Worried the used car market bubble wont pop anytime soon

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
You said you can't compare car to car and then you start comparing both cars lol. Just giving you a hard time! :giggle: :crazy:

Anyways, cars throughout history have had different trim levels. Some trim levels may have a different engine or may come with leather seats instead of cloth seats. When it comes down to it, you are still comparing the most optioned out Mustang in 1995 to a base model Mustang in 2021. Technology is ever-evolving. Obviously today's vehicles are better in all aspects than a vehicle from 1995. A Honda Civic from today could beat that Mustang Cobra R from 1995. The Cobra R was impressive in 1995 and is still impressive today in 2021. But when comparing price, you can't compare two different trim levels. That's truly apples to oranges.
that's $68,000 in today's funny money. So right on what the GT350(R) was going for.
Kids don't buy cobras, they buy the cheapest they can find.

Ford is pricing people out of the market in general but the EB is the saving grace. Porsche charges 65,000 for one of their 300HP 4-bangers...

27k for an EB today was ~15 large back in 1995. Were you guys buying base (v6?) Mustangs back then for that price? I personally don't know since I had zero interest in Mustangs till 2014.
Not sure about that the car in the window sticker had a 5.8 HO engine and it’s a rare bird from back then.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was at the Ford dealer a month ago and asked him what he would give me for my car, and he said the time to buy a Mustang GT had passed. Apparently people buy them in spring and early summer, and by late summer nobody wants a Mustang, cause most people don't like driving them in snow. Not sure if that's true or if he was just saying that to try to lowball me.
Well that may be true in Ontario or any place that gets snow. Down here in SC Mustangs are sold year round.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I wonder what the ADM was like on that ‘95 Cobra sale.
I don't recall what ADM was on a 94/95 Cobra - but the 2000 Cobra R was a $20k+ ADM at the time... some of those poor souls are lucky if they can even break even today (21 years later).

There was a 93R listed on BaT in the last week or so that broke 6-figures. Last I looked bids were at the $130k mark.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I still can't believe I sold my 17 GT for $37k back in May. Vroom is on crack, lol.

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I still can't believe I sold my 17 GT for $37k back in May. Vroom is on crack, lol.
Did your car have mods you left on it and did you tell them for your quote?

Just wondering. Vroom is still ridiculous. They are still in the $38k-$39k range offer with 35k miles. Carvana is only $27k.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Did your car have mods you left on it and did you tell them for your quote?

Just wondering. Vroom is still ridiculous. They are still in the $38k-$39k range offer with 35k miles. Carvana is only $27k.
Yeah, I still had bolt ons and suspension. They did not care. I was truthful about everything. I did swap the manifold back to the stock 2017 one so I could put the stock tune back on. I left the 2018 intake tube on it and it ran fine to me! It's a case of "not my problem" now.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I knew someone was going to come back with that but you cannot compare car to car. A current S550 is much more of a car in all respects than anything made in 1995. Actual many of the parts in the $14K package are now standard on a base GT. So again apples to oranges.

My point was that you could buy a Mustang GT in 1995 that cost only $4k less than you could buy one for in 2021. That's not bad. Would I like a fully loaded GT for $25k? Sure, who wouldn't. But that is not possible in today's world.
Meh, you can't really use that thinking. The fact that today's platform is better does not matter when you are comparing a vehicle of today and the technology that comes with 40 years of advancements.
A 1996 Gt and a 2021 GT, rear drive, v8 pony car with no options, base car.
Both cost millions in R&D, To design/engineer . One just has all the advancements of 40 years, that was a pipe dream when the Fox body was Designed.
If I walked into a dealer in 1996 and ordered a base v8 mustang , that would have been the notchback, then fast forward to today and a 2021 non-prem base gt. I.E. the lowest starting point to get into a Mustang with a v8 stuffed between the strut towers.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was one of those fools who thought that $60k was actually true. Then I called a few dealers.
It was true, but many dealers did what they do to a NEW car that has demand and adds market adjustment.
A co-worker has a 2020 corvette z51 car the z51 package brought the price to 67999.00
Not bad for a vette.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
It was true, but many dealers did what they do to a NEW car that has demand and adds market adjustment.
A co-worker has a 2020 corvette z51 car the z51 package brought the price to 67999.00
Not bad for a vette.
In Canada, most of the dealers said they were only offering up to previous Corvette customers. Those that had the 1LT trim wanted well over 100k CDN. Majority only had the 2LT and 3LT and they were well north of 140k CDN if you could find inventory.

So yes, they had some base 1LT models for lower prices -- but they wouldn't sell me one for that lower price.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well not one penny has actually been spent. The us and Canada absolutely need to bring chip production back onshore. If that happens that will be a good thing.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canadian dealers are jacked up on covid welfare seeing record profits never experienced before ever. They must keep revenues suppressed to keep the highly profitable govt cash flow gravy train rolling.

Now that Huwaei Meng was released, I expect China will cancel many of their chip procurement contracts sucking up everything sending strong signals to the world. They have warehouses with tens of thousands of containers of chips that will hit the market ( ever wondered why there is a sudden container shortage haha) collapsing demand just as westerners spent $250 BN on new production lol.
Don't matter, the fact that this can cripple the economy is worth starting to make chips in the west. Even if they cost 12 cents more to make.
Only a
Can't
Understand
Normal
Thinkers
Would find,take issue with paying a little more to not be under another countries thumb.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well not one penny has actually been spent. The us and Canada absolutely need to bring chip production back onshore. If that happens that will be a good thing.
Isn't the issue that the machines building the chips are also on backlog, delayed and not available?
So yes, in the future getting ready for these and bringing things here from overseas makes sense, but it's not a quick fix with immediate results.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the issue that the machines building the chips are also on backlog, delayed and not available?
So yes, in the future getting ready for these and bringing things here from overseas makes sense, but it's not a quick fix with immediate results.
correct the lead times are >> 6mo. So in that respect it's 2 years before the problem is "solved" to some extent. But by then short of a shooting war with China, the hoopla will have died down and western mankind will revert to profits uber alles and stick our heads back in the sand of ignoring tail risk.
Sponsored