Sponsored

Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
For those who have not been underneath their Mustang GT (and why would we when the dealer can change our oil ? jk) here is the shift damper. It is only on V8 models As you can see, those counterweights are substantial.

mustang%20xmsn%20a.jpg

mustang%20shift%20assy%20a.jpg
Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
For those who have not been underneath their Mustang GT (and why would we when the dealer can change our oil ? jk) here is the shift damper. It is only on V8 models As you can see, those counterweights are substantial.

mustang%20xmsn%20a.jpg

mustang%20shift%20assy%20a.jpg
i wonder if the primary role of those is to reduce deflection somewhere to improve the durability of the transmission, and the shifter feel is secondary?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
i wonder if the primary role of those is to reduce deflection somewhere to improve the durability of the transmission, and the shifter feel is secondary?
It's possible, Ford is not revealing what it actually does but they probably went to considerable time/effort/$$ to add it to the MT-82.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
It's all about the feel. Same thing with an upgraded steering wheel, billet reverse lockout, etc. You have your hands on these things constantly, and while it doesn't make you faster, it can improve your enjoyment of the car. Not to mention adding some uniqueness, which we all like to do.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got a new 510 gram shift knob from Shift Solutions. I had it in 3 days... certainly wasn’t expecting it that soon but awesome! I imagine it was a stocked item. It has a lock nut to stop knob rotation at the proper place. You just have to tweak until it sits right. I added a bit of threadlocker to the knob itself as well.

The weight is plenty. IMO any more would be overkill. It could probably be a bit lighter with no penalty to feel. My Barton reverse lockout pairs perfectly with no fitment issues. Driving with it is a different experience. The weight of the knob takes way some of the mechanical feedback and noise through the shift arm, which gives the shifter a more solid and quality feel. If you want to feel everything going on, a lighter knob is the ticket for you. I have yet to hear any of the minor vibrations that came with having the Blowfish bracket on there. Occasionally I was getting an annoying little buzz but it’s quiet now.

The Shift Solutions knob is virtually identical in size to the Twisted Shifterz Plastic knob I had. For reference that is 2.12” diameter for both of those vs 1.95” for the stock unit. I think the biggest difference however is in height. The stock knob is approx 1.50” while the larger balls are about 1.90”.

View media item 17369View media item 17368View media item 17367View media item 17370

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I got a new 510 gram shift knob from Shift Solutions. My Barton reverse lockout pairs perfectly with no fitment issues.
Your setup looks great. But do you think it's possible to lower the ball, by cutting the reverse lockout highest part about 1/3"? I'd like the ball to sit lower. After cutting that much, the lock-nut would have to be eliminated, but there're 3 potential solutions I can think of for that. 1. Add enough teflon tape to the threads, so ball screws down with enough effort not to move after being set. 2. By applying blue thread-locker and let it dry. 3. Just bottom out the shaft into the ball, and see if the lockout works. If ball doesn't align perfectly, just add a thin piece of hard rubber until it can be tightened to the correct orientation. Or just cut it 1/4", and the supplied lock nut could still be used. It'd be a matter of doing some tests.

By the way, that Barton reverse lockout part looks awesome. Will search for it. Thank you for posting that. And the ball is nice too.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
yeah a lot of stuff i don't think makes a huge difference unless you are doing everything and it's a small part of it. the control arms were the only thing that i ever used that made a significant difference, and that was because i was on the lowest and stiffest lowering springs you could get and my geometry was all out of wack. i'm still on the stock shock mounts also btw even though i was told they would explode if i lowered my car ;)
.....makes me wonder if 'high pile carpet' floor mats might help; with something...........:cwl:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Test-drove a Bullitt today, and when I got in, there was no freaking ball. Ha ha. It was stolen; geez. Along with the cover cap to get access to the 'emergency' cylinder lock. Dealer had an extra one, so I installed it myself. I can confirm it's a WEIGHTED cue ball. It was heavy, so probably the same 1/2-lb as others. Ball is awesome, and other than a little notchy 2-3 shift (done the right way), I really liked the tranny and shifter. And I've driven a lot of manuals, and with the best trannies around (Graziano, etc). I was expecting a crappy shifter, but was pleasantly surprised. It was so good that I wouldn't touch it :D. And no, I never rush shifts, so that won't ever be an issue for me. Had zero issues shifting spiritedly, so I'm another owner who doesn't get all the hate for this tranny. My last Vette had a stupid Tremec TR6060. and it was defective out of the factory, crunching on 1-2 when cold (a common issue). So I'm happy GTs have this Ford tranny :D.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your setup looks great. But do you think it's possible to lower the ball, by cutting the reverse lockout highest part about 1/3"? I'd like the ball to sit lower. After cutting that much, the lock-nut would have to be eliminated, but there're 3 potential solutions I can think of for that. 1. Add enough teflon tape to the threads, so ball screws down with enough effort not to move after being set. 2. By applying blue thread-locker and let it dry. 3. Just bottom out the shaft into the ball, and see if the lockout works. If ball doesn't align perfectly, just add a thin piece of hard rubber until it can be tightened to the correct orientation. Or just cut it 1/4", and the supplied lock nut could still be used. It'd be a matter of doing some tests.

By the way, that Barton reverse lockout part looks awesome. Will search for it. Thank you for posting that. And the ball is nice too.
Lowering the ball is not possible. If you were to screw the ball down any further, you would not be able to engage reverse. Mine is absolutely as low as it gets with this knob and the Barton reverse lockout. I tested it. The only way you could get around that is to put the reverse lockout in a lathe and cut back the part where it gets wider at the top. Then yes, I think you could go lower.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Lowering the ball is not possible.
Thanks man. You know, drove a Bullitt yesterday, and it already has a weighted ball, shifts really nice, and the height is just about perfect for me. And they're cheaper than unicorn fully-loaded PP1 GTs anyway, so an easy decision IMO. Didn't want a dark color for the dusty desert, but it's impossible to find everything you want in a car anyway, so an easy compromise when the car has everything else I want. And don't really care which of the 2 colors I get, so that'll make for an easier hunt. Should be joining the family soon :D

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
View media item 17383Here’s a bonus... Getting the plastic ball to come off was a bit of trouble. I could move it but the thing was tight and I needed more leverage. Just a spur of the moment thing that actually worked brilliantly for me was I had some of that rubber shelf liner laying around. I folded a piece over and wrapped it around the ball. Made it much easier especially with the added grip!

Moonhowl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium, 2018 Nissan Frontier, 2000 Harley

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone else's shift knob get really hot? If I don't cover it and the car's in the sun, the knob is too hot to grip properly.
I have an Anarchy Motive solid steel shift knob, and yes, it can get hot in the summer if the car is sitting out in the sun. Honestly, a few minutes of A/C blowing on it, and the reality is only a few minutes of discomfort in handling it.

But then, having a 6-speed shift pattern branded into my palm is a small price to pay for having a proper shift knob.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I have an Anarchy Motive solid steel shift knob, and yes, it can get hot in the summer if the car is sitting out in the sun. Honestly, a few minutes of A/C blowing on it, and the reality is only a few minutes of discomfort in handling it.

But then, having a 6-speed shift pattern branded into my palm is a small price to pay for having a proper shift knob.
Mine never really cooled off. 25 minute ride home from work and it was still just hot enough that I didn't want to keep my hand rested on it. Switched to the black Ford Performance one. It's ok, but not near heavy enough.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The heat hasn’t really been an issue for me. It gets a little warm but I think the finish helps. Even though it’s black, the knob has some texture to it. It’s waaay better than my Honda that has a smooth stainless ball! That thing is a branding iron.
Sponsored

Last edited: