Sponsored

Would you put Pirelli PZero Nero’s on your daughters car?

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
When I bought my 2018, I immediately took the 18 inch wheels off and put on 20s with new tires. So I’ve had the original 18 inch wheels and tires sitting in my garage for two years now. I handed down my 06 GT to my daughter, and she now needs new tires. Simplest thing to do would be to just give her the Perelli‘s. However I kind of remember reading on the site that a lot of people thought they were crappy and didn’t have very good traction in the Rain etc. A new set of Conti’s will be about 650 bucks. My daughter is almost 20, and the 06 does not have traction control. She doesn’t drive it much since she’s a college, but if the Pirelli’s are crappy in the rain with no traction control, I’ll probably spring for the 650.

So what would you do?

ETA - The Pirelli’s are the exact same size as her current tires.
I should clarify – these are the Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, so not summer tire.The date on the tire says they were produced the 27th week of 2007 so they’re not quite three years old. They’ve been sitting in my garage untouched, so not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. Id say they got at least two or three years on them. As far as the traction control on the 06, I could be wrong about that I’ll have to check.

My daughter had a blowout this weekend, so when I went to change the tire instead of using the crappy spare in the trunk, I put one of the Pirelli‘s on. When I was driving it back to her dorm, when accelerating lightly at a green light, the Pirelli lost traction. That is why I am concerned for the most part.
Hello Rash-

Reading through this thread a few things stuck out that I wanted to offer assistance/information on. You had indicated part of your concern came from putting one of the Pirelli's in with the newer 20's as a temp tire rather than using a spare. A few things to consider regarding the loss of traction: 1 is the condition of the newer tires, if you put a partially worn Pirelli on the drive axle with a much newer or even slightly better wet traction tire, the vehicles axle will spin whichever tire has less traction first. The other is the over all rolling diameter, if the 18's have a slightly different rolling diameter than the 20's it could cause slight traction issues as well.

As far as the Pirelli's in general. Tires are a product of compromise, no tire will score 5 out of 5 in every performance attribute however the Pirelli A/S typically does well in the wet traction category.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Hello Rash-

Reading through this thread a few things stuck out that I wanted to offer assistance/information on. You had indicated part of your concern came from putting one of the Pirelli's in with the newer 20's as a temp tire rather than using a spare. A few things to consider regarding the loss of traction: 1 is the condition of the newer tires, if you put a partially worn Pirelli on the drive axle with a much newer or even slightly better wet traction tire, the vehicles axle will spin whichever tire has less traction first. The other is the over all rolling diameter, if the 18's have a slightly different rolling diameter than the 20's it could cause slight traction issues as well.

As far as the Pirelli's in general. Tires are a product of compromise, no tire will score 5 out of 5 in every performance attribute however the Pirelli A/S typically does well in the wet traction category.
Thanks for the reply and info. To clarify - the car that I put the Pirelli on has the exact same size (235/50/R18) Conti Extreme Contact on them as the Pirelli. Pirelli is basically new (20 miles on it), while the Contis have 35K miles, so the better traction should have been the Pirelli. It was drizzling, and the Pirelli spun on normal acceleration from a red light.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the reply and info. To clarify - the car that I put the Pirelli on has the exact same size (235/50/R18) Conti Extreme Contact on them as the Pirelli. Pirelli is basically new (20 miles on it), while the Contis have 35K miles, so the better traction should have been the Pirelli. It was drizzling, and the Pirelli spun on normal acceleration from a red light.
I currently have the Pirelli's on my 19' GT/CS. I had Michelin PS AS3+ on my old 15' EB. Yes the Michelins were the better overall tire but with only 5K on the Pirelli's I find them to be fine.

By the way when you broke traction did you get out of the car to check the road surface? Kidding, no one does that, but there could have been oil on the road.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
I had PZero tires on a 2014 GT Track Pack from new. forget about wet weather!! In my opinion the Pirelli summer compound tires tend to turn to hockey pucks at around 60 degrees with no sun to warm the pavement. Mine were treacherous in 50 degree weather when sunny. I used to put my car away for winter when temps got around 60, usually early Oct. in Chicago. This past fall I kept the car out until mid Oct. and the tire temp threshold slipped my mind. That car is now gone and almost took me along with it. 50 degrees and sunny, lost traction on the highway accelerating at about 40 mph, put the car under the side of a moving tractor trailer. I have driven Performance cars since 1987. I never had a car get away at that speed as badly and as quickly. It was absolutely uncontrollable, couldn't even get the car to slow when trying to put the back end out front, like 360's on ice. Get her better tires.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had PZero tires on a 2014 GT Track Pack from new. forget about wet weather!! In my opinion the Pirelli summer compound tires tend to turn to hockey pucks at around 60 degrees with no sun to warm the pavement. Mine were treacherous in 50 degree weather when sunny. I used to put my car away for winter when temps got around 60, usually early Oct. in Chicago. This past fall I kept the car out until mid Oct. and the tire temp threshold slipped my mind. That car is now gone and almost took me along with it. 50 degrees and sunny, lost traction on the highway accelerating at about 40 mph, put the car under the side of a moving tractor trailer. I have driven Performance cars since 1987. I never had a car get away at that speed as badly and as quickly. It was absolutely uncontrollable, couldn't even get the car to slow when trying to put the back end out front, like 360's on ice. Get her better tires.
The OP has A/S tires. These will be just fine for his daughters car. Your summers, well that’s another story.

Sponsored

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
I am not sure , but I think those P Zero A/S tires use a summer rubber compound?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I’ve had the wheels/ tires on craigslist for two years now nobody wants them.

Haven’t made up my mind, which is why I posted here. Appreciate all the comments so far.
i wish you were closer...i could use the tires.

CVCashmere
Sponsored