Sponsored

Worth Upgrading to a GT350 over Camaro SS?

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you can get the Camaro for 25k I would go with that. Then you’re at least 20k cheaper than a gt350. You can still make so many upgrades to that and pocket the cash. The gt350 is a special car for sure but you already have a really great car too.
That's the tough thing. The GT350 really is a great car, but test driving it almost made me appreciate the Camaro SS even more in terms of how good of a value it is for being $15-20k less than a GT350 when new. In terms of street driving at least, they seem very comparable, but with their own unique characteristics. I think where the GT350 really stands out is that it just feels exotic with that sound.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think where the GT350 really stands out is that it just feels exotic with that sound.
go to Carmax and test drive one. Since it's Covid-mania they'll let you drive it by yourself - no ridealong. Bring a quality microphone and record the sound-track. Play the MP3 back in your Camaro. Costs 30 minutes and 2 dollars. Way cheaper than a different car. And also call up Torrie@Unleashed Tuning and get a tune for the Camaro. Pulls noticeably cleaner all the way to redline whereas the factory would get a bit wheezy.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
That's a tough decision. The SS and GT350 are pretty much even on performance. As much as I love the GT350, I don't know if I could make the decision to pay $20-30k going sideways performance wise. The GT350 does feel special, and you can't really beat the exhaust note though. Revving out the engine to the 8250RPM redline still gets my heart racing even after all these years.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
That's a tough decision. The SS and GT350 are pretty much even on performance. As much as I love the GT350, I don't know if I could make the decision to pay $20-30k going sideways performance wise. The GT350 does feel special, and you can't really beat the exhaust note though. Revving out the engine to the 8250RPM redline still gets my heart racing even after all these years.
I have not seen a reputable comparison review with instrumented testing between an Camaro SS1LE and a GT350. Not one. I have always found that odd.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have not seen a reputable comparison review with instrumented testing between an Camaro SS1LE and a GT350. Not one. I have always found that odd.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has a legal stipulation with the usual suspects to prohibit back to back same day comparisons. There's quite a few PP2 vs SS/1LE and this "comparo" (https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gt350-350r-vs-camaro-ss-1le-at-ncm-with-andy-pilgrim.15584/) suggests the SS/1LE is every bit the match against the GT350.

Personally I would take the Camaro every day because it really is the superior chassis and a fraction of the price. Ford got incredibly greedy with the Shelby pricing but hey, if it was priced correctly the Shelby cahort wouldn't buy it. And what else is easier, more fun, and profitable than separating Shelby buyers from their money. It's like taking candy from a baby. :)
Ford even thought to ship it with built-in elevated infant-mortality rates on the powerplant.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has a legal stipulation with the usual suspects to prohibit back to back same day comparisons. There's quite a few PP2 vs SS/1LE and this "comparo" (https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gt350-350r-vs-camaro-ss-1le-at-ncm-with-andy-pilgrim.15584/) suggests the SS/1LE is every bit the match against the GT350.

Personally I would take the Camaro every day because it really is the superior chassis and a fraction of the price. Ford got incredibly greedy with the Shelby pricing but hey, if it was priced correctly the Shelby cahort wouldn't buy it. And what else is easier, more fun, and profitable than separating Shelby buyers from their money. It's like taking candy from a baby. :)
Ford even thought to ship it with built-in elevated infant-mortality rates on the powerplant.
Here we go again. Just can’t help yourself can you.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Duh!

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That's pretty much where I'm at. In terms of regular street driving, if the Camaro is a 10, the GT350 feels like an 11. Objectively, they're pretty similar. The sound and presence of the GT350 is pretty intangible but what makes it seem so tempting. And it does just feel more special and probably will hold its resale value better in the next 3-4 years, which is probably how long I'd keep it.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
oh geez. lighten up.
With all the bashing lately, I just ass u med you were jumping on that bandwagon.
Hard to pick up on joking unless you back it up with something alerting us. Not everyone knows everyone else.
Sorry I misread.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty much where I'm at. In terms of regular street driving, if the Camaro is a 10, the GT350 feels like an 11.
You have the FE3 suspension as opposed to the FE4 with the Magneride and various other bits that come with the 1LE, yes? In which case you're at an 8. You can buy some/all of the FE4 or if you really want to go off the deep end the Multimatic suspension from somebody on Camaro6. A few of the bits from BMR will tighten up the Camaro chassis further.

probably will hold its resale value better in the next 3-4 years, which is probably how long I'd keep it.
that is indeed a safe statement.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange

I do wonder if Ford somehow prevented that head to head from happening. It does seem word would get out about that, however.

