Sponsored

Worth it to remove engine cover for track day? (2018+ GT)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I read that it won't come off without removing the strut tower brace. What a hassle.

Note: I neither love nor hate the look of the cover, so no need to comment on its appearance.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I took that off the first time I popped the hood after taking delivery of the car, and hasn't been back on since. Not sure what it does.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Is it worth it to spend time removing parts to marginally lighten your car for a non-competitive track day where you’re likely to get stuck behind other drivers for portions of each lap? No, not really, but its up to you.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The weight is negligible. I was asking because of potential heat soak.
It won't make a lick of difference as long as you're running a solid tight fitting hood.

Now if you had a big center vent, I would say that the humongous Gen 3 plastic cover will indeed restrict some heat rising up from the engine and out the vent. But with a closed hood, there's very little difference if you take it off or not as the heat doesn't have much of anywhere to go anyway.

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It won't make a lick of difference as long as you're running a solid tight fitting hood.

Now if you had a big center vent, I would say that the humongous Gen 3 plastic cover will indeed restrict some heat rising up from the engine and out the vent. But with a closed hood, there's very little difference if you take it off or not as the heat doesn't have much of anywhere to go anyway.
I've seen a few degrees lower CHT ever since I removed my engine cover. IMO it absolutely traps heat over the heads/coil packs. I don't think it's a significant detriment to the engine's longevity or anything, but it's certainly not helping either.

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
With how big and ugly that cover was, and not being able to inspect components track side, I ditched mine day one.
Sponsored