Sponsored

Would you buy Ecoboost if Ford offered V6 Premium?

Would you buy an Ecoboost (Premium or not) if Ford offered V6 Premium at $27,800 USD?

• Yes

Votes: 51 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 61.1%

• Total voters

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So maybe I stand corrected. The poll is still young, but I didn't expect many "Yes" answers. Wasn't trying to cause resentment or say which model is better.

I'm curious if my theory that the reason Ford doesn't offer Premium options on the V6 is purely because if they did, Ecoboost wouldn't sell. That's all. :)

I'm pretty sure deep down, we all just love Mustangs. Be it V6, Ecoboost, or GT. Growl away!
I think Ford didn't offer a premium V6 because there were originally no plans to even have the V6 this generation. When they found that they couldn't get the base price of the eco low enough they decided to add the 6. Ford is desperate for the eco to sell here in the US because this is the future engine of the mustang line. As such they wanted to do everything possible to make sure it sold and was accepted. So far it seems to be working for them.

My personal belief is that Ford has other plans for a V6 in the mustang. I believe an upgraded 3.5l ecoboost v6 will replace the 5.0 as the GT engine in the coming refreshes. The mach 1 that has been rumored will then become the mustang with the 5.0 V8. That way they can charge a premium for the V8 and have the majority of their sales come from the 2.3 and 3.5. This would all in the name of CAFE and the european market. I have no evidence to support this. It is just a hunch.
Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
v6
Reliable, proven engine
Great tone all the way through
Enough cylinders to take a beating and last for as long as I'll need it

OP
OP

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
I think Ford didn't offer a premium V6 because there were originally no plans to even have the V6 this generation. When they found that they couldn't get the base price of the eco low enough they decided to add the 6. Ford is desperate for the eco to sell here in the US because this is the future engine of the mustang line. As such they wanted to do everything possible to make sure it sold and was accepted. So far it seems to be working for them.

My personal belief is that Ford has other plans for a V6 in the mustang. I believe an upgraded 3.5l ecoboost v6 will replace the 5.0 as the GT engine in the coming refreshes. The mach 1 that has been rumored will then become the mustang with the 5.0 V8. That way they can charge a premium for the V8 and have the majority of their sales come from the 2.3 and 3.5. This would all in the name of CAFE and the european market. I have no evidence to support this. It is just a hunch.
A turbo charged V6 would be very interesting indeed. Though I think if Ford gets rid of the GT, a lot of loyal customers would be very very unhappy. But I wouldn't be surprised if the V6 gets dropped in the next few iterations entirely either, leaving us with just the Ecoboost and the GT.

Either way, stuff like this is why I didn't finance my V6 right now. I'll enjoy the V6, and if something better comes along over the next 4 years, I might make the switch. Otherwise, I'll buy it back. Or I might just upgrade to a GT.

I think the V6 is the perfect gate into the Mustang world for a newbie like myself.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
Do a google search on ecoboost problems and then click on this: [ame]

I had a V6 premium 5 spd and it was a great car. Don't bring the V8 into this...for some it's not affordable or the answer. The ecoboost is a great concept but I don't think it's there yet. Ford is doing a good job keeping the problems under wraps.

I was really tempted by the ecoboost motor...my Dad has had two that he loved...a Taurus SHO and now a Lincoln MKS. I've driven both and they're great, but Dad always trades prior to warranty expiration.

If there was a V6 premium with Performance Pack...I'd be seriously tempted.....

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
That same tired video is constantly circulated...this isn't some experimental new technology....This site is full of some paranoid car enthusiasts.
This poll will mean nothing as this site is full of Eco hate. Just about Everybody with a v8 or 6 is going to vote against the 4.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
A turbo charged V6 would be very interesting indeed. Though I think if Ford gets rid of the GT, a lot of loyal customers would be very very unhappy. But I wouldn't be surprised if the V6 gets dropped in the next few iterations entirely either, leaving us with just the Ecoboost and the GT.
The GT will of course stick around. I'm saying I don't believe the GT will always have a V8. I'm betting the Mach 1 will be another tier of the mustang just like the V6, Ecoboost, GT of today. Basically it would go like this...

