Your Thoughts on Ford (mustang) Moving To New Car Orders Only

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I see a lot can go wrong. I like to see the car on the lot and drive it. Delayed order dates, cars sold to wrong person, not what you ordered, etc. What about when the discounts expire while waiting? What do dealers do with their large new car lot area? I wont' finance until I have it. Maybe I don't want to put a deposit down either. I see lots of deposits being lost.

This is bad business. A lot of people are always in the market and get a bug to up and buy on the weekend. Its will no longer be attractive to do so. Might as well just cut out the middle man and let me go pick it up in Detroit and save the cash. No more BS delivery fees. Don't cut out the middle man, but then still take my money. I'm not giving my money for inconveniences.

As business works, if they can create a false problem, or at least make it worse to make money, they will. I think they are taking full advantage. I may not buy another new Ford if this is how it goes.

What is your plan? I know some already order theirs now and that is just a few.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
This is just the first step in eliminating dealers altogether.

Itā€˜s been coming on for a long time.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is just the first step in eliminating dealers altogether.

Itā€˜s been coming on for a long time.
They have tried that forever. Why will it work now? I do see it makes business sense to make less cars and cut dealer out. But, dealers brought them more business and more often.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
They have tried that forever. Why will it work now? I do see it makes business sense to make less cars and cut dealer out. But, dealers brought them more business and more often.
Why will it work now?

Internet, and an increasing number of folks who are more comfortable with it than they are people.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the new business model cuts out the sleazy upselling finance manager then how are they ever going to sell extended warranties, "service" contracts, and 500% markup paint protection packages?

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
You will order a car like you order anything else. You get online and check the boxes and your car get delivered. Deliver guy goes over it with you to make sure there's no damages and you got what you paid for. Payment aspect will be done also via internet. No haggling with anyone or making super secret deals. What's not to like about this?

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
If the new business model cuts out the sleazy upselling finance manager then how are they ever going to sell extended warranties, "service" contracts, and 500% markup paint protection packages?
Hey, c'mon now. Sleazy upselling finance managers have boat payments to make too, y'know.
šŸ’ø

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There are pluses and minuses for the manufacturer and consumer if they go that route but I don't see it being where dealers go away completely and I think to force all sales to be orders is silly.

The manufacturer will have less extra inventory and will not have to go with rebates or low rates as much BUT there is a huge impulse component to car sales. People want to take that shiny new car home that day, not in three months. You would essentially be making your customer go home to think about it.

The benefit to the customer is you get what you want down to all options and color but you will be paying more for it. No rebates, no haggle pricing, and no leftover inventory where you get the great deals. The only cars that will be discounted are the crap ones you can't give away otherwise.

The other thing for the customer is while I may have no problem ordering a car I would certainly want to have the option to test drive one before I do so. I would also like to compare it to other vehicles in the category.

Dealers may shrink some or some may go away but there will always be a need for them in some capacity. Maybe they wont have 20 F-150s and explorers but 5 instead and then if you love the car you can buy that one or if you want a different color you can order it.

mfk2910

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Farouk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
can you please link a source to this story? I always thought the Mustang's greatest selling point is that it's cheap and most Ford dealers have 20+ laying in the lot which makes it so fun to shop and find the one you like. I don't think Ford can do that to the mUstang. Especially not the Ecoboost model that you get for dirt cheap on a rainy day when the dealer wants to sell a car lol

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Another aspect of not having dealerships are service and warranty claims and how they are handled. I know were talking about the sales aspect here but (even as bad as many are) having a dealership to handle warranty claims, service repairs and even parts, in my opinion, is the most logical way to do this.

I'm not saying that a different system isn't possible but it would take a major restructuring to have individual shops certified to diagnose warranty work and submit that to Ford. There are a ton of logistics in just that aspect and farming that out in a different manner than having it all under one roof would be a tough rodeo.

What makes more sense is a systemic overhaul/refining of the existing system but there are so many variables to this business that for the time being, it will not change. But in the big picture, for better or worse, ideally, I still think the dealership model is the more coherent system. Its just unfortunate that it has so many bad actors.

And while there will be a percentage of folks that will buy sight unseen, there will still remain a large group of folks who want to feel and drive a car before they purchase it. Something can look great on screen and numbers but you may go drive it and be very unimpressed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
It's the only way to build all the customer cars now with the chip shortages. If every unit Ford builds is sold, the wait times will be less, and dealers won't have to stock 500+ cars. They will probably go back to stocking once the supply chain improves.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Nothing I've seen says "orders only". "We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days' supply," Farley told Reuters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...ild-to-order-than-pack-dealer-lots/ar-AAMTbi4

There's absolutely nothing in this idea that sets them up to eliminate dealers. They still need dealers to buffer supply of their most popular models and provide service and delivery.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Hey, c'mon now. Sleazy upselling finance managers have boat payments to make too, y'know.
šŸ’ø
Fair enough, and don't forget to tip the guy who puts 8 qts of oil in our engines because that's what they took 4 years ago. ;)

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
There's absolutely nothing in this idea that sets them up to eliminate dealers. They still need dealers to buffer supply of their most popular models and provide service and delivery.
Plus, NADA and other dealer organizations spend lots of lobbying dollars to ensure that we have no choice but to use them anyway.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I tested a base manual EB, an A10 HPP, an A10 GT and a six speed GT. Had to go to two dealers. From there I knew what I wanted. Ordered exactly what I wanted.
Sponsored