Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I beg to differ. Sync 3 is one of the best navigation systems I've seen. It has one of the nicest and clearest interfaces, being surpassed only by Sync 2 (yes, I know Sync 2 was painfully slow and extremely awkward to use, but its map screen was second to none).
Waze or Apple Maps cannot hold a candle to it.
However, any navigation system is only as good as its maps are. I don't know how good the NA maps are. The European ones are great.
What good is a navigation system that doesnā€™t contain any of the actual information you would need to navigate somewhere such as businesses and physical addresses?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What good is a navigation system that doesnā€™t contain any of the actual information you would need to navigate somewhere such as businesses and physical addresses?
I would forward my complaintā€™s to the map maker. In this case itā€™s https://www.here.com/

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I use Waze for longer trips, or trips to destinations, cause I want the feature set that Waze has.

The Ford voice search is definitely infuriating. Waze find what I want 9/10, Ford finds it 0/10 cause it always wants to search near something which is just broken.

Ford's Sync 3 navigation works, but only if I can stop and find the commit the actual address before I start driving, which often I can't do.

Deleted member 56911

Is it just me or is the ā€œvoiceā€ navigation system on the sync3 in my new Mustang the worst system ever put in a modern car? The navigation in my 2012 Mazda was far better. Whenever I search for anything, if it finds anything at all, it gives me results ranging from 8 miles away to 800 miles away in no specific order. It also has absolutely no idea what businesses are actually in my city. Am I just doing something wrong or does this system just plain old suck?
Today the navigator on my 2020 GT500 told me to turn right when it shouldā€™ve told me to turn left. After it told me that Iā€™ve arrived at my destination I knew I was in trouble because there was nothing but empty corn fields around. Lucky for me I had Google maps on my phone.

OP
OP
TheYankeeMarshal

TheYankeeMarshal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Today the navigator on my 2020 GT500 told me to turn right when it shouldā€™ve told me to turn left. After it told me that Iā€™ve arrived at my destination I knew I was in trouble because there was nothing but empty corn fields around. Lucky for me I had Google maps on my phone.
Better a cornfield than the middle of a lake or river.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No good, of course. But that's not its fault. It's the map. In Europe it does contain them.
I guess it's the same with Apple Maps - gorgeous in America, with 3D buildings and all, while in the rest of the world it's an utter piece of shit. It could be the other way around with the Here maps, I don't know...

OP
OP
TheYankeeMarshal

TheYankeeMarshal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
No good, of course. But that's not its fault. It's the map. In Europe it does contain them.
I guess it's the same with Apple Maps - gorgeous in America, with 3D buildings and all, while in the rest of the world it's an utter piece of shit. It could be the other way around with the Here maps, I don't know...
I didn't realize you were European. If I had known that before I responded I would have realized your opinion did not matter. šŸ˜†šŸ˜˜šŸ˜œ

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Fair enough. :giggle:
But indeed, for a car that's supposed to be the same all over the world, there are surprisingly many differences that make it difficult for us to relate to each other's experience. The maps. The exhaust sound. The factory tires. The way the traction control is set up. And so on...

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Iā€™m still waiting for Ford navigation to add my house. But itā€™s only been here 5 years. Maybe some day šŸ™„

Sucks to buy something extra but Iā€™m considering the adapter in this video. The humblemechanic has never steered me wrong on my VWs.
I had that problem with Garmin, in FL, and had to correct them myself.
Maybe Ford's navigation network has a similar feature for you to correct bad info?

While I was learning the way between my new job and new house, Garmin kept trying to turn me onto this dirt road that went past my neighborhood, and had no paved connection. Even in my neighborhood, on my street, Garmin thought my address was 3 doors down from where it really was.

When family got lost trying to find my house, I thought there must be something I could do to set Garmin straight.
I had to poke around the Garmin web site until I found the link to give them feedback and make corrections.

