Worried the used car market bubble wont pop anytime soon

Bit_the_Bullitt

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is part of why this conversation is so ridiculous. Everything costs more today than it did 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago. We owners of $30K-$50K+ sports cars then get on here and bitch about Ford and the current cost of Mustangs. What a bunch of hypocrites.

By the way I took this picture last week because I knew it would come in handy just for this type of conversation. $38K for a Mustang 26 years old. Our cars were a value then and they are still a value. A brand new 2021 460HP V8 powered sports car for $37K.

And don't get me started on peanut butter. :cwl: :crackup:

IMG_3082.jpeg
The only thing that's really alarming about this is the "FORD - Quality is Job 1." :giggle:

Sorry I know that's a cheap jab. :)
Advertisement

ICU812

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger, Ford Mustang,FFR
I looked at it this way, I had a 1970 Chevelle that I sank about the same amount of money my, new EB HHP cost me.
The new car does everything better than the classic, other than stand out and the big block rumble.
I will most likely have the same type money into my G body if I put a manual in it. And as cool as it is and will be, the new car will run rings around it, We are kinda spoiled with new performance cars.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
that's $68,000 in today's funny money. So right on what the GT350(R) was going for.
Kids don't buy cobras, they buy the cheapest they can find.

Ford is pricing people out of the market in general but the EB is the saving grace. Porsche charges 65,000 for one of their 300HP 4-bangers...
Watch Savageese's video on Boxster 718 T, they had "as tested" of $78k for a 4-popper. :facepalm:🤷‍♂️

shogun32

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Watch Savageese's video on Boxster 718 T, they had "as tested" of $78k for a 4-popper. :facepalm:🤷‍♂️
yup, watched the video last night which is why the number was fresh on my mind. I was discounting the options...

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
that's $68,000 in today's funny money. So right on what the GT350(R) was going for.

Ford is pricing people out of the market in general but the EB is the saving grace. Porsche charges 65,000 for one of their 300HP 4-bangers...

27k for an EB today was ~15 large back in 1995. Were you guys buying base (v6?) Mustangs back then for that price? I personally don't know since I had zero interest in Mustangs till 2014.
Ford isn't pricing people out anymore than than any other car manufacturer. Both my daughters and one son in law have bought new cars in the last few months. Two Honda's and a VW. Remember when those brands were values. Go check todays prices and a Mustang GT is no big deal.

ICU812

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Kids buy the cheapest they can AFFORD, just like most that bought their own rides did.
Then built off that. nothing new there, my first car was a 50.00 car that needed a transmission, So 75 bucks and my time, I had a running/driving car.
Not many kids could ever buy a new car. They could after a few years of being in the work force. Problem now is, the last few decades kids were sold a load of crap, that they needed a college ed. to be anyone. So they now can't afford anything because of the 50-100k+ student loans.
I think a loaded GT at 50-54k nuts, but that has more to do with me remembering looking at new fox body cars with a sticker of 11-18k . A lot of time has past since then and I along with many forget just how long.
It was a sad day last month when the news stated that Donkey Kong was 40 years old. I was like WTF. really.

shogun32

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford isn't pricing people out anymore than than any other car manufacturer.
sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was only Ford. People are buying "a payment" and with free money and "no risk" the underwriters are financializing the planet so the originating lender has no concern about loss.

ICU812

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yup, watched the video last night which is why the number was fresh on my mind. I was discounting the options...
That guy is not a fan of anything Ford/chevy/dodge.
If it isn't a honda, he doesn't have much good to say.

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was only Ford. People are buying "a payment" and with free money and "no risk" the underwriters are financializing the planet so the originating lender has no concern about loss.
Understood Matt. It's just that a number of us Mustang owners seem to think it's only Ford and only the Mustang. Honestly I think a lot of this has to do with the $60K C8. I think Chevy underpriced it by quite a bit and now we think a loaded Mustang look like a ripoff.

IPOGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang FP/GT
Did y’all miss the $2,100 gas guzzler tax on that sticker?

Ebm

Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This is part of why this conversation is so ridiculous. Everything costs more today than it did 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago. We owners of $30K-$50K+ sports cars then get on here and bitch about Ford and the current cost of Mustangs. What a bunch of hypocrites.

By the way I took this picture last week because I knew it would come in handy just for this type of conversation. $38K for a Mustang 26 years old. Our cars were a value then and they are still a value. A brand new 2021 460HP V8 powered sports car for $37K.

And don't get me started on peanut butter. :cwl: :crackup:

IMG_3082.jpeg
This is a bit of a strawman argument isn't it? You found the most expensive Mustang for 1995. You are comparing a Cobra to a regular GT. You need to compare a regular GT in 1995 to a regular GT now. If you are going to compare a Cobra, compare it to a Mach 1 or GT500. Take off the "R" package listed and it drops the cars price by $13,699! That's one expensive package. So what's left? A 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra for $21,300. That's a much better price! But we can do better. We don't need a Cobra, we just need a base Mustang with the 8 cylinder in it. So what did a Mustang GT go for in 1995? You could get one for only $16,910!

I know... I know... Inflation. If you take $16,910 from 1995, it is close to $30,000 in 2021. But people just like seeing a low number like $16,910. Imagine a brand new GT for $16,910 these days. Inflation ruins everything! How about someone inflating my bank account with money?

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This is a bit of a strawman argument isn't it? You found the most expensive Mustang for 1995. You are comparing a Cobra to a regular GT. You need to compare a regular GT in 1995 to a regular GT now. If you are going to compare a Cobra, compare it to a Mach 1 or GT500. Take off the "R" package listed and it drops the cars price by $13,699! That's one expensive package. So what's left? A 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra for $21,300. That's a much better price! But we can do better. We don't need a Cobra, we just need a base Mustang with the 8 cylinder in it. So what did a Mustang GT go for in 1995? You could get one for only $16,910!

I know... I know... Inflation. If you take $16,910 from 1995, it is close to $30,000 in 2021. But people just like seeing a low number like $16,910. Imagine a brand new GT for $16,910 these days. Inflation ruins everything! How about someone inflating my bank account with money?
I knew someone was going to come back with that but you cannot compare car to car. A current S550 is much more of a car in all respects than anything made in 1995. Actual many of the parts in the $14K package are now standard on a base GT. So again apples to oranges.

My point was that you could buy a Mustang GT in 1995 that cost only $4k less than you could buy one for in 2021. That's not bad. Would I like a fully loaded GT for $25k? Sure, who wouldn't. But that is not possible in today's world.

FinitePrimus

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Understood Matt. It's just that a number of us Mustang owners seem to think it's only Ford and only the Mustang. Honestly I think a lot of this has to do with the $60K C8. I think Chevy underpriced it by quite a bit and now we think a loaded Mustang look like a ripoff.
I was one of those fools who thought that $60k was actually true. Then I called a few dealers.

shogun32

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was one of those fools who thought that $60k was actually true. Then I called a few dealers.
for 2022 and assuming full-rate production, the 60k car will likely be back (or at 65k if they simply won't offer anything lower than the Z51 trim)

FinitePrimus

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
for 2022 and assuming full-rate production, the 60k car will likely be back (or at 65k if they simply won't offer anything lower than the Z51 trim)
I went the Mustang route again instead, for more than I would have paid for a base C8. Hindsight, I've not seen the best coming from the C8 so maybe they need another year or two to iron out the quality issues.

I'm happy and I'll re-evaluate in the future. There is a reason the aftermarket C7's are going for more than C8's right now, but that's a different discussion.

Advertisement

50 - Livernois - 1
Advertisement