Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by tomnelsonii, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Bikeman315

Bikeman315 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ira
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT/CS
    Retired
    0   0   0
    The MOMO website shows the weight as one pound.
    https://momo.com/en-us/products/shift-knobs-us/

2. Stephane4985

Stephane4985 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Stephane
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Black Mustang GT PP1
    0   0   0
    Weird, on the momo site, it says 1lbs, but when you click on the "Choose an option" box, it goes down to 0.5 lbs....

3. Bikeman315

Bikeman315 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ira
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT/CS
    Retired
    0   0   0
    There are two sizes, regular and small. That’s why the difference in weight.

4. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '10 LGT, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    Best guess - unless it's specifically for a weighted shift knob, the people who compose the advertising don't have any idea that it makes any difference. Probably because shipping costs would be about the same.

Chances are pretty good that the people who write advertising copy don't ever drive manual transmission cars, let alone one with a weighted shift knob.

Norm

nameuser likes this.
  5. S550_Dillon

S550_Dillon Member

First Name:
    Dillon
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP 6SPD
    0   0   0
    Hey guys,

Help me make a decision!
    I'm looking to get a weighted shift knob, but I don't know which weight to go with. My choices are between these 3 all from Shift Solutions Co...

BK-S 600 Grams
    20190425_123547-jpg.jpg

BK-SH 460 Grams
    img_4236-jpg.jpg

BK 700 Grams
    we-jpg.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    tomnelsonii

tomnelsonii Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
    IT
    0   0   0
    The knob I bought was 550 grams, not sure I would want to go heavier than that. But, everybody has their own preference.

7. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '10 LGT, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    You could try adding stick-on wheel balance weights to your OE knob until you find what you like. Then remove the knob and weigh the total. Might want to use painter's tape on the OE knob and lever, and over the weights so you don't feel them individually as much. If you have to stick the weights lower on the knob or on the lever, go with the first option that is lighter than that.

Norm

8. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Hmm, does this mean some enterprising fellow should come up with a machined AL knob that can take "standard" tungsten slugs (eg. AR buffer inserts)? I'm going to pass on depleted U235 though.

9. jrsimon27

jrsimon27 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT 2016 PP
    0   0   0
    Nice to know but its huge.

10. 3star2nr

3star2nr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    They probably recommend that to avoid damaging your shift forks...

I mean makes sense right, it's like driving with your hand not only resting on the shifter but tugging on it... That's why you don't want to go too heavy with a shift knob.

Also It may not be a bad idea to go no heavier than the gt350 knob for the stock mt82 shifter. And on a barton or MGW which are more precisely aligned and gives you the ability to fine tune adjust the shifter you can run heavier.

Not making a declarative saying, I have no science or data to back up my statements...

I just ordered my anarchy motive and about to get the Barton hybrid 3 so I'll follow up

jpogi likes this.
  11. Biggsy

Biggsy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle(s):
    '17 GT PP, '02 4Runner
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    i have one the heaviest Raceseng shift knob (Ashiko) at 735 grams. I have had it for a year, first on the stock shift, now (since March) on the MGW X Spec low profile. Shifts are better than ever to me ...unless its one of those ticking time bomb things although i hope not. I had the stock knob on it for a few days and the raceseng feels much better. Then again if it has to do with anything I am a bigger guy

12. 3star2nr

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    You arent going to wear out forks that quickly... Especially on a relatively brand new transmission.

When i said reduced life its more like if the forks were designed to survive 120k miles they'll survive 50k miles...

That said just my opinion in response to what MGW said about 1/2lb being the heaviest they'll go.

Knowing MGW theyre mostlikely being more conservative and overbuilding so 1lb is probably fine but that said I would trust a heavy knob on a aftermarket shifter more than on the stock shifter.

Some one who builds these trannies like Ben calimer and knows the clearances of the forks may be able to answer if this even is an issue

13. analogman

analogman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    If you really want a significant improvement in shifting feel, consider swapping the transmission fluid for something like BG Synchroshift II:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bg-synchroshift-ii-first-impressions.87513/#post-2254078

and adding a shifter bracket like the one from Blowfish Racing:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/blowfish-bracket-installed.87666/#post-2219743

I did both of those, and found the transformation to be remarkable. It feels like a completely different shifting experience, the way the transmission should have felt in the first place. I also swapped the shift knob for a steel one from Anarchy Motive, which feels much better, but the biggest improvements for me were from a combination of the BG Synchroshift II and especially the Blowfish Racing bracket. shifter2.JPG

14. jpogi

jpogi Active Member

First Name:
    JP
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
    0   0   0
    One pro of a lightweight knob is that it makes your hand more sensitive to the slightest resistance while going in gear. That in turn will make you adjust the the force of your arm till you feel an opening between gear teeth.

Of course, this doesn’t matter if you power thru with your right hand, like when you’re racing. So a heavier knob will definitely feel smoother, because it absorbs some of those faint resistance in the engagement between gears.

3star2nr likes this.
  15. 3star2nr

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    I finally got my anarchy motive knob. Its awesome made a massive difference but it reaffirmed my hunch that the weighted shifter is better when paired with an aftermarket shifter. My new knob feels alot higher and in some shifts I can feel more slop in the stock shifter.

I'll be putting in my Barton tomorrow so excited to see what that does for it.

That said this is definitely in the top 5 must do mods to a s550