GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So last summer my cheapo Chinese rotary tool died after 15 years, so I decided to replace it with a nice new one. So I bought a Dremel 4300, after 6 months it started having power and speed issues so I sent it back to Dremel. They replaced it with a brand new one in February, then on Tuesday the replacement started overheating and smoking, so while I await Dremel to process this failed unit I borrowed my brothers 3000 Dremel. Today it too just died, it was barely warm and turned off mid sand and no longer powers on. This is my first experience with Dremel products and it's pretty bad, do they have quality issues with their motors ?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My first one lasted quite a while with a reasonable amount of use before it lost a copper piece off the commutator.

Once I got the floater out it continued to work quite well on fast speeds, but it was poor on slow speeds and it ate the brushes.

It’s replacement is doing OK, but it only sees light use.

WD :like:

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The 3000 was out of warranty so I took it apart and cleaned it and noticed this. After reconnecting it was working fine again.

signal-2022-04-15-215528_001.jpeg

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I brutalized my first one for decades, the one you needed a wrench for the chuck. Always thought the shaft bearing would give out, but it never did. Had the new one for maybe ten years, but I'm not doing as much grinding/inletting anymore.

dpollard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt in Shadow Black
Like most reputable brands they suffer over time, as the need to cheapen the production process to remain competitive against cheaper imports capitalising against your non-longer unique selling point.

I had a couple of earlier dremels - which when running racing Elises's were a godsend trackside for running repairs. Both lasted over 10 years without issue.

I've now got a modern one - and doubt it it will last 3+years, even though it no longer gets the heavy use. Feels more plastic-y and you can see parts that were previously alloy are now cheaper plastic.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Dremel 3000 snapped another copper wire, so it seems this is an issue with this model.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Bosch are sending me another new one. Last time they sent me another complete retail box set with all the accessories :handsinair:
Sponsored