Sponsored

Would you buy a previous rental?

LuckyLuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Conv, 20", 401A, Act. Exh.
Hi all,

I am in the market for a 2018+ Convertible GT (still cannot decide whether manual or Aut)...

Here where I am (Tampa, FL), it is almost impossible to find a decent version that has not been a part of a fleet/rental agency.

Would you be worried to buy one that has been a previous rental. Some of them are CPO with 7 years/100k warranty (I dont know how much that is worth?).
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t want a manual rental unless comes with brand new clutch

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
7 yr / 100,000 mi warranty , what kind of coverage on what parts. better yet what doesn't it cover.
If the car has what you want, the price is a really good $ deal, overall visual condition is excellent, no prior accidents, the warranty coverage is better then just adequate , Drive it, and then make your decision. I under these caveats would buy it, and I do believe any former rental will be Auto only. There should also be records on maintenance and repairs available for you to see, if not I wouldn't .

OP
OP

LuckyLuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats also what I am afraid of...

The car I am looking at has 23k miles and if the average renter uses is for say 200 miles, that means it has been driven by more than 100 users... And I assume all of them wanted to see what it can do... I dont know if that's a general Florida issue; that there are so few non-rentals for sale out there...

Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I would not buy a rental car. Look outside the state.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
eb vert.jpg

I rented a silver EB vert on the Big Island in Feb 2019. (Every rental in Hawaii seems to be either a EB vert or a four door Wrangler). I was gentle with it. Was fun to drive and never gave me a hint of trouble. Those two weeks are what convinced me to buy my HPP.

But no, I would not buy a rental Mustang. I ordered mine, had two miles on it.

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
My previous Mustang was bought from rental. It was fine. We never tracked it or took it to its limits, but it was a great daily driver. And once we took it for scheduled maintenance and they corrected couple things (nothing major), it became even better.

One thing I can warn you, though. Whatever they tell you, don't opt in for extended warranty. I felt into it myself. And now it's been months since I'm trying to cancel those contracts. Those assholes are simply not returning my calls. (I still want to recover some money because the car is totaled, and hence we don't need service contracts anymore.)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you are talking about Ford quality, I get it but generally these cars are pretty well taken care of. Oil changed on schedule and tire rotated. You might get the crazy rental from time to time but overall most people paying convertible GT rental money are going to be middle class and somewhat responsible. I worry more about wrecks not on car fax but a paint thickness gauge will tell you quickly if there is body problems. Also an oasis report should show other problems.

I have rented many cars and I would recommend a rental. It get the whole whore mentality though but hoes gotta eat too.
Cheapest oil, cheapest tires, most loose standards of following the maintenance schedule. You can imagine a world where people are "responsible" with rental cars, but in the real world it just doesn't happen. For every responsible person there are 10 who treat the gas and brake pedals like an on off switch, and are hitting redline 8 seconds after startup.

Sponsored

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
Rental agencies don’t buy manuals as fleet vehicles.

I worked for a rental agency all through college. As someone else stated, the maintenance up keep on the fleet cars is impeccable. After all, the cars are the main investment of the company.

Personal opinion, if it’s a gt vert your in good shape because they don’t just give those out to anyone.

Lastly, if it was beat on, who cares? These cars were made to be used. To many “keep it tight for the next guy” dudes in the mustang world.

Buy it and enjoy it.

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
Cheapest oil, cheapest tires, most loose standards of following the maintenance schedule. You can imagine a world where people are "responsible" with rental cars, but in the real world it just doesn't happen. For every responsible person there are 10 who treat the gas and brake pedals like an on off switch, and are hitting redline 8 seconds after startup.
Which rental agency did you work for? We had a monthly score of how well we did on scheduled maintenance which was a major metric harped by management. Firestone did all of our maintenance.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I would disagree with almost all the comments on this subject. The major rental companies have scheduled maintenance that they strictly adhere to. You know with a previous rental that is has been well maintained. The last thing a rental company wants is a car breaking down on a customer....cost a lot to make that right. I have , and make a habit of, buying past rentals as my daily's and have put thousands and thousands of miles on them with no more issues than I have had purchasing new vehicles. It is a used car so you treat it as such.

OP
OP

LuckyLuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would disagree with almost all the comments on this subject. The major rental companies have scheduled maintenance that they strictly adhere to. You know with a previous rental that is has been well maintained. The last thing a rental company wants is a car breaking down on a customer....cost a lot to make that right. I have , and make a habit of, buying past rentals as my daily's and have put thousands and thousands of miles on them with no more issues than I have had purchasing new vehicles. It is a used car so you treat it as such.
Yes for a Toyota Camry or a Honda, I would not mind buying a previous rental, but a Mustang GT, these are rented not for going A to B, but IMO to be raced or at least not used nicely...
Sponsored