 2000
honestly, if its really bad it's not going to get a whole lot better. Drive with it for a little while to see though. Good luck!

jburgess1379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted v6
Go on a long trip? Its just a matter of miles. Could be 3-4 weeks. Mine broke in at about 2.

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Is there anything that an exhaust shop can do to reduce drone? Honestly dont think it's going to quiet down to the point that it wont be unbearable without me doing something myself or having it done professionaly

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Is there anything that an exhaust shop can do to reduce drone? Honestly dont think it's going to quiet down to the point that it wont be unbearable without me doing something myself or having it done professionaly
As its an axle back, I dont think you have space to add resonators..

Sponsored

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Is the drone better with your outlaws & windows down? If it's any consolation, my LM2's were almost unbearable with windows up for the first few days @2k-2.5.... Like a drone hotbox :p With the windows down they are addicting, though. They have already started to quiet down and mellow out somewhat. Might take longer with the even less muffled outlaws, though.

If you like the tone otherwise, you could consider having a pair of very free-flowing bullet mufflers/glasspacks welded in the straight part of the pipes. Someone here did that with a pair of MBRP mufflers, and it really smoothed out the sound/rasp/drone.

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Its a bit better with the windows down but its doesnt help one bit at highway cruise speeds because at that point its a lose lose situation, if the windows up no wind noise but deafening drone and vibrations. If the windows are down, then a little bit less drone (or so it seems, it could just be the wind canceling it out a bit) but then at highway speeds the windnoise becomes defeaning as well and ends up being worse.

My ears were ringing today after a 10 minute drive home.
Would aftermarket resonators work better than the factory ones already on the car?
Would an H pipe or X pipe lower drone at all?
Also going to take off my roush intake tomorrow and put back on the stock intake to see if that helps.

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
I don't know about you guys but I've gotten used to the drone and now find it pleasing to my ears lmao... At first I could not stand them.

As far as what you've been dealing with, I've never dealt with ear ringing from my outlaws.

Give it a week or two you might get used to them. I've also herd how an h pipe and shorty headers may reduce the drone and quiet down the noise a bit so I'd definitely go with that if you are looking to buy headers

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
jaja has outlaws too and he said his wasnt so bad either... I dont know why mine is super drony, i mean its literally painful to be in the car at this point.

I was super excited to have them installed now its a huge regret and heartbreak.

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
I got outlaws too for almost half a year. When I first got them I felt the same way but they do get a lot better. And now I love hearing the sound of my car when driving. The only downside is on the interstate.

Sponsored

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Its a bit better with the windows down but its doesnt help one bit at highway cruise speeds because at that point its a lose lose situation, if the windows up no wind noise but deafening drone and vibrations. If the windows are down, then a little bit less drone (or so it seems, it could just be the wind canceling it out a bit) but then at highway speeds the windnoise becomes defeaning as well and ends up being worse.

My ears were ringing today after a 10 minute drive home.
Would aftermarket resonators work better than the factory ones already on the car?
Would an H pipe or X pipe lower drone at all?
Also going to take off my roush intake tomorrow and put back on the stock intake to see if that helps.
Sounds like yours is definitely worse than mine was. Windows down all but eliminates it for me. I hear the tone, rather than the drone, and it rhymes, so that's got to be good. :)

I have a 9-minute edited driving video with my LM2's. LMK if u want to compare.

I'm assuming you have the stock resonator/h-box up front? While up on the lift, I was amazed at how huge that thing is, and surprised it doesn't muffle more drone. But the resonators I was talking about are 18"-24" long glasspack, or ceramic-pack type resonators. They would be cut/welded, or cut/clamped in the straight part of the exhaust between the front resonator and the axle. I believe @BE6Pony is the person that added them to his. He has headers, though, but might want to talk to him.

H-Pipe will generally help with drone, but add rasp about equally to an X-Pipe.

The other thing to consider, is that if the exhaust shop had to change the length of the muffler pipes at all, that could have an effect on drone. If they messed up the cut, and had to add a piece of pipe, etc...

Last edited:

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
[MENTION=10447]AMAlexLazarus[/MENTION] has uploaded videos of the v6 with the borla touring, s-type, and ATAK on youtube

hoping to get the ATAK in a month :)

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=10447]AMAlexLazarus[/MENTION] has uploaded videos of the v6 with the borla touring, s-type, and ATAK on youtube

hoping to get the ATAK in a month :)
Man did Borla did a good job. The s-type is amazing

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
oh man after playing them loud on the speaker i cant decide now between the stinger and atak!
Exactly same here bro ! I personally prefers the stinger for more crack/burble. Its pricey tho... However my dealer told me theres likely an employee pricing event when my pony arrives which could save me 3k. If that happens, I will buy one right away
Sponsored