Sponsored

You have to laugh - it's our fault our cars are easy to steal

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ob-pouch-box-microwave-thieves-stole-car.html

so because the car makers know even less about security than they know about making cars, it's up to owners to take extra steps to fix the inbuilt (in)security features of modern cars. I do use a pouch to protect the car but would be simpler to not have such crap security in the first place. No key, no drive. That and locking up for life any crims but thats a political view and we dont talk about that here :)
Sponsored

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
Got a faraday box here a few years ago for the fobs.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The latest Ford 'keyless' keys go to sleep to prevent this happening. Not sure if it has reached the Mustang yet, but most other European made models have it.

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
hasn't reached the mustang and isn't retro available for the older cars with this 'feature'

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I just deactivate the keyless entry in the options within sync3 on my 2019 GT, I think someone mentioned you can't on pre facelifts ? That's a bummer!
Cars are going missing at an alarming rate it would seem, I know 2 people who recently have had 16 plate Mercs.go missing, one broke in for keys the other just vanished off the drive.
The criminals will always find a way to beat the manufacturers systems, they always do so it's down to owners as it always sort of has been to secure with extra measures, sure it sucks but I can't remember a time you didn't.

Mines garaged at home, and i always (nearly!!) use my disclok when parking overnight somewhere else. Can't be arsed using it for shopping trips etc, i will take that chance!!!

Also anyone who has a Faraday pouch, test it every once in a while as mine stopped working when I had my M2, (you couldn't deactivate keyless entry)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
yeah the pre facelift you cannot deactivate the keyless entry. The keyless entry is the problem, manufactures refused to accept the system could be hacked and sued anyone that tried to tell the truth. Then the cover story broke and it became all too obvious that the system was crap. Whatever happened to the ole Thatcham approved remote locking / unlocking fobs. They worked just fine, with a key to start the car. Ahhh the good ole days, where's me rose tinted specs haha

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
With modern technology its a joke that the thieves know Everything !!! I work in Insurance and I have had in the last month 5 Range Rover type of vehicles get stolen and know within the local area of at least another 5 that have been stolen - I was even sent some cctv from a friend and it took the thieves some 30 seconds to steak a ÂŁ107k Range Rover of the drive. The trackers on all vehicles are meant to help but the thieves no how to combat them.

The best course of action is a visual deterrent like a steering wheel cover and even a Ghost immobiliser - But if thieves want your car they will get your car.

The latest trick appears to be trawling car parks and shopping centres to find the target vehicle and then somehow sticking a apple air tag to the vehicle, leaving it to go home and then having the home cased in order to steal the vehicle.

It makes me sick that I work my bits off to buy nice things and then some scumbag comes along and wants it and just takes it.

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
grrrr that is annoying. Time for the robo sentry guns from Aliens guarding the driveway :crackup:

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
If you have an iPhone it will alert you if an unknown air tag is travelling with you. You can tap on the alert (play sound) which allows you to find it by ear. Maybe stick it on a parked bus ?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
If you have an iPhone it will alert you if an unknown air tag is travelling with you. You can tap on the alert (play sound) which allows you to find it by ear. Maybe stick it on a parked bus ?
Can an AirTag be traced back to the owner?

Sponsored

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
Apple can and will provide the info to law enforcement on request.

Deleted member 35644

I wouldn't mind having a kill switch wired to the fuel pump or starter circuit for when I park at the airport.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I seem to remember that there were some old school techniques for deterring thieves. Anyone remember any that might still be useful?

Last edited:
OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
steering locks sure work, most thieves will move on to an easier target. Anything using technology can and will be defeated if it's not implemented properly. Keyless entry is just one of those helpful technologies that should be un-invented. If you're too lazy to use a key to open a car then you should be the passenger not the driver. Just my 2p

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Personally keyless entry and start is something I wouldn't have a car without. Current systems are pretty secure (not Mustang)
Sponsored