Z26 or Z23 powerstop pads

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Just installed Z26 pads and rotors on all 4 corners today and did the bedding procedure outlined.

I’ve only driven for <50 miles but I do have some significant brake noise. It’s not a squeak per say, but more of a light “grind” coming from front passenger side.

I did not grease the front pads, so I think I’m going to pull them out and grease the back of the pads. Do y’all grease the pins as well on the front brembos? Any other areas? The rear brakes have no issues/noises.
I only put grease on the sides where it slides and the back of the pad, but I doubt I needed to do that. No need to grease pins, but clean them up with scotchbrite pad, as well as the bolt. They are DEAD quiet, never had brakes this quiet before. No click, clack, swooshing to a stop, nothing. DEAD quiet. Amazing what a fixed caliper does.
Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I'm so happy with my Z26. The dust reduction is so worth it. The initial bite of breaking power is less than with OEM, but that actually improved with time so maybe I didn't get them hot enough when I bed them in.

MikeMr305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Is it fair to assume the initial bite being worse than oem is a shelby thing and the crap 4 piston GT brakes would probably be better off with some z26's? Or is the initial bite 'problem' a thing that affects everyone?
coming from a single piston brake Hyundai, I expected a bit better stopping power from the 4 piston brakes (even taking the added 800lbs lol) but I bought this thing used with 37k miles and should probably change the pads and disks before going out and dropping nearly 2 stacks on the 6 piston conversion lol.
and I don't really see a point in running z26's on all 4 corners. makes sense for the fronts but as a DD, would it even make the slightest difference running z23's in the rear?
them being the same compound and all

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
never mind, super quiet now after driving ~100 miles. Probably just needed longer to bed in

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
never mind, super quiet now after driving ~100 miles. Probably just needed longer to bed in
Good. Yea, as I said, mine got better with time as well. (always quiet, but braking got better, including the initial bite).

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
maybe I didn't get them hot enough when I bed them in.
I've got 2K miles on a set of Z26. The initial bite sucks, until you get them hot. They do like some heat.
I expected a bit better stopping power from the 4 piston brakes
The 4 piston brakes work great for me. You prpbably have glazed rotors.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I kept the 4 piston brakes and went with Steedas floating rotors for weight savings and better cooling. No regrets.

I suppose the Baer eradispeeds would work also but I don't like the slots pointing forward. My OCD.

MikeMr305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
ebay, SHelby Auctions, GT/PP1 take-offs all day.
Ive been considering, but most ive seen look f**ked up beyond belief, so knowing me, id want to go new

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ended up removing my Z26 pads. They were amazing street pads, and even worked good on our mountain runs uphill, but the downhill runs would push them past where they were happy and the brakes would begin to vibrate almost as if they were warped, but they obviously aren't. I'm guessing the actual friction surface was overheating and I was getting weird friction characteristics out of the pads. When I removed them they looked fine, but I'm back to the stock pads and all the dust to avoid that sketchy braking feeling in those downhill sections where I absolutely need to trust the car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but the downhill runs would push them past where they were happy and the brakes would begin to vibrate almost as if they were warped, but they obviously aren't.
I believe this is called pad smear where the pad material gets deposited on the rotor and you get judder.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Question for you guys that I haven't seen answered here....

How do the rotors LOOK?

My brakes are OK... the shop that did my springs pointed out to me that my rear rotors are "getting there"

I've wanted to replace the OEM brakes anyway because they look kinda junky. I sanded down and painted the visible hub black, so that helped, but that outside edge is still rusty and I kinda hate the look.

So since some of you have had the Z23 and Z26s for a while, how are they holding up visually long term? Have they built up rust like the OEM rotors?
Sponsored