Sponsored

Would you say the mt-82 clutch feel is "numb" compared to other cars?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Funny you mention this. My Steeda spring arrives tomorrow. After 15K miles, I figured it couldn't hurt giving it a shot as so many people say it's a significant improvement.

If there's anything I would say feels vague and detached, it's the accelerator pedal which is nothing but an electric controller. Now THAT is a far cry from the old days where you had a cable right to the throttle body. I got a Pedal Commander to fix that on days where I feel like driving frisky...
I waited a long time to try the steeda spring as well. Overall, it's not a monumental improvement, but the bite point feels more natural now becuase you don't have 200 pounds of spring pressure trying to throw your leg off the pedal. Easier to modulate, especially on hills or when backing up.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What is involved in the fluid change? Which fluid? Jack stands work or lift? Thanks
I did mine a few weeks ago. Easy enough on Jack stands. I used bg as well. Not a huge improvement but I'm at 45k miles so a fluid change was good for piece of mind.

As far as the notchy feeling in the s550 goes... definitely more so than any honda I've ever driven but not nearly as bad as the Hyundai I had before the mustang.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I waited a long time to try the steeda spring as well. Overall, it's not a monumental improvement, but the bite point feels more natural now becuase you don't have 200 pounds of spring pressure trying to throw your leg off the pedal. Easier to modulate, especially on hills or when backing up.

I did not have a problem with the spring rate as such. There is utube out there, that actually show both Steeda and Ford generally have the same force .

What is different is the force curve, the ford comes on 1/3 - 1/2 out. The Steeda's transition has a more consistence rate of force thru out the clutch cycle in- out.

That consistency provides a better more accurate feel for the clutch engagement to flywheel .

Reactions: dx2

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Biggest reward is a ss, but it’s not cheap abs gotta install

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I think the Steeda spring was a nice difference. I drove almost a year on the stock clutch before I tried the Steeda, and within a day I was convinced I liked the feel with the Steeda more.

I think about doing the BG fluid sometime. Mostly I am very happy with how it feels though so I am hesitant to change much.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I ordered a Steeda spring the day after getting my car. All my other manual cars were a T56 and had a much different clutch feel. The spring helped make it feel a noticeable bit better.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
what about just leaving the spring out all together? I thought I saw something on here about that.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My comments on the Steeda clutch spring :

F2375566-ADEF-4-FDE-B798-5-AE694299639.jpg

I think the locking pliers cost as much as the spring ... :facepalm:

The springs easy to fit with that tool and following the instructions - I’m not quite sure just how heavy handed you need to be to break the perch ... ? (Or perhaps Ford have beefed it up a little as the years have gone on ?).

Impressions ... ? Well, bear in in mind I’ve drove manual for 27 years and didn’t really have a problem with the original setup, but the spring was cheap and I already had it in the spares box so I had little to lose. Normal driving it only makes a little difference on initial setting off, it kind of feels like the pedal is a little harder, BUT only through a bit of it’s travel (about a third of the way through its travel as you release the clutch). It does kind of feel a bit more ‘linear’.

So after driving it around the estate so I had plenty stop start driving, I could take it or leave it - no real benefit (for me). However, I reverse up my drive through a gate on a bit of an incline at a speed where I’m right on the biting point of the clutch - in that scenario there was a marked improvement in feel / control. On those grounds alone I would recommend it (for me), especially considering the nominal outlay :like:
WD :like:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
what about just leaving the spring out all together? I thought I saw something on here about that.
Not recommended, since in theory the pedal's weight will apply constant hydraulic pressure against the slave cylinder. HOWEVER, I think in reality it will NEVER matter since the hydraulic pressure goes up to many times what it is at rest when you push the pedal in. In fact, the 2019-2020 GT350 has no assist spring at all.

Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
I did not have a problem with the spring rate as such. There is utube out there, that actually show both Steeda and Ford generally have the same force .

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
honestly they should just start shipping mustangs with the steeda spring in the glove box lmao.
My dealer handed over the GT with the stock spring in the glove box :)

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
The Honda still uses a cable, I'm guessing. That would explain most of the difference.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would not suggest it, is your car.
My dealer handed over the GT with the stock spring in the glove box :)
Oh man that's rich .....!.... stick with them, Reads like they know the Mustang. Thumbs UP

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not recommended, since in theory the pedal's weight will apply constant hydraulic pressure against the slave cylinder. HOWEVER, I think in reality it will NEVER matter since the hydraulic pressure goes up to many times what it is at rest when you push the pedal in. In fact, the 2019-2020 GT350 has no assist spring at all.
The service manual illustrates, all pedal assemblies as the same ?

Good theory just has a huge hole in it LOL
For starters, parked, winter storage. Bet my next pay check it sits longer than it is used, over the total time the user owns the car?.
Think about it
Sponsored