Sponsored

Would you change you mind if you could reverse your Mustang Purchase?

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Sadly, I'd have to say yes. I still love the car, but much has changed since I took delivery. For me it was between the Mustang and a Miata (which I have a long history with). Since I took delivery Mazda fixed my gripes about the the current gen Miata and came out with an Anniversary edition in Orange which I could have had if I'd held out. Me buying another car seems to guarantee a Miata special edition will soon arrive in a color I want.

On top of that I'm disappointed with the Ford experience. Going to my Mazda dealer for service feels like going to my BMW dealer. Going to my Ford dealer feels like going to a quick lube place. Only the furniture isn't as nice. I really wanted to come back to being a Ford guy. I loved what they were doing under Mulally. Since then they've become something that I'm not really interested in.

Another factor in choosing the Mustang over the Miata was that it's a nicer daily driver. Daily driving isn't a thing for now and probably at least another six months. Top down drives in the country would be nice about right now.
Sponsored

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost Premium HP engine, Velocity Blue
Hello everyone!

I have for some time thought about this topic, and even though I probably know the answer since you guys are still here I thought I'd ask! :wink:

We have a few different topics about what we don't like about the S550 and things we wanted different. At the same time we have a lot of topics about small issues which are driving us nuts about the car.
A car can be a piece of shit... but a loved piece of shit :crackup:

So... if you had the chance to reverse the deal on you S550 and get every penny including mods, insurance, road tax etc. back and keep all the knowledge about owning a S550. Would you still be owning a 6th generation Mustang? :question:

In less than a month I will pick up my first (and probably only) Mustang - a MY2020 PP and I'm looking forward to it like a child for Christman morning, but I gotta admit that I fear I will be disappointed in some way if I get the engine tick, dumb panel gaps or something like it. Though I can't see why I shouldn't love it regardless of it :like:
I bought a loaded 2020 Eco-Boost Premium HPP car off the lot,. The car had the Safe and Smart package I wanted and nav. I liked the blue stitching and the upgraded stereo, but if I had it to do over again, I would have opted for a base GT. Opinions vary but the V8 puts less energy into speed and torque than the twin turbos. I wish I'd either had the dealership search for a GT with nav or an Eco-Boost Premium HPP with MagneRide. Also, my ex-dealership had fed me a line that they couldn't offer a discount on a car they brought in, which is why I didn't bother asking about a search, but it was a different dealership where I bought. These are all lessons learned for my next Mustang. ...The only thing is I"ll be 64 around then. I haven't seen gray haired women of that age driving Stangs. I suppose I can always be the first.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I’ve had my MY17 GT since new over here in the UK and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned and a keeper

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
For one, the 6R80 is a much simpler less complex setup in the 13/14 which makes it simpler and more practical to tune. My 14 drove so much better than the 17 as far as having crisp shifting. I did not have that stupid rev match either which I have no use for. The 3 or four modes of shifting on the 17 GT 6R80 are useless on a tuned FI setup car. The 13/14 imo looks better than ANY S550 in any year. The SRA imo is a better route for drag racing over the IRS. The S550 feels more like some kind of euro-trash touring sedan rather than an american muscle car as well. The 14 went 10.82@131mph on 545RWHP and the 17GT has only gone 11.01@129MPH best on 631 RWHP. Its weighs about 300 pounds more and cannot cut the 60ft the 14 could on the same MY R series setup. From inside the car I feel like I am looking out over the hood of a Ford Maverick with a Grabber hood on it (many in this forum will have to google grabber hood to know what they look like). The hood vents are not as appealing as those on the 13/14 imo. The design to incorporate the cat and the header into one part on the drivers side is BS and forces a person to invest in LT's if they simply wich to delete the cats for off road use...granted the MAC option is there, but requires welding and few are willing to tackle the job because of potential joint leaks if the flange is not welded squarely in place. Further those willing to try I do not trust to do it correctly. I just like the overall shape and look of the 13/14 and what it has to offer better. People expect an S550 to be faster. They are more taken aback when see a 13/14 pulling on them in a play situation.

So what do I like about the S550 after owning one now for two years and more specifically my17? The color for one. It was a one year run white platinum tricoat or whatever its called (color code UG). Forged internals on the Coyote. The auto shifter is nicer than the 13/14 as well. The standard brakes are touchy compared to the standard 13/14 brakes but nice at the end of the track. I do like the rear tail lights as much as the 13/14 but that is about it.

