Installed Steeda Short Throw and Magnaflow Street Catback

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Just wanted to provide some feedback for others that may be considering these two mods. The shifter (part # 555-7316) is simply a huge improvement over stock - especially for $115.00. Not only are the throws shortened but the entire box feels more solid compared to the OEM configuration. As far as the Magnaflow Street goes it's a bit louder than I had hoped. I do love the sound but I'm sure my neighbors don't at 6:30 AM. If you keep the RPMs where they belong the Magnaflow is as advertised. The sound it makes on deceleration may be desirable to some but I find it annoying. That said I'm a senior citizen so that's probably my problem. Considering both mods were installed and the price tag was under $1000 I'll stop whining.
Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Just wanted to provide some feedback for others that may be considering these two mods. The shifter (part # 555-7316) is simply a huge improvement over stock - especially for $115.00. Not only are the throws shortened but the entire box feels more solid compared to the OEM configuration. As far as the Magnaflow Street goes it's a bit louder than I had hoped. I do love the sound but I'm sure my neighbors don't at 6:30 AM. If you keep the RPMs where they belong the Magnaflow is as advertised. The sound it makes on deceleration may be desirable to some but I find it annoying. That said I'm a senior citizen so that's probably my problem. Considering both mods were installed and the price tag was under $1000 I'll stop whining.
Wow! That's surprising to me about the exhaust. I have the Magnaflow Street and I think it's too quiet! I should take a drive so we can compare the two!

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Playfully recommends changing username to "krotchety" :lol:

How much research had you done prior to making your exhaust choice? Is it tone, drone, something else? Other than the deceleration noises.

Good to know about the short shifter.

RMCrump1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT; 2015 Mustang KB LE 316
Kinchy;
Did you install the shifter? If so, how hard was the install process?
Thanks

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
If you really want to get groovy, install the full shifter replacement. That's a bit more expensive and more of a task, but holy hell, it's an amazing improvement over stock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Regarding the research question..I spoke with friends in tuner facilities regarding their recommendations. I listened to all the sound clips provided by all the aftermarket and system manufacturers. I did that for quite a while. Like someone may have mentioned I was looking for a modest sound improvement not a system that was too loud and obnoxious. The Mag street was by far the most qualified predicated on that research. It doesn't drone and as I mentioned sounds fine even at 2000 rpm in 5-6th speed. It's the deceleration that makes it sound like I need a muffler. Like I said.. if that's the biggest problem I have this week I'll continue smiling.

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
It was done by an experienced technician. The install is simplified if done while the exhaust is being replaced. We did have an issue with reverse lockout that was rectified. There's just enough room to work with and at times a third hand and focused flashlight were necessary. It took 2 hours (remember the console, shift boot and all the nuts and bolts have to be removed from the inside as well) for the shifter and 40 minutes to install the magnaflow.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Regarding the research question..I spoke with friends in tuner facilities regarding their recommendations. I listened to all the sound clips provided by all the aftermarket and system manufacturers. I did that for quite a while. Like someone may have mentioned I was looking for a modest sound improvement not a system that was too loud and obnoxious. The Mag street was by far the most qualified predicated on that research. It doesn't drone and as I mentioned sounds fine even at 2000 rpm in 5-6th speed. It's the deceleration that makes it sound like I need a muffler. Like I said.. if that's the biggest problem I have this week I'll continue smiling.
I feel the same way about my Borla Touring. It's a little louder than I would like on cold starts and the highway. I guess those of us that were looking for a little louder than stock are in the minority.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Axle-back is the way to go if you want a "little louder". Went with Steeda and the sound & level is just right.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I always thought h-pipe or x-pipe with stock axle backs was the go-to for slightly louder, but not "full cat back" loud?

Sponsored

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
It's the deceleration that makes it sound like I need a muffler.
My setup used to pop and backfire a LOT during shifting and deceleration before I installed my cold air intake and a tune. Now when there's hardly any excess noise at all. Maybe one small crackle here and there, but NOTHING like it was before.

If you really want to get groovy, install the full shifter replacement. That's a bit more expensive and more of a task, but holy hell, it's an amazing improvement over stock.
Glad to hear this. The Steeda Tri-Ax is the shifter I've decided on. Hope to have one bought and installed before the end of the summer.

I feel the same way about my Borla Touring. It's a little louder than I would like on cold starts and the highway. I guess those of us that were looking for a little louder than stock are in the minority.
If the Borla Touring is too loud for you on a cold start, then stay FAR away from an H-pipe with axle-backs! My exhaust setup is loud enough in the morning to wake the dead! :lol:

I always thought h-pipe or x-pipe with stock axle backs was the go-to for slightly louder, but not "full cat back" loud?
Doing a simple resonator-delete and keeping everything else stock does improve the sound by quite a bit. Adding in aftermarket axle-backs to that equation turns the volume up to 11.

Last edited:

KWK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
I just installed the Magnaflow Street and wish it was louder. To each is own.........

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Dropping the reso raises the dBs but does not improve the tone.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If the Borla Touring is too loud for you on a cold start, then stay FAR away from an H-pipe with axle-backs! My exhaust setup is loud enough in the morning to wake the dead! :lol:
I'm gonna try to stay on good terms with my neighbors since I leave by 6:30 during the week. I might just go with turning mine into an axle back and reusing the stock resonator.
Sponsored