Z06 Redline is a jab at the Voodoo…

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm quite certain that in the beginning development of the ZERV, GM purchased a Ferrari 458 engine and tore it to bits, likely learning a lot along the way,
This is what Ford should have done.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Z06 used the gt3 as a benchmark, I think it's much more likely that the engine benchmarks were based on it's actual competition such as the gt3 and not the gt350.

Z06 is in a totally different league than the gt350..
If Chevy was trying to compete with the GT3, they failed miserably. Their engine RPMs should have gone to 9,000.

Also, the piggy all aluminum 2 seat corvette weighs about what a GT350 weighs at over 3,700 lbs rather than close to 3,100 lbs like the GT3.

Corvette competing with GT3 - laughable.

Mustang has never ever been in the same market as Corvette.
This is funny. I cross shop Corvette, Camaro, Challenger and Mustang. They are definitely all sporty cars. Same market. If you think that no one who owns a Mustang has ever wanted to buy a Corvette, you are dreaming.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Interestingly Road and Track or Motor Trend has a comparison between the Porshe GT3 and Z06 in it's online issue that just came out. They rate it differently than you see it.

Edit, actually is is Motor Trend. https://www.motortrend.com/

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Understanding history is not living in the past. It doesn't interest everyone but there's no need to mock those who do. I do agree that the Mustang and the Corvette are not competitors although they cross paths. I also agree Chevrolet was not looking at the GT350 with the Z06. But having been around Ford execs I do know they are not above taking shots at each other at the bar.
If that is what you got out of the post, That is was mocking others. Then I can't help you, as your feelings get hurt if anything bad is pointed at A ford or history of. AND have selective memory of the history of. Ole Shelby was a business man, he used what he used because it was What he could get his hands on. If Zora Arkus-Duntov thought Chevy needed another Sports car powered by the Small block Chevy, Shelby would have dumped them into the AC cars, But he was told basicly to take a hike. The Mustang fell into his lap. And as a business man Saw he could fund his racing from it.
Not a bad thing, As it brought out Mustangs that Ford Could not manage to build. Heck Ford could not even build the Gt40 and get it to race well, It took failure a few times and then letting others run the program before it started doing well and winning. It IS great to reflect on history, ALL of it, and without bias. Fact of the matter is, if it was not for the rivalry between Chevy and Ford, we would not have the mustang or The camaro. they have both died in the 70's as a performance nameplate As there wasn't any performance in either one.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
If that is what you got out of the post, That is was mocking others. Then I can't help you, as your feelings get hurt if anything bad is pointed at A ford or history of. AND have selective memory of the history of. Ole Shelby was a business man, he used what he used because it was What he could get his hands on. If Zora Arkus-Duntov thought Chevy needed another Sports car powered by the Small block Chevy, Shelby would have dumped them into the AC cars, But he was told basicly to take a hike. The Mustang fell into his lap. And as a business man Saw he could fund his racing from it.
Not a bad thing, As it brought out Mustangs that Ford Could not manage to build. Heck Ford could not even build the Gt40 and get it to race well, It took failure a few times and then letting others run the program before it started doing well and winning. It IS great to reflect on history, ALL of it, and without bias. Fact of the matter is, if it was not for the rivalry between Chevy and Ford, we would not have the mustang or The camaro. they have both died in the 70's as a performance nameplate As there wasn't any performance in either one.

"Yawn seems some are still living in the past."

So this was a positive statement? And sorry, I dont get hurt feelings over trivia.

For the most part I agree with your post. Funny how some can argue with someone they agree with.

The Mustang did not fall in Carroll's lap. He was told you are doing this for us. Carroll was not in favor of the project. Other then that, You are correct.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

In 1964, when Lee Iacocca said, 'Shelby, I want you to make a sports car out of the Mustang,' the first thing I said was, 'Lee, you can't make a race horse out of a mule. I don't want to do it.' He said, 'I didn't ask you to make it; you work for me.'

Carroll Shelby

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Wonder why no jabs at the FP GT4 5.2.
Yeah it’s purpose built and this is about the VooDoo but the GT4 5.2 induction system is dumbed down for BoP reasons compared to the new Z06.
The FP 5.2’s HP per Liter is damn close to the Z06 HP per Liter.
The FP GT4 5.2 motor is more aligned with the Z06 (dry sump, 90° crank, etc.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure the GT4 engine is now cross plane crank. I'd love to have the redesigned rear control arms.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm pretty sure the GT4 engine is now cross plane crank.
Correct,
I rarely use the terms “Flat Plane /Cross Plane”
90° or 180° and in Powersport 120° for 3 cylinder motors.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Interestingly Road and Track or Motor Trend has a comparison between the Porshe GT3 and Z06 in it's online issue that just came out. They rate it differently than you see it.

Edit, actually is is Motor Trend. https://www.motortrend.com/
They are in the business of selling cars (and magazines). Definitely the Z06 has many positive things about it. If you want a car with an automatic that is a great cruiser and makes awesome noises, the Z06 fits the bill for sure.

The GT3 is very track focused and is a driver's car at 3,100 lbs. The Corvette's focus is making sure two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk. The sporty/track stuff is a lower priority. The Z06 probably matches up better with a 911 Turbo or something - less track focused, heavier, more of a cruiser, but still very fast if you nail it on an on-ramp.

It will be fun to find out over time how good the platform really is. I don't think any real performance information has come out yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how good the engine is as well. The last Z06 was good on paper but had a LOT of issues in the real world.
Sponsored

Last edited: