You need camber plates or bolts after dropping 1 inch

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just thought I would share my findings for others regarding the need for an alignment and camber plates or bolts after lowering. I did a little research and asking before installing the Steeda progressive springs and there was mixed advice about whether camber plates were required (pretty typical). I ordered the Steeda plates with the suspension package but they weren't in stock so I cancelled them and installed the suspension without them. I then drove the car for a couple of thousand miles before putting it up on the lift for winter. It handled fine (street use only). I was looking at the front tires yesterday and saw that there was a visible amount of camber. After some measurements with a level, straight edge and tape (across the wheel face) I found a bit more than 2 degrees on each side. More research showed that 0.75 degrees more negative camber is to be expected after lowering 1 inch and there is zero front camber adjustment in the Mustang. I guess I wish I had found that before I installed the suspension. I'll install some BMR camber bolts and get an alignment in the spring after my new 285/35/19 tires and wheels get mounted. For street use I will aim for 1.3 to 1.5 degrees (tba).
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I added Steeda camber plates on my 1" drop and they were needed at the alignment shop. Highly recommended.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Even -2° camber is do-able on the street (with a good toe setting, anyway), though you're generally on the hook for having to normally drive the corners somewhat harder.

Scroll my sig pic down.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You *always* need camber plates. Hell, my F150 has them.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Maximum Motorsports makes an excellent camber plate.

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Even -2° camber is do-able on the street (with a good toe setting, anyway), though you're generally on the hook for having to normally drive the corners somewhat harder.

Scroll my sig pic down.

Norm
If I am not mistaken I probably have some toe out now....no measurements taken yet. What is a good toe setting with 2 deg camber?

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
zero. or at most 0.05 IN each side for 0.1 total.
Does a little toe in help with stability when you are running a wider tire (285)?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been running -2.0ish camber for years on the street and at very, very high speed driving at distance. I like it this way. But yes, to get into the range you’re seeking you’ll need plates or bolts after lowering.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. What type of wear pattern are you experiencing. In what manner would you say you drive your vehicle? I’m on Steeda linear springs that have a 1” drop. I ran a set of Michelin’s for 10k miles and have been running a set of Firestone’s for almost 8k miles, all without cambers plates, and I have no camber wear them what so ever. Camber was at 1.8-1.9 last I checked. My only consideration of camber plates were to run more negative camber.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My "you always need plates" was said in the spirit of, "you have a sports(y) car so of course you want to dial in whatever number suits your fancy", not that you couldn't reach -1.8 stock. I run -2.3 because I want to and I don't want my guy to have to struggle getting whatever setting I ask him for.

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My "you always need plates" was said in the spirit of, "you have a sports(y) car so of course you want to dial in whatever number suits your fancy", not that you couldn't reach -1.8 stock. I run -2.3 because I want to and I don't want my guy to have to struggle getting whatever setting I ask him for.
If we have a sports car how come there is no factory camber adjustment? Just wondering. Right now you get what you get for camber and some people seem fine living with 2 deg. Perhaps we fret over these things too much.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
zero. or at most 0.05 IN each side for 0.1 total.
I prefer toe out in the front help with corners run 0.1 Out each side for 0.2 total.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If we have a sports car how come there is no factory camber adjustment?
ask the GT350 crowd that sometime, eh? Because of those damnable bean counters. 99% of people who buy "sports" cars haven't the first friggin' clue how to drive, let alone know anything about setup.
Sponsored