They had a spot for written feedback, and I spelled out for them
"Stop telling people to go down Arena Rd to get to Titanium Dr. There is no paved connection. Arena Rd isn't even paved. It's called "Arena" because that's Spanish for sand, and that's what the damn road is made of."

I wrote out a correct route for from the main road, and gave them the correct coordinates for my address.

At some point Garmin asked me for a source that shows these things correctly. I named Mapquest and Google Maps, i.e. their competitors. šŸ˜

It took a few months, but Garmin fixed it with their next update and then my parents could find my house with their Garmin device.
(Wait... Why was that a good idea? šŸ˜… )

Years later I went through a similar process to tell Garmin how to get to NCCAR from I-95. Hint: Not through the gated driveway to that person's farm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
While I was learning the way between my new job and new house, Garmin kept trying to turn me onto this dirt road that went past my neighborhood, and had no paved connection.
That's an easy fix. Garmins allow you to define roads or areas to be avoided. Just tell it to avoid that dirt road, and that's it, it won't suggest it again.
All navigation systems worth their salt have this feature. Apart from, obviously, Sync 3. :cwl:
Ironically, Sync 2 had it. :giggle:

Maybe Ford's navigation network has a similar feature for you to correct bad info?
Yes, it does.

https://mapfeedback.here.com

It does work, in my experience. I've reported errors a few times, and they seemed to be fixed in the subsequent release.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Keep in mind the N. American GPS Satellite system is an antique VS Gallelaio and Chinas system....must have something to do with it it's simply impossible to get it that wrong while in Europe can direct you to a pin point.
Keep in mind the N. American GPS Satellite system is an antique VS Galileo and China's system....must have something to do with it. it's simply impossible to get it that wrong while in Europe can direct you to a pin point.
My problems with Garmin directions are never about coordinates, but always look like someone decided a route by looking at an aerial view and taking a guess as to what was what.

Or, in the case of my old neighborhood in Florida, Garmin probably determined house numbers by using a developer's plan filed with the city. It took my frustration and feedback for them to realize their information was outdated. Garmin's road map was mostly right, except for not realizing the dirt road was dirt, and the "road" from there to my house was just where 4WDs had beaten a path across an empty lot, and whoever owned that lot had gotten tired of it and put up a fence.

My most recent Garmin heartburn was when they directed me and my moving truck, while towing, onto something like "Twisty Mountain Road" that lived up to its name and was only one lane wide in a couple of places. But at least it was a paved road! If you were looking at an aerial view, it probably looked like a shorter distance than if I stayed on the Interstate, and Garmin's programmers couldn't account for all the other disadvantages.

OP
OP
TheYankeeMarshal

TheYankeeMarshal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
My most recent Garmin heartburn was when they directed me and my moving truck, while towing, onto something like "Twisty Mountain Road" that lived up to its name and was only one lane wide in a couple of places. But at least it was a paved road! If you were looking at an aerial view, it probably looked like a shorter distance than if I stayed on the Interstate, and Garmin's programmers couldn't account for all the other disadvantages.
If it directs you onto a mountain road called "Trucker's Certain Death Hwy" hit reroute.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
When I moved into my current home, both Ford Navigation and Apple Maps would properly route me to my home address. Google Maps and Waze would route me a location over 3 miles away from my home. I had a number of deliveries that were delayed because they used Google Maps or Waze (even when I told the delivery people to not used them). It took two years to get Google to fix it.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The Sync in our Edge was great, if you had the address. Having it look up addresses was near impossible, and I wound up yelling at the car when it would repeat back utter gibberish...over and over again. If wife was with me, she'd look it up on her phone, otherwise I'd have to pull over to do the same.

The final solution was to look up addresses prior to leaving, and pre-programing the Nav. system in the driveway for anywhere you might be going that trip, so it was in the memory. It worked great like that, inpromptue excursions on the fly were still a pain!

If only waze could use the built in GPS when out of cell reception.
Sponsored