Sponsored

WOT Hit then Puff of White Smoke and Low Oil Pressure Light

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was out for breakfast in my 18 GT non PP 10-spd when I do a WOT Pull I get to 80 mph and the car stops pulling and the engine shuts off. I shift the car into neutral and cruise off to the side of the road. I look in the mirror to see a big cloud of white smoke in the middle of the road and a Low Oil Pressure light comes on.
I get to check the dipstick and the oil isn't even up on the dipstick and there are very tiny metal shavings. NICE! I did NOT attempt to start the car again and there appeared to be no leaks or parts laying on the road. Engine bay was clean and there was no mores smoke or odd smells. The car is currently waiting in the dealership parking lot to get checked out this week.

Does anyone have any advice or possible diagnosis? Did it blow up on me?

CODES:
P0345
P0349
P0390
P0394
P0524
P05A1
P06E9

Lund Tuned 93
18 GT AUTO w/ 38,6XX Miles
Cat Deleted
Steeda H-pipe
Ford Active Mufflers
Stock Everything else
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, seeing you are Lund Tuned, did you extract any of the data logs?

Did the car have the proper oil level before (as of last oil change)?

Also to note, being that the car is tuned, Ford may not cover a catastrophic failure under the 5/60 Powertrain...if the Service Center finds out it’s tuned.

OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Well, seeing you are Lund Tuned, did you extract any of the data logs?

Did the car have the proper oil level before (as of last oil change)?

Also to note, being that the car is tuned, Ford may not cover a catastrophic failure under the 5/60 Powertrain...if the Service Center finds out it’s tuned.
Dealership says that put 10 qts in at last oil change. I never had any lights come on indicating otherwise. I wasn’t data logging while this occurred. Is the any chance that the nGauge saves logs automatically?

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Kaboom! Yes. Ouch, that is not good. I would get the stock tune and cats back in it before taking/towing it to dealership. What kind of fuel had you been running in it?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Kaboom! Yes. Ouch, that is not good. I would get the stock tune and cats back in it before taking/towing it to dealership. What kind of fuel had you been running in it?
AKA try to commit fraud?

Wouldn't matter anyway. The dealer would see that there's only a few key cycle on the ECU. That's a telltale sign of a tune.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
AKA try to commit fraud?

Wouldn't matter anyway. The dealer would see that there's only a few key cycle on the ECU. That's a telltale sign of a tune.
Yeah I do not know if the motor actually has to start in order to complete a key cycle? If not, he could try to do 30-40 with a battery tender hooked up. He’s more than likely screwed, but I thought I would at least recommend the obvious. lol.

OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was on 93. The Ford tech at the dealership is a fellow drag racing buddy and came to check it out before I had it towed to the dealer and he said Ford has never asked him if a car was tuned and that it likely wouldn’t matter. I’m pretty sure the burden is on the dealership to prove that what I did caused the issue.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I was on 93. The Ford tech at the dealership is a fellow drag racing buddy and came to check it out before I had it towed to the dealer and he said Ford has never asked him if a car was tuned and that it likely wouldn’t matter. I’m pretty sure the burden is on the dealership to prove that what I did caused the issue.
I had cam phasers replaced under warranty and my service advisor was aware of my prior E85 tuning. Best of luck Dude!

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I have never seen this question answered. I would guess it has to go from open loop to closed loop to complete one cycle but that’s just pure speculation.
You're also going to need to drive it to get all the monitors to a ready state.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I was out for breakfast in my 18 GT non PP 10-spd when I do a WOT Pull I get to 80 mph and the car stops pulling and the engine shuts off. I shift the car into neutral and cruise off to the side of the road. I look in the mirror to see a big cloud of white smoke in the middle of the road and a Low Oil Pressure light comes on.
Did you hear any odd mechanical noises from the engine when this all happened? I take it you never tried to restart the car and just had it towed in from where it died? If the engine shut off with the ignition still on, then I believe the low oil pressure warning will come on. But if you tried to start it back up and the low oil pressure warning still appeared than that's not a good sign. Wondering if maybe a valve spring or two might have broke (?).

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m pretty sure the burden is on the dealership to prove that what I did caused the issue.
Nope. Actually, tampering with the ECU is a federal offense (due to emissions), although rarely prosecuted. Ford would just deny warranty coverage, and good luck winning a lawsuit in such a case with a jury, and Ford lawyers. Finally, any tune violates an electronic seal, so Ford can tell immediately. If you try to cheat, it'd only make matters worse IMO. Better off to plea for goodwill warranty. But if it was due to no oil, which is absolute negligence from the owner, really doubt it'd be granted. These cars are not electric people, and worse, they're known to drink oil, so have to check it often. Good luck OP.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just treat it as don't ask don't tell, I'm of the belief that doing a tune on a NA motor isn't THAT big of a deal like it is on a turbo engine. You simply don't get the extra gains like on a turbo motor and aren't stressing everything out to crazy levels, unless of course the tune is some no name tune that ignores the knock sensors or something. OP's motor definitely blew up, will be interesting to see what happened. Given all the camshaft codes it sounds like a timing chain snapped or something similar and one or more pistons got smashed up.

OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Did you hear any odd mechanical noises from the engine when this all happened? I take it you never tried to restart the car and just had it towed in from where it died? If the engine shut off with the ignition still on, then I believe the low oil pressure warning will come on. But if you tried to start it back up and the low oil pressure warning still appeared than that's not a good sign. Wondering if maybe a valve spring or two might have broke (?).
No weird noises which is what stumps me.

I didn’t even try to restart.

OP
OP

YeahJonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just treat it as don't ask don't tell, I'm of the belief that doing a tune on a NA motor isn't THAT big of a deal like it is on a turbo engine. You simply don't get the extra gains like on a turbo motor and aren't stressing everything out to crazy levels, unless of course the tune is some no name tune that ignores the knock sensors or something. OP's motor definitely blew up, will be interesting to see what happened. Given all the camshaft codes it sounds like a timing chain snapped or something similar and one or more pistons got smashed up.
That’s what bothers me. Lund is a very reputable company and the only thing not stock about my car is the Cat Delete. :(

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
11F7BA4E-EB69-4E9E-8C6A-7E4418F18652.png
I might be wrong, (usually am), but maybe your last code say that an attempt was made to restart it?
Sponsored