Sponsored

Worried the used car market bubble wont pop anytime soon

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford isn't pricing people out anymore than than any other car manufacturer.
sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was only Ford. People are buying "a payment" and with free money and "no risk" the underwriters are financializing the planet so the originating lender has no concern about loss.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
yup, watched the video last night which is why the number was fresh on my mind. I was discounting the options...
That guy is not a fan of anything Ford/chevy/dodge.
If it isn't a honda, he doesn't have much good to say.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was only Ford. People are buying "a payment" and with free money and "no risk" the underwriters are financializing the planet so the originating lender has no concern about loss.
Understood Matt. It's just that a number of us Mustang owners seem to think it's only Ford and only the Mustang. Honestly I think a lot of this has to do with the $60K C8. I think Chevy underpriced it by quite a bit and now we think a loaded Mustang look like a ripoff.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Did y’all miss the $2,100 gas guzzler tax on that sticker?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This is part of why this conversation is so ridiculous. Everything costs more today than it did 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago. We owners of $30K-$50K+ sports cars then get on here and bitch about Ford and the current cost of Mustangs. What a bunch of hypocrites.

By the way I took this picture last week because I knew it would come in handy just for this type of conversation. $38K for a Mustang 26 years old. Our cars were a value then and they are still a value. A brand new 2021 460HP V8 powered sports car for $37K.

And don't get me started on peanut butter. :cwl: :crackup:

IMG_3082.jpeg
This is a bit of a strawman argument isn't it? You found the most expensive Mustang for 1995. You are comparing a Cobra to a regular GT. You need to compare a regular GT in 1995 to a regular GT now. If you are going to compare a Cobra, compare it to a Mach 1 or GT500. Take off the "R" package listed and it drops the cars price by $13,699! That's one expensive package. So what's left? A 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra for $21,300. That's a much better price! But we can do better. We don't need a Cobra, we just need a base Mustang with the 8 cylinder in it. So what did a Mustang GT go for in 1995? You could get one for only $16,910!

I know... I know... Inflation. If you take $16,910 from 1995, it is close to $30,000 in 2021. But people just like seeing a low number like $16,910. Imagine a brand new GT for $16,910 these days. Inflation ruins everything! How about someone inflating my bank account with money?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is a bit of a strawman argument isn't it? You found the most expensive Mustang for 1995. You are comparing a Cobra to a regular GT. You need to compare a regular GT in 1995 to a regular GT now. If you are going to compare a Cobra, compare it to a Mach 1 or GT500. Take off the "R" package listed and it drops the cars price by $13,699! That's one expensive package. So what's left? A 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra for $21,300. That's a much better price! But we can do better. We don't need a Cobra, we just need a base Mustang with the 8 cylinder in it. So what did a Mustang GT go for in 1995? You could get one for only $16,910!

I know... I know... Inflation. If you take $16,910 from 1995, it is close to $30,000 in 2021. But people just like seeing a low number like $16,910. Imagine a brand new GT for $16,910 these days. Inflation ruins everything! How about someone inflating my bank account with money?
I knew someone was going to come back with that but you cannot compare car to car. A current S550 is much more of a car in all respects than anything made in 1995. Actual many of the parts in the $14K package are now standard on a base GT. So again apples to oranges.

My point was that you could buy a Mustang GT in 1995 that cost only $4k less than you could buy one for in 2021. That's not bad. Would I like a fully loaded GT for $25k? Sure, who wouldn't. But that is not possible in today's world.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Understood Matt. It's just that a number of us Mustang owners seem to think it's only Ford and only the Mustang. Honestly I think a lot of this has to do with the $60K C8. I think Chevy underpriced it by quite a bit and now we think a loaded Mustang look like a ripoff.
I was one of those fools who thought that $60k was actually true. Then I called a few dealers.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I was one of those fools who thought that $60k was actually true. Then I called a few dealers.
for 2022 and assuming full-rate production, the 60k car will likely be back (or at 65k if they simply won't offer anything lower than the Z51 trim)

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
for 2022 and assuming full-rate production, the 60k car will likely be back (or at 65k if they simply won't offer anything lower than the Z51 trim)
I went the Mustang route again instead, for more than I would have paid for a base C8. Hindsight, I've not seen the best coming from the C8 so maybe they need another year or two to iron out the quality issues.

I'm happy and I'll re-evaluate in the future. There is a reason the aftermarket C7's are going for more than C8's right now, but that's a different discussion.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I knew someone was going to come back with that but you cannot compare car to car. A current S550 is much more of a car in all respects than anything made in 1995. Actual many of the parts in the $14K package are now standard on a base GT. So again apples to oranges.

My point was that you could buy a Mustang GT in 1995 that cost only $4k less than you could buy one for in 2021. That's not bad. Would I like a fully loaded GT for $25k? Sure, who wouldn't. But that is not possible in today's world.
I wonder what the ADM was like on that ‘95 Cobra sale.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

:clap:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You said you can't compare car to car and then you start comparing both cars lol. Just giving you a hard time! :giggle: :crazy:

Anyways, cars throughout history have had different trim levels. Some trim levels may have a different engine or may come with leather seats instead of cloth seats. When it comes down to it, you are still comparing the most optioned out Mustang in 1995 to a base model Mustang in 2021. Technology is ever-evolving. Obviously today's vehicles are better in all aspects than a vehicle from 1995. A Honda Civic from today could beat that Mustang Cobra R from 1995. The Cobra R was impressive in 1995 and is still impressive today in 2021. But when comparing price, you can't compare two different trim levels. That's truly apples to oranges.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I was at the Ford dealer a month ago and asked him what he would give me for my car, and he said the time to buy a Mustang GT had passed. Apparently people buy them in spring and early summer, and by late summer nobody wants a Mustang, cause most people don't like driving them in snow. Not sure if that's true or if he was just saying that to try to lowball me.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went the Mustang route again instead, for more than I would have paid for a base C8. Hindsight, I've not seen the best coming from the C8 so maybe they need another year or two to iron out the quality issues.

I'm happy and I'll re-evaluate in the future. There is a reason the aftermarket C7's are going for more than C8's right now, but that's a different discussion.
Have cracking wheels and leaky top been fixed yet on C8?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was at the Ford dealer a month ago and asked him what he would give me for my car, and he said the time to buy a Mustang GT had passed. Apparently people buy them in spring and early summer, and by late summer nobody wants a Mustang, cause most people don't like driving them in snow. Not sure if that's true or if he was just saying that to try to lowball me.
BS. September is knows for sports car month. Highest demand.
Sponsored