Advertisement

Would You Buy A Ford Performance 2019 Bullitt Calibration?

Discussion in '2019-2020 Bullitt Mustang' started by Shipey, Jun 16, 2020.

?

I would purchase a Ford Performance calibration for my 2019 Bullitt

1. Yes

88.2%
  2. No

11.8%
  1. Shipey

Shipey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 DHG Bullitt.
    0   0   0
    #1 Shipey, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    As an enthusiast, and big fan of horsepower and torque, I'd like to see Ford Performance market a tune for the 2019 Bullitt. Please know that I have absolutely no affiliation with Ford Motor Company or any of it's employees.

I realize that there are such programs already available in the after-market, but I'm only interested in one from Ford. I'm speculating that FMC personnel visit this site, and your input may help the cause.

I would buy such a tuner because:

* Genuine Ford Performance Product
    * 50 State Emission Legal
    * Does Not Void Factory Warranty
    * Horsepower and Torque close to Steeda Tune
    * Comparable Price With Current Ford Performance Tuners (2018-19 Ecoboost Calibration is $635 list)

What do you guys and gals think?

Shipey

2. Chente04

Chente04 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Bullitt
    0   0   0
    If I hadnt just bought a Steeda Tune I would say yes to keep the warranty, but going off the press release today HP and TQ are equal in the Bullitt and Mach 1

3. OP
    OP
    Shipey

Shipey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 DHG Bullitt.
    0   0   0
    Thanks for that info. I just read the release and it seems that the Mach I will have the same engine as the Bullitt, so I changed the survey so the tune would be similar in hp and tq to the Steeda tune.

4. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
    0   0   0
    Once an engine is certified, auto manufacturer cannot alter it in any way (which is what a tune would do), so Ford just can't do that, even if they wanted to. And even if they could do it, they wouldn't want to IMO, since adding more power (which requires more gas; no free lunch) would reduce their EPA rating even more. As most of you know, the Bullitt was downgraded by the EPA for 2020 from 15/24 to 14/23, probably because of the extra 20HP, since the previous rating is what the regular manual GT has. And that probably cost Ford an arm and a leg due to the reduction of CAFE. And owners have to pay an extra grand in gas guzzler tax too.

Second reason they'd never do that even if the EPA wasn't in the picture is they'd encroach on other models. Assuming they could get 500-520HP out of the Bullitt; that's basically where the much more expensive current GT350 is now, and where the future Mach1 will probably be. It makes ZERO sense for Ford to do that; it'd never get even 1 vote at the board IMO.

Bottom line is we'll probably never see any OEM getting involved with tunes IMO. But yes, it'd be nice, since most people wouldn't even consider getting a tune while under powertrain warranty, including myself.

Whitemagic1 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Shipey

Shipey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 DHG Bullitt.
    0   0   0
    Ford Performance is a 100% owned Ford facility that develops and markets many performance tune upgrades for certain Ford vehicles, including 50 state emission legal tuning for some products. The 526 horsepower rated GT350 is in its final year of production, so a tune for the Bullitt somewhere near 500 hp certainly does not encroach on a 760hp Shelby GT500. With the 480 horsepower engine code "0" Gen 3 Coyote possibly appearing in the new Mach I, there may be a market for a Ford Performance Engine Powerpack for the 2019, 2020, 2021 "0" code Coyote.

I hope so!

6. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
    0   0   0
    And THAT is precisely the problem. Ha ha. After Ford corporate (and all other auto manufacturers) certify their engines, they just can't sell a tune thru their subsidiaries without re-certifying it, as far as I know. I could be wrong, but have you ever seen AMG, BMW M, FP, or any other such OEM performance affiliate sell tunes? That's why :D.

7. Louk

Louk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2017 Raptor
    0   0   0
    Ford performance already sells tunes. In there power packs or stand alone. None for the Bullitt currently but other vehicles yes.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...19-ford-ranger-2018-ford-mustang-engine-tune/

8. Chente04

Chente04 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Bullitt
    0   0   0
    Yeah man your wrong on this one. Ford has been selling performance packs with Pro Cal tunes and intakes as far as i remember back in the 4.6 3V days. GM used to sell Stage kits for the Colbat SS, and Dodge the same with the SRT-4.

Im not up to date on AMG and Ms but that crowd doesnt exactly seem like DIYers to me, so wouldn't surprise me if it was all 3rd party.

Usmc341 likes this.
  9. david buick

david buick Active Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    72 Buick GS, volvo 64 122s, 2013 Boss 302 laguna seca, 2019 Fiat Spiaggina 58, 2019 Bullitt (not yet)
    0   0   0
    Euro Bullitt Tunes ???