Top manual NA Mustang vs. Top manual NA Camaro seems like an obvious comparison test. Weird we never saw it.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
If you can't tell the difference in performance between a SS and GT350 you should probably
I am currently leasing a 2017 Camaro SS M/T that is my daily driver, and the lease is ending in a few weeks. Given how much used car prices have gone up, I can buy my lease out for $25k and realistically sell it for $34-35k. I love the SS but have had it for three years and the GT350 is something I’ve had my eye on for awhile as kind of the next step up from what I have now. I test drove one recently and loved the exhaust and shifter.

The Voodoo engine definitely has a different feel than the LT1, as it feels less torquey at lower RPMs but likes to rev out a lot more than the LT1. The SS fees faster around town and from a stop, and I’d guess the GT350 feels faster at speed when the revs are up. The exhaust note is incredible on the GT350 and would never get old hearing it. The GT350 also has a better feeling shifter.

One downside to me personally to the GT350 is that I used to have a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang Premium for 3 years prior to the Camaro, so everything else about the GT350 inside seems kind of old and familiar at this point, and it has fewer daily comforts than my old Mustang had. My Camaro is also the 2SS which has a nice interior and a lot of daily comforts like heated steering wheel and ventilated seats.

Anyway, a decent used GT350 is probably $45-$50k right now, so at least $20k more than I can buy out my Camaro SS for. I’m pretty torn about what to do but would love to hear anyone else’s thoughts as to whether this really justifies the premium. I’m not looking to track this or race, but I do value having a V8 RWD manual car that is fun to drive and is somewhat practical as a daily (likely ruling out a Corvette for that reason). I’m also not interested in a Mustang GT as that seems too similar to what I had before and not really a big enough upgrade over what I have now for the money.
So you can buy out your lease for 25k, how much have you already spent in the lease? That is the true price of the Camaro.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So you can buy out your lease for 25k, how much have you already spent in the lease? That is the true price of the Camaro.
That's a sunk cost though; all I can control is how much to spend from here on out (to answer your question, if I would buy out the lease and sell it back to Vroom right away for their offer, the net cost of the lease for 39 months including the equity from selling it would be about $11,000).

But either way, I'm really looking at a future outlay of $25k for the Camaro or $45-50k for a GT350. The lease is money spent either way, whichever option I choose.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That's a sunk cost though; all I can control is how much to spend from here on out (to answer your question, if I would buy out the lease and sell it back to Vroom right away for their offer, the net cost of the lease for 39 months including the equity from selling it would be about $11,000).

But either way, I'm really looking at a future outlay of $25k for the Camaro or $45-50k for a GT350. The lease is money spent either way, whichever option I choose.
So I don't mean this to be a dig to you at all! But because you're evening asking this question makes me think the Camaro is better for you. The GT350 isn't really a bargain and when compared to the Camaro, even less so. So, unless the FPC engine /Shelby badge and styling is driving you to spend that $$$ on its own, I don't think you'll be happy with the decision. As others have said, there's plenty about the Camaro that works better day to day and will be a bigger benefit to you if you're not prioritizing the Shelby looks and engine note above all else (this all assumes track use isn't in your future).

I almost ordered the exact car you have before I secured my GT350 allocation, so I get where you're at. But for me, the engine and Shelby looks pulled me towards the GT350 (I could handle the heavier chassis, inferior interior, lack of tech, etc.). Though, to be fair, my car became a dedicated track car in 2 two years. YMMV :)
Sponsored