Ecoboost: 2.3l 330-350hp $24,000 starting price
GT: 3.0-3.5l Ecoboost V6 430-450hp $32000 starting price
Mach 1: 5.0l 475-500hp $38-$40000 starting price

With this Ford still has a high volume V8 model but it would be priced such that only car enthusiasts and people who have to have a V8 would buy it. Pushing the more "fuel efficient" 4 and 6 to the majority of its customers.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
That same tired video is constantly circulated...this isn't some experimental new technology....This site is full of some paranoid car enthusiasts.
Agreed. "The information has been coming down the pike" for almost a year now. :doh:

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
I'm really curious about this.

Based on my research, the price of the premium package is about $4,000 USD.

Ecoboost @ $25,300 USD
Ecoboost Premium @ $29,300 USD
GT @ $32,300 USD
GT Premium @ $36,300 USD

The base and premium versions for all these models are almost identical in terms of "bells and whistles".

The V6 base price is $23,800 USD.

So the hypothetical V6 Premium price would be $27,800 USD.

The question is, if the V6 Premium was offered, how many of you would buy the Ecoboost (Premium or not)? If so, why?
Zeenobit, your pricing model here is flawed.

The Ecoboost has more standard features than the V6:

-- power seats, driver and passenger
-- aluminum dash panel
-- fog lights
-- flat-blade spoiler
-- 3.31 axle ratio on manual cars

One can debate the value of these options, but the V6 doesn't have them as standard equipment. If you add the $995 051A package to the V6 ( which contains power drivers seat, fog lights, spoiler ) you get closer, but are still missing the power passenger seat and aluminum dash.

So, I submit that the hypothetical V6 premium price would be $29,300, same as the Ecoboost.

Now..... I know that $1,500 isn't that much of a difference, but we should compare apples to apples here.

OP
OP

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zeenobit, your pricing model here is flawed.

The Ecoboost has more standard features than the V6:

-- power seats, driver and passenger
-- aluminum dash panel
-- fog lights
-- flat-blade spoiler
-- 3.31 axle ratio on manual cars

One can debate the value of these options, but the V6 doesn't have them as standard equipment. If you add the $995 051A package to the V6 ( which contains power drivers seat, fog lights, spoiler ) you get closer, but are still missing the power passenger seat and aluminum dash.

So, I submit that the hypothetical V6 premium price would be $29,300, same as the Ecoboost.

Now..... I know that $1,500 isn't that much of a difference, but we should compare apples to apples here.
That's a good catch. Fair point.

Interesting note though:

Fog lights are standard on Canadian base V6, apparently. Not LED though.

I just compared the US and Canadian websites for the 051A package:

US:
- Body-colored blade decklid spoiler
- 18” Foundry low-gloss paint machined-aluminum wheels
- LED fog lamps
- Six-way power driver seat with power lumbar

Canada:
- Body-colored blade decklid spoiler
- 18” Foundry Black painted/machined aluminum wheels
- Six-way power driver seat with power lumbar

The Canadian version has halogen fog lamps standard. Might be a rules/regulation issue.

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Yup they have to in Canada. Those halogen fogs are also the day time running lights for Canada. DRLs are mandated for all cars in the great white north.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup they have to in Canada. Those halogen fogs are also the day time running lights for Canada. DRLs are mandated for all cars in the great white north.
I didn't know the fogs were used for DRL. Nice to know.

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I didn't know the fogs were used for DRL. Nice to know.
It might only be for Canada. I have no idea but I dont think US spec cars use the led fogs for DRLs. Id have to go look at mine. But Im crazy I drive with my headlights on all the time. Force of habit from owning a 05 Mustang. You always wanted to keep em on including fogs to intimidate the snot out of other cars :-) Those four massive headlights in a row heh

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
V6 FTW

Although the EB felt a little quicker, I really dislike the sound of a 4 banger, turbo or otherwise. The reliability and lower cost of the V6 were just icing on the cake.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Despite the higher potential of the EB, if a PP V6 were offered, it would be my choice easily.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
I'm really curious about this.

Based on my research, the price of the premium package is about $4,000 USD.

Ecoboost @ $25,300 USD
Ecoboost Premium @ $29,300 USD
GT @ $32,300 USD
GT Premium @ $36,300 USD

The base and premium versions for all these models are almost identical in terms of "bells and whistles".

The V6 base price is $23,800 USD.

So the hypothetical V6 Premium price would be $27,800 USD.

The question is, if the V6 Premium was offered, how many of you would buy the Ecoboost (Premium or not)? If so, why?
If you were truly curious you would of posed your question to only those that have chosen an ecoboost. This poll is pointless...
Sponsored