Sponsored

Z-plan grandfather passed away. Am I stuck paying consumer prices from that point on?

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
So, not to sound insensitive, but I lost my grandfather, who retired from Ford in the 1980s, several months ago. I had purchased several vehicle with his PIN code and Z-plan since about 2000 (Ranger 4x4 XLT, Focus ZTS, F150 XLT). What can I lean on to get a better deal from a Ford dealership? I'm looking specifically at 2020 GTs, but 2019 or 2018 would be fine too.

Thank you,
J
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Z plan wasn't a good deal to begin with. If you can't find a dealer locally who will sell for 9-11% off MSRP (make that 12-17% for F150) just order your vehicle from Zack @ Grainger Ford in Iowa. ~9% off of Mustangs all day, every day. 7% on Mach1.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Z plan wasn't a good deal to begin with. If you can't find a dealer locally who will sell for 9-11% off MSRP (make that 12-17% for F150) just order your vehicle from Zack @ Grainger Ford in Iowa. ~9% off of Mustangs all day, every day. 7% on Mach1.
Z plan is under invoice.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
grandma still alive?
Negative. Grandpa was around until he was about 88 years old. His daughter (my mother) is still around. I can remember far enough back into the 90s when grandchildren didn't qualify for A/Z plan.

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
Z plan is under invoice.
Yeah, I haven't really looked into this in a while, but back when I was getting Z-plan, it was pretty much no hassle, and under invoice. I really liked it that way, and to be honest, the deals seemed essentially unbeatable. I'll have to look into Granger, as that sounds like a great deal for a new vehicle.

My grandfather also used to be able to buy from the Ford/Mercury "B-stock", and I remember him picking up a Crown Vic (or the Mercury equivalent) and commenting that it's what all the young kids drove (hahaha, right!). :)

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I feel ya. My grandmother, surviving spouse, recently passed away as well. She got me a handful of z plans over the years. Was nice not having to haggle with the dealers. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the salesman on getting better deal. Especially now that everything seems to be selling at sticker.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Especially now that everything seems to be selling at sticker.
ask @WCGT. Lindsay Wheaton or Koons Silverspring. Both doing 11-13% off on new MY21. Just gotta lay down the law, and run THEM over, not the other way around.

Sponsored
OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
ask @WCGT. Lindsay Wheaton or Koons Silverspring. Both doing 11-13% off on new MY21. Just gotta lay down the law, and run THEM over, not the other way around.
When you guys and gals are buying at almost 15% under sticker, do you arrive with cash and or your own financing, or go through Ford Motor Credit?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
When you guys and gals are buying at almost 15% under sticker, do you arrive with cash and or your own financing, or go through Ford Motor Credit?
Doesn't matter. I don't discuss financing until the deal is done. If they won't abide, I walk.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used FoMoCo for the GT at 11% off and 0.9 for 36mo (Sheehy Springfield), and 'in-house' financing to get 12% off + rebates (15% total) from Lindsay when buying the EB. It was thru SunTrust at like 5% which is horrendous but I flipped the loan to BoA and 2%. I had Wellsfargo approval in-hand for the EB but Lindsay refused to sell the car to me unless I used their finance because they get a healthy kick-back from the banks - like 6 months worth of interest.

I go in knowing and having approval from lender(s) of my choice. So if I need to play the ace card it's already in my hand. IMO NEVER disclose your method of payment or how much you're putting down or that you have financing until the numbers are agreed-upon with sales droid+manager. Be open and non-committal. It's afterward, and behind closed doors with the finance guy is when you undercut the sales floor.

most dealerships around here (Metro DC) run a flat compensation schedule - $200/car regardless of it's value. Sales persons who beat their quota get additional rewards monthly/quarterly. If I like the sales person and they've been good to work with, I'll fold up a $50 and shake their hand when about to drive off the lot.

Last edited:

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I used pretty much the same tactic laid out by shogun.

busapilot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2020 Hayabusa
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2021 GT Premium, 401A, PP, Magnaride, AE,
I used FoMoCo for the GT at 11% off and 0.9 for 36mo (Sheehy Springfield), and 'in-house' financing to get 12% off + rebates (15% total) from Lindsay when buying the EB. It was thru SunTrust at like 5% which is horrendous but I flipped the loan to BoA and 2%. I had Wellsfargo approval in-hand for the EB but Lindsay refused to sell the car to me unless I used their finance because they get a healthy kick-back from the banks - like 6 months worth of interest.

I go in knowing and having approval from lender(s) of my choice. So if I need to play the ace card it's already in my hand. IMO NEVER disclose your method of payment or how much you're putting down or that you have financing until the numbers are agreed-upon with sales droid+manager. Be open and non-committal. It's afterward, and behind closed doors with the finance guy is when you undercut the sales floor.

most dealerships around here (Metro DC) run a flat compensation schedule - $200/car regardless of it's value. Sales persons who beat their quota get additional rewards monthly/quarterly. If I like the sales person and they've been good to work with, I'll fold up a $50 and shake their hand when about to drive off the lot.
Are you saying you bought a new mustang for 15% below msrp?
Sponsored