I've had 5 Mustangs now since 2004 though I have been a Mustang lover most of my life. 2004 was the first year I was finally able to purchase my first Mustang GT later in life. Each car - the 2002,2005,2013, and 2014 each felt like a Mustang. The 13/14 was almost too refined to represent what Mustang had meant through the years since it first arrived on the scene in 1964. But I grew to like it very quickly. Not the case even after two years of owning this car 17. Way to foo-foo for my liking. I feel like I should be wearing a polo shirt, jean shorts, and New Balance tennis shoes when I drive it rather than jeans and a hotrod t-shirt.

If I want a Porsche or BMW I can go buy one. I don't want one. And I don't want a Mustang that makes me feel like I am driving some cheap knock off attempted version of some euro-trash touring coupe. So my search continues. I desire a 14 GT500. However I am developing a loss of movement in my left leg for some reason (need to get to a doc on that) and that has me considering another auto though I would love to grab gears again.

Hope that answers your question. You asked, and I held no opinion back. To each his/her own. Not here to debate the issue and will leave this thread with that said.
We are actually talking about a different comparison 14 to 17 car versus 14 to 18 up car. I agree as I was not (am still not) a fan of the 15-17 s550’s. Had zero interest in them until 18 came out.

My 18 traps 5-6 mph faster with just E tuning and ported tb over my Lund a6 tuned 100 octane cobra jet inducted 14 bolt on car. I credit a lot of that too the A10. Good luck, and thanks for your response...

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I would go back to my 14 S197. Sorry I ever sold it at this point. Regretted buying an S550 ever since I brought it home. Look forward to finding another 13/14 model I can get back into.

Same here. I'd go back to me 2010 GT or 2007 GT without hesitation.

The S550 is ok, but I liked the S197 way more.

Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
No, I would not trade mine and I get offers often. Although it is a '15 year model and advances since have been incorporated, I'm still keeping it. This is my 4th Mustang I've owned over the years. You can see 2 of the others I've owned in the other Mustang models pictures section...

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
No I wouldn’t change, the only other cars I was interested in was a cayman or a 911 and I’m opposed to paying that much for a car. Rather do something else with that money. The Mustang to me is a great value and I really enjoy driving it, part time daily.

Reactions: JF

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I traded a 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet for a 2018 GT Premium convertible. I did it because of fear of very high maintenance and repair costs. I should have kept the Porsche.
Well you went from a Porsche to a Ford lol. While I love my Mustang that doesn’t mean it’s made very well. You just have to accept that it’s a Ford so stuff will be half assed and quality control is nonexistent.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
Would not change my mind at all. Loved every one i had. Regret getting rid of my 2006GT but traded for a 2012 Boss 302....
another regret was not buying the Mach 1 when i had a chance but passed because of $50 difference in car payment. if i could afford it i would have 10 mustangs in my driveway now!

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My 2019 Fusion was a lemon and Ford was gracious buying it back. And that put me in a 2020 Stang!
There ya go brother!!!! Awesome.
Everything happens for a reason. :like:

Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
My 2019 yes all day long Ford bought it back
My 2020 hell no I love this car
ch.jpg

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Nope. It is perfect for my use. Time attack and HPDE. I enjoy modifying the car and it has been mostly reliable. The only other car I'd consider is a ZL1 1LE, which I plan on getting in addition to my Mustang

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I really enjoy my 2019 GT! If I could do it all over again today I might go for the GT500.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If I had to do it over I would probably get a Camaro SS 1LE. I only use it as a track car and for that purpose the Camaro is better equipped to handle the abuse with all the coolers they have. Plus that frickin' tiny LS motor set way back and down low does a lot for the handling.

The Mustang is far better looking, has better outside visibility, way better ergonomics and even though the Coyote is physically a larger motor I like it's sophistication vs the LS and the fact that it makes so much power on so few cubes vs the LS.

There's a zero percent chance I'd trade it now, way too far down the rabbit hole to start over on a totally different platform.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have had quite a few problems with mine that required extended dealership stays. That along with this terrible engine ticking I would say yes. I regret the purchase. I wish it was a great car, wanted it to be a great car but it just wasn't.
Sponsored