Sponsored

"Would you rather.....?" GT350/Shelby owners and their strange sensibilities

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You're in need of life saving, complicated and dangerous surgery to prevent your demise.

Your only 2 options are, a surgeon who's highly esteemed but never done the procedure before, or one that's done the procedure once, but failed and the patient died. Which do you choose?

Or even more applicable, you must jump out of an airplane. You can pick the parachute that's old and worn and been successfully jumped 3,000 times, or you can jump a brand new one that's never been used or stressed. Which do you choose?

You see, with all the motor replacements we've all seen with GT350's (the internet feels like the motors are terrible because motor replacements get communicated, but non-issues remain largely out of sight and out of mind).

It's the old interweb phenomenon where mostly negative experiences are communicated. People don't come on forums and post "drove my car today for the 100th time with no issues!"

So the point of this thread is....would you rather buy a used GT350, with 40k miles on it and all original components. OR, would you rather buy the same car with 40k miles, but the motor has just been replaced by Ford/Dealer Service center?

I find it curious how many people discount or fault a car that's had an engine replacement as if it's a knock against the car. It's curious and puzzling to me. In virtually ANY other used car transaction, a NEW motor or a NEW transmission (especially when installed by Ford) would be a positive aspect of the sale.

No one says "man, he just replaced the brakes and tires on the car, I don't know if it's worth as much as this other one that still has the original brakes and tires on it."

Our "community" of enthusiasts can be quite snobbish and irrational at times. Christ we have vampires selling owner's supplements for $400+ and prima donnas paying those prices because they're convinced that the car is worth more if it has the marketing trinkets from Ford (and worth less if it doesn't).
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Doesn't matter to me, which ever one comes with the warranty. I'll likely need a new motor after I've accumulated 50 hours of race time anyways which is the FP350S engine refresh cycle.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
IMO, it's not a positive āœ… to see something as big as a motor replaced in a specialty vehicle, or hell any vehicle for that matter. There's so many variables that come with that. What else has failed during that cars lifetime? transmission? gear housing? drive axles? All of that comes in to play so you can paint a story of how the previous owner may have treated said vehicle or if it's a lemon.

You also need to get your eyes on the vehicle for a proper inspection. If it's super clean and looks to be well taken care of with ONLY the engine replacement, then it MAY make the purchase list! But then you now roll the dice on if the replacement work was properly performed. There's just too many variables in my book. I'd rather pass and look for an example with no issues.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
IMO, it's not a positive āœ… to see something as big as a motor replaced in a specialty vehicle, or hell any vehicle for that matter. There's so many variables that come with that. What else has failed during that cars lifetime? transmission? gear housing? drive axles? All of that comes in to play so you can paint a story of how the previous owner may have treated said vehicle or if it's a lemon.

You also need to get your eyes on the vehicle for a proper inspection. If it's super clean and looks to be well taken care of with ONLY the engine replacement, then it MAY make the purchase list! But then you now roll the dice on if the replacement work was properly performed. There's just too many variables in my book. I'd rather pass and look for an example with no issues.
I'd normally agree somewhat, but if the work has been done by Ford and they're OEM parts, I have zero problem with new/fresh assemblies, especially major assemblies like the trans and motor.

Hell, at some point, GT350's are gonna be old enough to see triple digit mileage and despite Shelby enthusiast snobbery, replaced power train parts are GOING to be necessary, abuse or otherwise.

I think it mainly stems from the faction of Shelby owners who somehow have visions that they're car is a collector item and they're worried about the Mecum/Barret Jackson resale value for part matched or replacement parts. We'll be long dead before that becomes an issue, but you get people out there that are so ****ing psychotic they'd turn their nose up if the car has a replacement windshield on it.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I'd normally agree somewhat, but if the work has been done by Ford and they're OEM parts, I have zero problem with new/fresh assemblies, especially major assemblies like the trans and motor.

Hell, at some point, GT350's are gonna be old enough to see triple digit mileage and despite Shelby enthusiast snobbery, replaced power train parts are GOING to be necessary, abuse or otherwise.

I think it mainly stems from the faction of Shelby owners who somehow have visions that they're car is a collector item and they're worried about the Mecum/Barret Jackson resale value for part matched or replacement parts. We'll be long dead before that becomes an issue, but you get people out there that are so ****ing psychotic they'd turn their nose up if the car has a replacement windshield on it.

I agree. If the engine replacement was performed by Ford using OEM parts with a nice warranty attached, that's a positive if it's history report checks out. But! it's now at the top of the MAYBE list, Lol.

Others see it as a positive, I just see it with a skeptical eye is all. I have 54k miles on mine, modded to hell and do not have the collector mentality. What I do have is a touch of OCD and trust issues :crazy: .

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
If any vehicle had high miles and the engine was replaced, it wouldnā€™t be questioned. It would be a bonus. I donā€™t see any correlation to an engine being replaced and problems with say the transmission, half shafts, spindles, ac, windows, etc. If we were talking about say a 69 Mach 1 that was restored, we wouldnā€˜t question the engine being rebuilt. The reality is even as many of the regular 350ā€™s were produced, the pristine examples are not a dime a dozen.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If any vehicle had high miles and the engine was replaced, it wouldnā€™t be questioned. It would be a bonus. I donā€™t see any correlation to an engine being replaced and problems with say the transmission, half shafts, spindles, ac, windows, etc. If we were talking about say a 69 Mach 1 that was restored, we wouldnā€˜t question the engine being rebuilt. The reality is even as many of the regular 350ā€™s were produced, the pristine examples are not a dime a dozen.
That's my point. I too would want to know what caused an early replacement, but I think a big % of the hesitation with replacement motor cars has more to do with haughty Shelby owners who have dreamy expectations about the car being a pristine, parts matching virgin. Again, it's the same crowd that won't let anyone else change the oil (than Ford). Christ, there are guys that literally stress out because they can't get MPSS or Sport Cup 2 tires and it gives them night sweats to have to run a tire or size that's not EXACTLY what Ford delivered with the car.

