Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Of course my point wouldnt be as valid if you were comparing it to a classic, like the old Shelby replica or .......

Styling, age and heritage compensate heavily for refinements.

But just a generation or 2 back, S550 would be the one (perhaps with the TVS'd as SVTFreak pointed out ;) ) .
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I understand the desire. For example, I have a Shelby replica. No top, no PS, no PBrakes, no AC, a barely functioning heater and wipers. And fun as hell to drive. But the 03 isn't that. It's something in the middle. An attempt at a nice interior built on a chassis that is basically 25 years old. It doesn't turn, actually doesn't go straight that well either in the factory form. People throw out "yeah but you can do xxx". Sure you can do anything to anything. It was an incredible car, and people desire it for the same reason my dad wants a 63 corvette. It's what he wanted so bad before so he still wants it.

If you really want an unrefined feel, ditch the cobra. Admit that you just want it and quit trying to justify and I'll believe you.

Fwiw, yes it was the sheer raw feeling of power but a roush tvs'd 5.0 has much more raw, hand-of-God-pushing-you-down-the-road feeling than the cobra ever could. I owned both back to back.
Exactly right. You can wax nostalgic about the good old days but the best cars are being built in 2015! All performance numbers will point this out.:cheers:

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
all good points here. I gotta say tho, the least voted poll option was s197.. i almost feel like that one was kind of a fail ..

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
all good points here. I gotta say tho, the least voted poll option was s197.. i almost feel like that one was kind of a fail ..

Nah. Was a outstanding car when it came out although down on power to what it should have been. In a few years, there will be another generation who thinks it's the greatest thing (like fox lovers and terminator lovers) because it's nostalgic. They just can't drive yet.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Had you said S197 GT500 your replies would have been different. You can pick up a seriously low mileage 07-09 GT500 for around $30k and it is a good in between from S550 to Terminator in regards to chassis and creature comforts. Plus you get the added benefit of a PD blower sitting on top of the motor. As much as I LOVED my Cobra, I would have a hard time not going with a GT500.

Sponsored

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I had an 07 S197 and if I remember correctly I enjoyed it. Truth though I would easily take the sn95 cobra or an s550 over the s197 ANY day. I don't even know why but I just feel like the large boatyness wasn't all that great in the car... Of course my car didn't have a full out suspension or anything but the ole boys and these new boys handle waaaaay better than the s197 100% or at least thats my opinion

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Had you said S197 GT500 your replies would have been different. You can pick up a seriously low mileage 07-09 GT500 for around $30k and it is a good in between from S550 to Terminator in regards to chassis and creature comforts. Plus you get the added benefit of a PD blower sitting on top of the motor. As much as I LOVED my Cobra, I would have a hard time not going with a GT500.
However, the pre-'11 (iron block) GT500s are nose-heavy, understeering pigs. Had one. That car didn't live up to the hype for me, the only thing I miss about it is the glorious straight-line power (mine was pullied and tuned).....

I actually liked my '09 Bullitt better, a far better balanced car. If that one would have come with 5.0 power I'd probably still have it.

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
However, the pre-'11 (iron block) GT500s are nose-heavy, understeering pigs. Had one. That car didn't live up to the hype for me, the only thing I miss about it is the glorious straight-line power (mine was pullied and tuned).....

I actually liked my '09 Bullitt better, a far better balanced car. If that one would have come with 5.0 power I'd probably still have it.
The Bullitt was really sweet. I loved the fact that they brought that back. If i were to get a S197 I would love to have one of those simply because of how well they did it!

TypeTridoron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Impala SS
However, the pre-'11 (iron block) GT500s are nose-heavy, understeering pigs.
Wasn't that the one that Top Gear showed and demonstrated to be slower on a track than a Lotus Exige? Or was that the pre-'11 GT?

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Had a 99 Cobra. It was OK but I didn't love it. Never wanted an S197. Dearly love my S550.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The Bullitt was really sweet. I loved the fact that they brought that back. If i were to get a S197 I would love to have one of those simply because of how well they did it!
Agreed.

Wish I could have kept my '09 AND had the S550 as well....

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
My thoughts exactly....S550 and never look back.
This new one rocks.. I'm just wishin I had enough money to have gotten a GT with a roush supercharger... Then I would be fine I think lol

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You just opened and old wound!!!!
I had an 04 Redfire Coupe, very clean sold back in 2008 when my daughter was born ! I now have a 15' GT Premium/ Recaro Seats with Procharger P1X. The 15 is clearly faster much more refined and smooth, but I miss my Cobra and its violent tendencies, would take her back! Guy I sold the car too, emailed me last week, and said he dropped a valve driving on the highway and sold the car with a hurt motor.. Never told me.... I would've bought the car back.

Killer428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra convertible
I'm getting the itch for a terminator, the raw neck snapping power is just unreal.... I wonder how that car is to daily drive. I'm sure it would be fine ....
Since 2009 I have had a 04 Mystichrome Cobra 600 Hp and presently own a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra ,mostly stock ,that I have driven both as daily drivers. They are both a pleasure to drive everyday. I don't plan on ever selling it. But I am looking to buy one 2018 Royal Crimson Gt.

IMG_20191204_141459_725.jpg

DSC01434.JPG

Screenshot_20190827-195503-01.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: