Sponsored

Wrong Size GT350 - What Should I do? Mounted 275/35/19 Need 285/35/19

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
All,

I know this is kind of a ridiculous post. But I recently got a really nice deal on some SVE 19x10 GT350s and some Conti DW 275/35/19 tires. They are currently on my car and are frankly amazing. Ride quality is excellent, especially when compared to the Pirelli P Zero Summers. Truly night and day.

I chose the 275/35/19 tire because I saw a few people running those. I found out the proper fit should be 285/35/19. The difference in diameter is just a half an inch and does not affect the driving experience or handling at all.

Although the difference is slight, the aesthetic of a shorter tire does not look as good as I had hoped and the wheel gap is frankly increased. If I were lowered this would not be a problem but I am at stock height.

Would love your suggestions:

1. Should I buy another set of Brand New tires and sell the old ones?

2. See if someone would like to trade?

3. I do not want to lower it so not much I can do

4. Sell the wheels and tires altogether and start over?

All options seem expensive.
mustangg.jpg
Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Are those the gloss graphite wheels

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All,

I know this is kind of a ridiculous post. But I recently got a really nice deal on some SVE 19x10 GT350s and some Conti DW 275/35/19 tires. They are currently on my car and are frankly amazing. Ride quality is excellent, especially when compared to the Pirelli P Zero Summers. Truly night and day.

I chose the 275/35/19 tire because I saw a few people running those. I found out the proper fit should be 285/35/19. The difference in diameter is just a half an inch and does not affect the driving experience or handling at all.

Although the difference is slight, the aesthetic of a shorter tire does not look as good as I had hoped and the wheel gap is frankly increased. If I were lowered this would not be a problem but I am at stock height.

Would love your suggestions:

1. Should I buy another set of Brand New tires and sell the old ones?

2. See if someone would like to trade?

3. I do not want to lower it so not much I can do

4. Sell the wheels and tires altogether and start over?

All options seem expensive.
For someone who wants to keep the stock ride height you would need a taller tire like a 275/40 to fill that gap up.

A 285/35 is only going to be about 0.3" taller and a 285/35 is a more expensive tire to get into.

Any reason you want to keep the stock ride height? There are a few companies like BMR that sell minimal lowering springs and Steeda that sell something similar with a 1" drop. That would be the cheapest route overall and you won't have any issues unless you are driving on some awful roads consistently.

If you can't live with those options and want to start over I would go with the 20"x10" version of this wheel with 275/35 on front and maybe a 305/35 on the rear.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For someone who wants to keep the stock ride height you would need a taller tire like a 275/40 to fill that gap up.

A 285/35 is only going to be about 0.3" taller and a 285/35 is a more expensive tire to get into.

Any reason you want to keep the stock ride height? There are a few companies like BMR that sell minimal lowering springs and Steeda that sell something similar with a 1" drop. That would be the cheapest route overall and you won't have any issues unless you are driving on some awful roads consistently.

If you can't live with those options and want to start over I would go with the 20"x10" version of this wheel with 275/35 on front and maybe a 305/35 on the rear.
Thank you for the input.

You are correct, the 285 is just slightly taller but is the same height as the stock wheel/tire combo I had that was 255/40/19. I liked that wheel gap.

A 275/40 might be a good option.

I really don't want to lower it as every time I have lowered a car on reasonable springs it has messed up the ride. I also live in Minnesota and drive this in winter daily with snow tires! So I don't think I should do that.

Sponsored

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
Thank you for the input.

You are correct, the 285 is just slightly taller but is the same height as the stock wheel/tire combo I had that was 255/40/19. I liked that wheel gap.

A 275/40 might be a good option.

I really don't want to lower it as every time I have lowered a car on reasonable springs it has messed up the ride. I also live in Minnesota and drive this in winter daily with snow tires! So I don't think I should do that.
I previously had my car lowered on Eibach Sportlines and I felt no degradation in ride quality. My current Air Lift system is amazing over the OE setup. Just my .02

I ran a 275/40 front and liked it. It'll help with wheel gap, but it won't fill it entirely.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You'll probably get used to the gap. i'd just run em. I had 275/35 for a bit and while it bothered me at first, it no longer bothered me after a couple of weeks.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Honestly brotha to save you a bit I say use them once the tires are done change the tires to bigger tires.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm with the OP, I don't want to go any lower due to my driveway and just don't have the desire to put lowering springs on. I also want to keep the tires being either the same diameter as stock or bigger. It seems to me it makes the most sense to jump up to a 20" wheel to allow me to use a 30 or 35 series tire? Looking it over the 20" tires seem to cost just a tad more and some of the options are limited in the different sizes. Does this sound reasonable?

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Thank you for the input.

You might want to check out the BMR minimum drop springs (089/082). A few of us have this set up & the ride is beautiful. I have 275/40/19 & it's perfect. There might be other minimum drop spring manufacturers there but don't know for sure.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Technically half that, the radius, is the wheel gap fill. So talking .15" of gap fill. So not worth it to spend another $1000.

That's why I went 20" on 275/35, that's a full 1" taller (27.6 vs 26.6") than 275/35/19 or 1/2" of wheel gap gone. Looks good even without lowering at all.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good math and a good perspective. Definitely not worth the $$$ to do anything. Just live with it.