Wondering what type of jacks to use with 4-post lift

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I have this wonderful new 4-post lift from Advantage that included a heavy duty jacking tray. Thing is I'm not sure what my options might be for jacks using the tray. There's old school pneumatic jack and stands, then I found some nice air bag lifts. I did see for a lot of money you can buy a complete jacking system on it own rolling platform but $2000+, whoa.

Anyone share what they use if you have a setup like this? some pics included.
IMG_6335.jpg

us_2BCQQJD0000000001V0_goods_img-v2_pneumatic-jack-m100-1.2.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-22 104920.jpg

The tray as installed.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 104842.jpg
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I use scissors jacks but am thinking of the airbag. I looked for an ultra-low profile hydraulic jack with a remote pump but they are $$$.
mustang_1_20200422_111158_resized.jpg

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Last edited:
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I've got the atlas 4 post lift and considered the scissor style lift accessory, but honestly I've found when I'm taking the wheels off I tend to use the floor bay and standard rolling jack. Its just quicker and easier after the novelty of having the lift wears off.

https://www.tooltopia.com/Atlas-Equ...Y7a9INaZJzcjK7wdOqDJC8_aBiT9l9coaAvY2EALw_wcB
I get that, my thing is the other half of the garage is my woodshop and can use it for the car. I guess I could do the rolling jack with the Mustang under the lift. Or just put the Mustang on it then lower to as much as needed then jack it up with the air bag lifts for brakes, wheels, etc.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I get that, my thing is the other half of the garage is my woodshop and can use it for the car. I guess I could do the rolling jack with the Mustang under the lift. Or just put the Mustang on it then lower to as much as needed then jack it up with the air bag lifts for brakes, wheels, etc.
Ah, yep in that case you're going to need to find a good solution. I really like the version from atlas that fits inside the jack tray rails. Its expensive, but if you use it frequently its probably more than worth the investment.

Sponsored

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I stopped using jack trays, I now use Quickjacks on the lifts ramps. Some instances this even better than scissor jacks (we have another lift with these), as the jacks can wind up in the way.

Sometimes, I also use tall jack stands on the floor, and lower the lift so the car raises off the lift (depends on the height I'm looking for, jack stands vs quickjacks).

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Ah, yep in that case you're going to need to find a good solution. I really like the version from atlas that fits inside the jack tray rails. Its expensive, but if you use it frequently its probably more than worth the investment.
it might be the best bet, down the road. For now I'll try the air bags then when I have oh around $1600 to $2200 I can get something like the Atlas or Quickjacks. Mostly what I see is wheel work, brakes, maybe suspension upgrades, tweaks. Just the lift works for any underbody jobs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To do a 4-post system like that, is there anything special that needs to be done with the concrete slab?

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
I use a pair of hydraulic scissor jacks. Do one side of the car at a time. They are inexpensive and reliable. The whole point is to avoid working on the floor on your knees and stressing your back. Put the car up to waist height and relax on a stool. Do this for detailing your wheels as well as the heavy wrenching stuff. Don't bother with the tray that came with the lift, it is only good for placing your tools. :)

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I use a pair of hydraulic scissor jacks. Do one side of the car at a time. They are inexpensive and reliable. The whole point is to avoid working on the floor on your knees and stressing your back. Put the car up to waist height and relax on a stool. Do this for detailing your wheels as well as the heavy wrenching stuff. Don't bother with the tray that came with the lift, it is only good for placing your tools. :)
LOL, sounds good, specially about the saving knees and back part.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
To do a 4-post system like that, is there anything special that needs to be done with the concrete slab?
Some of the manufacturers recommend a certain thickness in their literature. The 2 post lift ask for rebar reinforcement and an engineer approval. The 4 posts I've been researching lately tell you, level floor, and consult with local codes. 😐

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The concrete should be ok, the "feet" are large enough that the load per square inch is less than the car on its tires.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
No which is surprising. The guys I found came out measured the garage height, mine is little over 11' and told me the home builders here use enough concrete to hold the stand with cars no problem. it's not even bolted in, like it gonna move around on it's own haha. If you have the height probably good to go. Note you're in NJ to me an overly regulated state so not 100% for you there. Here we don't even have inspection!

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
No, but you have to assume your builder poured 4". You don't have to bolt the lift to the concrete, it will creep a bit over time, but it is easy to kick the offending post back in place. Those bottom plates are 1/4" thick, so no concerns. I would never put a 2 post in my garage... too risky.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
No, but you have to assume your builder poured 4". You don't have to bolt the lift to the concrete, it will creep a bit over time, but it is easy to kick the offending post back in place. Those bottom plates are 1/4" thick, so no concerns. I would never put a 2 post in my garage... too risky.
dude my plates are almost 1/2" I'd never kick one. ;-O
Sponsored