Sponsored

Would you say the number of service bays at a dealer dictates a products quality?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I was noticing while taking my mother in laws jeep to the dealer That the dealer buildings were about 2/3rds service bays. The dealer sells Mazda, jeep, Mercedes, Dodge and Chevrolet. I noticed that they had no joke around 35 service bays. The cars out side waiting were 3 rows deep and at least 30 cars long. They have service bays down both sides of the buildings and there are 3 buildings in total. I think if you counted they had more cars in for service then they had for sale.

IN comparison My local Ford dealer has about 12 service bays and almost no cars out side waiting. And they are a big ford dealer.

Just got me thinking if dealer needs to fix that many cars then what is the build quality?

Would you see the amount of cars out side a service area waiting to be fixed and would it change your mind if it was a lot of cars?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, the only possible indication of quality is how clean the shop is. A clean shop with high volume means the service manager has decent standards.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No. Also, why do you assume the cars were all waiting to be “fixed”? How about general maintenance? How about new car prep? You mention that this dealer sells Mercedes. Their service facilities are so clean you can eat off the floors.

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
Ashevile Ford is slow to get an appointment set up. The quick lane is hit or miss, I've had better luck with the quick lane at Ken Wilson. Never had an issue with the work being done at either and have bought several cars from both.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ashevile Ford is slow to get an appointment set up. The quick lane is hit or miss, I've had better luck with the quick lane at Ken Wilson. Never had an issue with the work being done at either and have bought several cars from both.
I was talking about ken Wilson. I have had good service there. Asheville ford.. eh...

Do you stil live in the area? Dont think I have seen an orange mustang around.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No. Also, why do you assume the cars were all waiting to be “fixed”? How about general maintenance? How about new car prep? You mention that this dealer sells Mercedes. Their service facilities are so clean you can eat off the floors.
None of the cars looked new is why i figured was not new car prep. service maybe. but i guess with not seeing what I saw its hard to explain through text. just seemed to be alot of cars is all. never sen so many out side a service area.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think a few people may be misunderstanding my point. Im not talking abut the shop itself or its quality of service im talking about if you see a lot of a a brand of car broken down or in a shop for repair would you then question the manufacturers build quality. I mean if I went to buy my Mustang and siting out side their service bay was 40 of them needing repair.... I might of changed my mind.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
The dealer sells Mazda, jeep, Mercedes, Dodge and Chevrolet.
a lot of different brands, not related to each other besides jeep/dodge... a good service department can be as lucrative as the sale department... the more bays you have the more technicians you can have and more service/repairs you can do.... meaning more $$$$$$

also, more bays means faster turn over time for customer... you know how many times i see "i haven't touched you car because my lift are busy with other cars"? just do the math... 50 lift + 50 cars for easy brake job at $100 each... 1 hour = $5000 now, do 15 bays, 50 cars, $100 each.... it will take you over 3 hours to make the same $5000... time is money...

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
a lot of different brands, not related to each other besides jeep/dodge... a good service department can be as lucrative as the sale department... the more bays you have the more technicians you can have and more service/repairs you can do.... meaning more $$$$$$

also, more bays means faster turn over time for customer... you know how many times i see "i haven't touched you car because my lift are busy with other cars"? just do the math... 50 lift + 50 cars for easy brake job at $100 each... 1 hour = $5000 now, do 15 bays, 50 cars, $100 each.... it will take you over 3 hours to make the same $5000... time is money...
Oh I understand all that. I think I really worded my post wrong. Its not about the service departments as most are answering. Im talking about manufacturer build quality and if a large number of cars in for service or the fact a dealer even needs such a huge service department is an indicator of build quality.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I understand all that. I think I really worded my post wrong. Its not about the service departments as most are answering. Im talking about manufacturer build quality and if a large number of cars in for service or the fact a dealer even needs such a huge service department is an indicator of build quality.
if that's the case, NISSAN should have a 100 bays at all their dealerships lol... worst cars in the US market

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
if that's the case, NISSAN should have a 100 bays at all their dealerships lol... worst cars in the US market
Lol rodger that. We have a juke, girlfriend loves it, that thing has been in for more service then my last 7 cars combined.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I think that basically all cars in their compatible price range are of equal quality and build. With the amount of vehicles rolling from the doors at the assembly plants world wide, and the continual expanse of technology. Well think about where we are.

150 years ago they could not even build a firearm that parts could be used on a different gun of same type. Now our cars are more advanced than the first generation of moon spacecraft. And people want more. Don't really get it, but it is what it is.

So by the time there is an known pattern issue with say an AC evaporator, how many vehicles have been manufactured. Then they need to research the hows, whys, whats.
I could ramble on but you should get the idea.

Never have been one to blame the manufacturer for doing so and so to save money. They understand economics. They make big money... and they lose big money

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You do not have sufficient information about the cars and why they are there to come to the conclusion you are trying to make. No a large number of cars at a service facility does not become an indicator of the brands quality.

Edit: You didn’t mention which brand. Possibly a recall. Flood damage. You should stop and ask. I’d like to know. :)

Last edited:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Lol rodger that. We have a juke, girlfriend loves it, that thing has been in for more service then my last 7 cars combined.
Off topic but it is a shame what has happened to Nissan in the past ~10 years. They used to make attractive, well built, and reliable cars, but they have been junk for past decade. I'm mostly blaming their awful management, partnership with Renault, and that dreaded CVT...

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off topic but it is a shame what has happened to Nissan in the past ~10 years. They used to make attractive, well built, and reliable cars, but they have been junk for past decade. I'm mostly blaming their awful management, partnership with Renault, and that dreaded CVT...
indeed... my first car here in the US was a 2001 nissan sentra... great car, i only have good things to say about that car...

now, me being on the automotive industry for the past 8 years... i wouldn't touch a nissan under any circumstances... to the point that we avoid nissan inventory even when they sell cheap and people like the looks... terrible terrible quality and reliability... from the transmission issues due to bad radiator design to cheap plastic made chain guides, extremely shitty cvt trans, etc etc... i don't remember having more than 1 altima or sentra on inventory over 15-20 toyotas/hondas... i could sell 50 F150/silverados for every titan/frontier combined...

all brands have issues and gremlins, i think i can name multiple for every model of every brand... but nissan is the worst
Sponsored