As long as Ford did the work, I'm fine with new parts, just fresher than it was and in some cases there are MINOR improvements (i.e Ford using a Gen 3 5.2 block, updated oil filtrations, etc).

In the very near future, getting replacement Recaros is going to be either incredibly difficult or impossible and wait until used seats are going for $10k a set, because someone has frayed/worn bolsters and they don't want the tacky look of worn seats but can't bring themselves to replace with anything other than Ford/Shelby licensed Recaros as a replacement.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
lol, completely agree. I admit Iā€™m ocd with my cars, but not to the point of lunacy, hopefully. These cars offer a visceral experience that art on the wall doesnā€™t. Thatā€™s the appeal for me.

That's my point. I too would want to know what caused an early replacement, but I think a big % of the hesitation with replacement motor cars has more to do with haughty Shelby owners who have dreamy expectations about the car being a pristine, parts matching virgin. Again, it's the same crowd that won't let anyone else change the oil (than Ford). Christ, there are guys that literally stress out because they can't get MPSS or Sport Cup 2 tires and it gives them night sweats to have to run a tire or size that's not EXACTLY what Ford delivered with the car.

As long as Ford did the work, I'm fine with new parts, just fresher than it was and in some cases there are MINOR improvements (i.e Ford using a Gen 3 5.2 block, updated oil filtrations, etc).

In the very near future, getting replacement Recaros is going to be either incredibly difficult or impossible and wait until used seats are going for $10k a set, because someone has frayed/worn bolsters and they don't want the tacky look of worn seats but can't bring themselves to replace with anything other than Ford/Shelby licensed Recaros as a replacement.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

There are other solutions out there where you could spend 10K instead on but the below is what an upholstery shop did for another member for 5K (1K was spent on a heated/comfort donor). R Recaros with heated and cooled built-in.

1640751194959.png
1640751208089.png

1640751222949.png

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s pretty slick. Question. Are those harnessā€™s ASM? The track closest to me in Colorado will not accept any 4 point even with ASM.

There are other solutions out there where you could spend 10K instead on but the below is what an upholstery shop did for 5K (1K was spent on a heated/comfort donor). R Recaros with heated and cooled built-in.

1640751194959.png
1640751208089.png

1640751222949.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There are other solutions out there where you could spend 10K instead on but the below is what an upholstery shop did for 5K (1K was spent on a heated/comfort donor). R Recaros with heated and cooled built-in.

1640751194959.png
1640751208089.png

1640751222949.png
Brother, I'm totally with you. Love your seats and what you've done. The reason the price of the seats continue to climb is the same reason that OEM rear R wings continue to grow outrageous. There's a bunch of Shelby owners who think anything but OEM components is sacrilege. Every so often, someone gets a crack or scratches on their R wing and they want a better one and they're willing to pay outrageous amounts to avoid having to replace it with a non-OEM part.

I sold my alcantara recaros and replaced them with leather recaros (I hate alcantara). I could have had an upholstery shop simply reskin the Shelby recaros but I really like the feel and the style of the other (Ford Performance) Recaros.

Anyway, looks beautiful and well done.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thatā€™s pretty slick. Question. Are those harnessā€™s ASM? The track closest to me in Colorado will not accept any 4 point even with ASM.
I can't take any credit for the above photos they were from another person on another forum. Loved to do it for myself though!

That's disappointing to hear that they do not allow the 4 point even with ASM. I hope I do not have those issues tho. I just purchased the Schroth. I suspect those that haven't "had" any issues likely checked the box for dot belts are in great shape but just ran the 4 point with asm.

Chin's tech sheet:
1640753208606.png

I suppose it doesn't state you cannot... how did you discover this? I assume you questioned the tech sheet?

This is Jzilla's and they appear not to have any issues with 4 point asm.
1640753608087.png

Brother, I'm totally with you. Love your seats and what you've done. The reason the price of the seats continue to climb is the same reason that OEM rear R wings continue to grow outrageous. There's a bunch of Shelby owners who think anything but OEM components is sacrilege. Every so often, someone gets a crack or scratches on their R wing and they want a better one and they're willing to pay outrageous amounts to avoid having to replace it with a non-OEM part.

I sold my alcantara recaros and replaced them with leather recaros (I hate alcantara). I could have had an upholstery shop simply reskin the Shelby recaros but I really like the feel and the style of the other (Ford Performance) Recaros.

Anyway, looks beautiful and well done.
I can't take credits for the photos! Was a quick search... but yeah I can understand your point of view an feel.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
For an alternate POV, alter the analogies a little.

The whole problem i saw, and experienced myself, was the doctor that was allegedly so good at this procedure, had an attention to detail hovering around a 2/10 level. (Gave my car back after motor swap TWICE with a CEL). That same doctor couldnā€™t do a way simpler procedure(correctly install the front splitter) with consistency and bamā€¦you have your distrust in the heart replacement surgery.

While i get what youā€˜re saying, and i myself had rather have the newer motor, it is a complete turnoff to apparently everyone else lol. I couldnā€™t give mine away once i mentioned the replacement and had to trade it in, dealer i dealt with didnā€™t seem to care about the warranty work.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I think if your Gen1 now has a Gen2, you're ahead.
Sponsored