WOT Hit then Puff of White Smoke and Low Oil Pressure Light

Sponsored

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Was there any oil in the exhaust or under the car?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can anyone confirm that a low oil light has ever been seen?
There's no 'low oil light' on these cars. Owner is supposed to check oil level periodically. All you get is a low oil PRESSURE light, but it might be too late by then.

OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
There's no 'low oil light' on these cars. Owner is supposed to check oil level periodically. All you get is a low oil PRESSURE light, but it might be too late by then.
That's fair but riddle me this. Car has 38000 miles with a oil change done 8 weeks ago at 33000. How is there no oil on the dipstick?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's fair but riddle me this. Car has 38000 miles with a oil change done 8 weeks ago at 33000. How is there no oil on the dipstick?
A lot of coyotes have oil consumption. Its not exactly uncommon. If its not showing on the dipstick at all, you're down at least 2 quarts. 2 quarts in 5000 miles is a lot, but once again not unheard of especially with lots of high revs. Did you notice any consumption earlier in the ownership or just never check?

Sponsored
OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
A lot of coyotes have oil consumption. Its not exactly uncommon. If its not showing on the dipstick at all, you're down at least 2 quarts. 2 quarts in 5000 miles is a lot, but once again not unheard of especially with lots of high revs. Did you notice any consumption earlier in the ownership or just never check?
I know I should but I've never checked. I daily the car and make sure to have to oil changed at the proper intervals by the dealer I bought it from to maintain their "Lifetime Powertrain".

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I know I should but I've never checked. I daily the car and make sure to have to oil changed at the proper intervals by the dealer I bought it from to maintain their "Lifetime Powertrain".
The older cars took 8 quarts. Maybe the dealer goofed and after that many miles of running low it gave up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My 2015 has a low oil level sensor and warning. Maybe the 2018+ doesn't ... ? Check your owner's manual to be sure.

Located on the side of the oil pan on the driver's side on Gen2 Coyote at least. Take a look under your car to verify if you see this.

2015 Mustang Coyote Oil Level Sensor Location.JPG

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The tell tale sign is metal shavings in the oil. Sorry to say but your engine is toast..heads are probably not damaged so you can most likely get away with a short block..start your planning..

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If its not showing on the dipstick at all, you're down at least 2 quarts.
If there's no oil at all on the dipstick, there's A LOT more than 2 quarts down, brother. From dot to dot should be even more than 2 quarts, and the dipstick goes a lot deeper than the lower dot, at least on my car.

My 2015 has a low oil level sensor and warning.
I wasn't aware there was a version of the Coyote with an oil level warning; learned something new today (thank you :) ). However, I'm almost certain Gen3s don't have it, since many engines were blown due to lack of oil on 2018 F-150s and Mustangs, and it wouldn't have happened with the warning system you posted. But will know for sure when I change the oil later this week, or the next. Maybe somebody can confirm that before then :D.
Sponsored