Sponsored

Would you put Pirelli PZero Nero’s on your daughters car?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
When I bought my 2018, I immediately took the 18 inch wheels off and put on 20s with new tires. So I’ve had the original 18 inch wheels and tires sitting in my garage for two years now. I handed down my 06 GT to my daughter, and she now needs new tires. Simplest thing to do would be to just give her the Perelli‘s. However I kind of remember reading on the site that a lot of people thought they were crappy and didn’t have very good traction in the Rain etc. A new set of Conti’s will be about 650 bucks. My daughter is almost 20, and the 06 does not have traction control. She doesn’t drive it much since she’s a college, but if the Pirelli’s are crappy in the rain with no traction control, I’ll probably spring for the 650.

So what would you do?

ETA - The Pirelli’s are the exact same size as her current tires.
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I drive my GT with the original Pirellis. While they are not exactly high performance tires, for normal driving I believe they'd be fine. Thousands of Mustangs come with the OEM and aside from some Cars&Coffee fiascos most Mustangs stay in their lane.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The first thing to consider is the age of the tire. Most safety groups say they expire 6 years from the date of manufacture. Here is some info:
Tire aging is a “hidden hazard” because most consumers don’t know that tires expire in six years and it is difficult for most consumers to tell how old a tire is without deciphering an 11 digit code that is imprinted on the side of the tire. Fortunately, you can crack the code on the side of a tire to determine a tire’s actual age. You can either obtain a free Tire Facts Report from this website or you can do it the old-fashioned way. Federal rules mandate that the tire’s D.O.T. code be clearly branded or etched on the side of each tire. 3 For most tires, the D.O.T. number is typically 11 digits. If the tire has only 10 digits, the tire was manufactured before the year 2000. A current D.O.T. number looks like this for a tire made in the fifth week of 2011:

How-to-Read-TIRE-DOT-Number.png

The PZero Nero is a summer tire, well rated, but not recommended for temps below freezing.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+Nero

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I had them as my winter set on my 16 Gt and while yes hard acceleration in near zero temps they slipped that’s to be expected. I want to say that was the original equipment on my 05 and 06 Gt. Never remember having issues. I think a majority of the “problems “ is people want a more aggressive/better griping tire and that’s more of an all around performer.

On a side note why doesn’t the 06 have traction control? I know mine came with it. Just curious.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should clarify – these are the Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, so not summer tire.The date on the tire says they were produced the 27th week of 2007 so they’re not quite three years old. They’ve been sitting in my garage untouched, so not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. Id say they got at least two or three years on them. As far as the traction control on the 06, I could be wrong about that I’ll have to check.

My daughter had a blowout this weekend, so when I went to change the tire instead of using the crappy spare in the trunk, I put one of the Pirelli‘s on. When I was driving it back to her dorm, when accelerating lightly at a green light, the Pirelli lost traction. That is why I am concerned for the most part.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I love Pirelli's. Would absolutely use them on any car.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I should clarify – these are the Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, so not summer tire.The date on the tire says they were produced the 27th week of 2007 so they’re not quite three years old. They’ve been sitting in my garage untouched, so not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. Id say they got at least two or three years on them. As far as the traction control on the 06, I could be wrong about that I’ll have to check.

My daughter had a blowout this weekend, so when I went to change the tire instead of using the crappy spare in the trunk, I put one of the Pirelli‘s on. When I was driving it back to her dorm, when accelerating lightly at a green light, the Pirelli lost traction. That is why I am concerned for the most part.
the 06 were rated for around 130hp less than an s550 my only guess for the loss of traction at a light is something was on them from sitting for so long.
They are a respected brand and I wouldn’t worry about it.
By the sounds of it though you may have already made up your mind. Throw the tires up on the marketplace and buy the new ones.
If it worries you this much just take the piece of mind (even though there is no need to worry) I understand it’s part of being a dad

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I should clarify – these are the Perelli PZero Nero all season tires, so not summer tire.The date on the tire says they were produced the 27th week of 2007 so they’re not quite three years old. ....

I'm certain you meant 2017, not 2007.......right?

Anyways, I've had experience with the Pirelli P-Zero Max Performance Summer tires (OEM tires on Track Pack/Brembo Pack cars up until 2017), and they were indeed shit tires.

The all-seasons I've not heard much complaining about.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Tire Rack says good things about the Pirelli all seasons. There is a good chance the loss of traction was for some other reason.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I had P Zeros on my 2006 GT and got close to 50K on the OEM tires. Replaced these with the same P Zero and these were crap. Replaced two of the replacement tires and these were worse with highway vibration. Pirelli corporate would not help me and the tire dealer gave up and told me to live with these crappy Pirellis. At 2K miles, I threw these tires into the dumpster and put on Michelin PS AS-3 which ran smooth and transformed the car's handling and ride. This Pirelli exercise cost me $1000. Now my 2018 Gt came with these same tires and yes in damp or wet conditions, you really need to watch your acceleration and keep the electronic stability control on at all times. The esc has saved me twice so far.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm certain you meant 2017, not 2007.......right?

Anyways, I've had experience with the Pirelli P-Zero Max Performance Summer tires (OEM tires on Track Pack/Brembo Pack cars up until 2017), and they were indeed shit tires.

The all-seasons I've not heard much complaining about.
Oops - yea 2017

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the 06 were rated for around 130hp less than an s550 my only guess for the loss of traction at a light is something was on them from sitting for so long.
They are a respected brand and I wouldn’t worry about it.
By the sounds of it though you may have already made up your mind. Throw the tires up on the marketplace and buy the new ones.
If it worries you this much just take the piece of mind (even though there is no need to worry) I understand it’s part of being a dad
I’ve had the wheels/ tires on craigslist for two years now nobody wants them.

Haven’t made up my mind, which is why I posted here. Appreciate all the comments so far.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've got the Pirelli all season on my 18 convertible. They have been fine. Drove about 100 miles in 4" of snow this past weekend and they did as well as the Toyo M&S tires on my last truck.
But, if you're not comfortable, put them on Ebay, or wherever, and put the cash towards some that keeps the "dad worries' calm.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They're quite terrible overall but perfectly fine for daily, sensible driving. As long as someone doesn't do something stupid, they'll work just fine. I would totally put them on.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
On car forums (all of them) you can count on 2 things. Majority hate the OEM tires and everyone thinks there cars paint is the worst in the entire world. Funny thing is majority of Mustang owners hate their Pirelli's. Yet another car forum will hate their OEM Goodyears (for an example) and they will also highly recommend Pirelli's as the best tire ever made. Absolutely nothing wrong with the P Zero A/S tires. I would put them on my daughters, Moms, Grandmothers car in a heartbeat.

Don
Sponsored