Sponsored

Would anyone here buy an M3 over a GT (much less Boss or Shelby)?

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
The comparisons of the M3 to the Mustang have happened over the years on many occasions.

My first recollection of a comparison was around 2001 or '02 when they compared the Cobra model to that years M3. I believe it was C&D (but with a caveat that it may have been in MT, I am old fart with failing memory after all).

Each time I've read a comparison the Mustang has always faired well, if not outright coming out on top in terms of performance on most tests.

Now, of course overall the BMW has been the more refined and in general held the edge in luxury appointments and quality of materials. But the cost of that edge has meant that you paid an average of 15-30 percent more for an M3 (not the case with the new Shelby to the M3 obviously).

Having driven a boatload of various vintage Mustangs and a handful of M3's over the years; I will answer my own question this way.

If I had to make only the one choice, the answer is simple. The Mustang wins every time, for a myriad of reasons.

1. If I want a luxury car, I wouldn't buy a 3 Series to begin with.
2. I have never been in a well appointed (read, not base model) Mustang that I thought was comparatively uncomfortable.
3. I would not want to spend more to go slower.
4. A well optioned GT (Boss/Shelby) will hold its value as well as any BMW, in my opinion.

I could go on, but what say you all? Are there any M3 takers out there?

And don't get me wrong the M3 is outstanding, I would blame no one for buying one (even over a 'Stang).
Sponsored

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
HELL NO! And people who try and argue for the M3 are nothing more than brand-snobs. The interior is higher-quality but also kinda boring like most BMWs these days. It's real value would be on the used market, but my past experiences with Bimmer's lack of reliability would scare me from getting a used one. Plus it has like 290 ft/lbs...Mustang v6 almost matches that.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Nope. BMW is not worth the money and they don't last long at all.

Plus I would like two Mustang GTs instead of one M3.

All-Or-Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 6 Series Vert
Sure I would buy an M3 over a Mustang. It all really depends on what I was shopping for at the time. I'm not saying I like M3's better but given a certain set of parameters I could easily give the M3 the nod.

Hell......I daily drive a 6 series and have 3 Mustangs also.

groundnpounder

I might consider it if the M3 was preowned already. New BMWs are ridiculously priced. Nickel and dime you on every little option. Current one with its V8 is gonna be dinosaur soon but it'll go down as one of the better M3s ever probably once they switch over to a turbo 6 cyl. for the next M3.

Sponsored

Rev

Threads
Reaction score
Any M3 prior to the E92, yes. The only way I would take a M3 over the current Mustang is if it was the CSL. The Mustang is a great performance bargain, without a doubt. I would be extremely happy with a Boss 302 LS if given the choice. I wouldn't really shop a Mustang against the M3.

73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
If there were no compelling reason to buy the M3 rather than a Mustang or Camaro then BMW wouldn't sell as many as they do. Of course, the Mustang has it's own unique appeal as well, and I think there is room for interpretation here depending upon era and the specific car. For example, I personally would take an 03 or 04 M3 over a same year Terminator because, for me, the rather large difference in power the Cobra offers in that year isn't enough to offset the advantages the BMW brings to the table. In contrast, I would not take the recently departed E92 M3 over the newest GT500 because, IMO, the BMW isn't as compelling as it used to be while the newest GT500 is much more compelling than the Terminator was. The next guy who posts is just as likely to think exactly the opposite of what I posted above and, in the end, that will just serve to prove what we all knew already. It's all about what slips your switch, and what flips yours may not be what flips the next guys.

groundnpounder

Any M3 prior to the E92, yes. The only way I would take a M3 over the current Mustang is if it was the CSL. The Mustang is a great performance bargain, without a doubt. I would be extremely happy with a Boss 302 LS if given the choice. I wouldn't really shop a Mustang against the M3.
To hear the Boss 302 being compared against the M3 in terms of handling and performance is really a testament to how good it is. What I don't get is why just a 2 year production run?! :confused:

Krishna

Nope. BMW is not worth the money and they don't last long at all.

Plus I would like two Mustang GTs instead of one M3.
Bahh "luxury" at the cost of performance IMO. You want real muscle, buy American.

ArtRios87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Brembo Pack
I do like the M3 and I am sure if I could afford one I will buy one, but I am in a different range. The Mustang GT is what I can afford and there is nothing in that price range I will buy instead. The camaro is too heavy, and so is the challenger, the scion is too slow and the stis and evos are just not for me. In short I am a mustang guy at heart, it offers all that I need in a car. Great looks, v8 engine, performance oriented, fast, it has history and I can keep on.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I've never had the pleasure of driving an M4, but I do own an e46 330i as my daily driver. I can certainly see the appeal of BMW.........nicely built, drive superbly........but it doesn't tug at my heartstrings like my Mustang.

That being said, the BMW is more comfortable, has better steering is feels more "chuckable". But it doesn't make me grin like the Mustang.

For what it's worth, here's a good 'chop of the next M3. I really hope the S550 GT can give it a run for its money :)

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
E46 M Tech Sedan! One of my favorite BMWs of all time (seriously).

BMWs used to have the best steering by far but from what I hear their newest models have lost their steering luster because they've ditched hydraulic steering for electric steering. Even the new 3 series and M5/M6 lack in steering compared to their predecessors. I really wish manufacturers weren't all ditching hydraulic for electric steering just to save costs. But it looks like that's the future and no way back now.

The new M3/M4 should be plenty good as always but the latest Boss already gave the M3 a run for its money so I have high hopes for the s550 equivalent. :thumbsup:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The e46 is also the perfect size. It seats 4 in comfort (ok, the rear is only used by my 8 and 4 year olds) it has a big trunk and yet has a footprint smaller than the Mustang! It has a superb driving position (oh, and the sports seats are some of the best I've ever sat it, and make the Mustang's seats feel like they give as much grip as a park bench!)

:)

crazyfastfreddy

I do like the M3 and I am sure if I could afford one I will buy one, but I am in a different range. The Mustang GT is what I can afford and there is nothing in that price range I will buy instead. The camaro is too heavy, and so is the challenger, the scion is too slow and the stis and evos are just not for me. In short I am a mustang guy at heart, it offers all that I need in a car. Great looks, v8 engine, performance oriented, fast, it has history and I can keep on.
I'm with you man. For the price, the Mustang is hands down the best buy. I wish I couldve saved up enough for the Boss 302 which was my idea car but I'm more than happy with my GT.

I would buy an M3 for the performance and better materials inside, but just seeing Twin Turbos BMW and Mustang side by side (I know its not a M3), I'd still take the Mustang looks over it any day and that's at a big discount.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I was shopping for a '12 M3 or '12 C63 AMG last spring but the prices are way too high with the extra cost goodies (75K++) for one, but sweet, ride... so instead I got a '12 SS and a '12 BOSS... which equates to nearly one of those Euro beasts. Can't complain much. :thumbsup:
Sponsored