Sponsored

Would you be interested if Ford offered an option to watch your car be built?

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
I have always loved watching videos of vehicles being built at the plant. I've always wished car manufacturers would offer an option to either go in person and watch your car be built or provide you with a DVD of your car being built. Would other people want this option? If yes, what would you be willing to pay?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Chevy used to do that with the ZR1 vette, don't know if they still do. They even offered an option to help assemble the LS7 engine that was slated for your car.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Would be super cool. Unless something outrageously expensive I would have been very interested in something like that. Chevy has been doing cool things like that in addition to museum delivery etc for a long time.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
would have loved it

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It would never happen. Thank the union

Sponsored

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Yes, and I wish they would let you do an in person delivery like you can do with Mercedes, bwm, etc.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm curious, Tom, would you be happy if your union went away?
Hell no. I've worked for union companies and non union. For what we do for a living, you have to have a union.

The reason I said what I said is because the UAW had stankmodes video of his car being built taken down from youtube. The reason was that the auto workers did not want any video footage of them working while assembling cars. If it weren't for unions, kent, there would have been video cameras in the cockpits of airliners a long time ago.

So, when I said before that this crazy notion would never happen, I meant it. You may be able to negotiate some kind of dog and pony show, but it would have to be under some very strictly agreed upon terms with definite boundaries.

The thought of this really is just daydreaming. Ford has better thing to do, like trying to improve the quality of their product....... and you can thank the unions for that too, but thats a whole other subject.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I beleive GM offers museum delivery, plant tour and photo album of your corvette build. Includes a door jamb label too.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Tomster is spot on. I've been in a union job for over 20 years and I worked at non-union sweat shops also. Getting the union on board would be the biggest stumbling block in allowing customers to watch their GT500 being built. If ford cared enough, they could make it happen. Chevy did it and it's the same union. But alas, ford don't care about the customers anymore.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The reason was that the auto workers did not want any video footage of them working while assembling cars. If it weren't for unions, kent, there would have been video cameras in the cockpits of airliners a long time ago.
Sadly, you're not telling me anything I don't already know, Tom, I was just curious since you are a union member and yet have a negative opinion of them. Necessary evils, perhaps.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Sadly, you're not telling me anything I don't already know, Tom, I was just curious since you are a union member and yet have a negative opinion of them. Necessary evils, perhaps.
Most union members have no say whether they join the union or not. I've been in one and had no choice in the matter if I wanted the job.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
not so much negative.... They do a service, especially for what we do for a living. Now, when I was younger, I was a journeyman electrician in the IBEW. I don't look badly on those days. They cultivated professionalism and formally educated each aspiring electrician with a proper working knowledge to cultivate a superior craftsman.

What I don't care to see is when unions protect jobs that shouldn't be protected. I see crap work come out of flat rock and the only reason that is allowed to happen is the UAW protecting jobs and poor work practices .

So no, I don't have a bad opinion of unions, just the ones that let this nonsense go on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
They probably wouldn't want the cams there anyway because then we'd see why there's so many damn QC issues with the S550 paint, body gaps and in some instances mismatched interior parts installed.... LMAO
Sponsored