Sponsored

Wonder if 350 value will go "up" when GT500 is released?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
At the time I never saw what the big deal of the Boss 302 was. Yes 444 HP rating, but the regular 5.0 was re-rated at 420 with no internal changes. 24 HP!! WOOOEEEE!! :eyebulge: :shrug: The Boss motor just wasn't different or unique enough (for me) to consider it that special.

And then when the next gen. standard GT was faster around a track I felt my initial assumptions about the Boss 302 were confirmed.

I realize that there are a lot of other details and changes to the Boss cars that made them special. I have never driven one. Maybe if I had an opportunity to take one to a track I would change my mind.

Comparing the changes in the Boss to the magneride and FPC in the GT350, there really is no comparison for me. The GT350 is head and shoulders above the Boss.
With all due respect do you really think that there was only a 24 HP difference between the two engines?

Not even close and the 0 to 60 and 1/4 miles times confirm that the Boss was almost a half second faster 0 to 60 and with the quarter mile time almost a full second quicker as well. Maybe check out some of the chassis dyno results for the Boss 302 engine as it certainly exceeds 444 HP.

When the 2015 Mustang GT's came out I bought a 50th Anniversary model with advertised 435 HP and thought with only a 9 HP difference between that car and my Boss cars they would be pretty close in acceleration times but it was not even close. With the low end torque of the Coyote engine (also from 6500 to 7500 RPM compared to the GT) and especially with the LS with the PZero Corsa tires acceleration times compared to the GT350 are really not much different.

Having said that and to your point the GT350 cars are certainly a much better handling, braking, steering and balanced car than the Boss cars for sure and so they should be as the first Boss cars came out back in 2010 and still have the number 2 car in my garage from over 7 years ago.

If your down my way you are more than welcome to put PP0002 through its paces and suggest that you will be somewhat surprised with its performance.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
What some have said here I do agree with. Like many, I had to sell my Boss in order to make the GT350 purchase work. In a perfect world, I would have both cars as they are both unique experiences that are exclusive to each car. Boss is probably more fun around town as it feels "racier" with the exhaust, and the seats, and the lopey idle.. and the fun of it can be experienced within legal speed limits. While I agree that the boss engine is VERY stout, it wasn't a perfect vehicle. I think that if that car had legit brakes, and a real transmission, I would probably still have it. I did 3 track days with it, and I had puking brake fluid, flashing check engine light, or high RPM lockout each time. Yes, those are all things that could be "fixed" and if it was just a street car, its likely some of those things wouldn't have ever occurred. I will probably have another one someday. When I was invited to the Track Tour and experiece the GT350, I knew I was going to get one. It just has everything that I wanted in a car, and definately "fixed" some of the boss's shortcomings. It's not perfect either and time will tell in regards to FPC durability. I can say that I never had to think about if my rear bumper was sagging, or if the panel alignment was ok on Boss 302!! I think the "flaw" of the GT350 is it cannot truly be experienced on public roads. The performance window is just too high.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The GT350 for sure caused an influx of owner who previously would have never considered a Mustang of any kind.
Never considered a Mustang. Only reason I considered the GT350 is Randy Pobst, Savage Geese and knowing I couldn’t afford a 2017 Viper ACR (and it would be hell to drive off track).

Bought mine without having driven a mustang ever.. including the one I bought.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 GT350
i would love to have a gotta have it green boss next to my 350, they seem like pretty cool cars

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I was looking at a replacement for my 350Z, and had been considering the Cayman for a long time. Always had trouble pulling the trigger due to the high cost.

At one point MT did a comparison between the Boss 302 and the M3, and the Boss held its own. I think the M3 won, but the Boss was right there in pace and it did make me start looking at the Mustang differently. Was put off by the solid rear axle though.

The C7 was eventually revealed and I started thinking that might be a good replacement. Was following that release very closely, and was waiting for the data recorder and competition seats to become available before buying. But by the time they were available the new Mustang was revealed and the rumors of the GT350 started floating. At this point I did a 3-day class at the Ron Fellows School in order to drive the C7, but I already had the GT350 in mind. All the Vette guys at the school were giving me crap when I was saying that I would probably get a Mustang instead. But the C7 was a great car, just lacking a little excitement in the engine department.

Ended up getting the GT350, and it is exactly what I had hoped. Very fun on the street (although the lack of low-end torque is noticeable), awesome on the track, room for the kids, beautiful exterior, and a highly functional interior with everything I want (even in base form).

Don't really care if it holds its value or not, as I don't plan on selling for a long, long time.

But, it was the Boss 302 that first made me think of the Mustang as a possibility.

-T

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
If they had IRS and the Tremec gearbox of the GT350 I wouldn't have made a change.
Agreed. It’s also a plus not having to use those cheesy brake cooling ducts on the GT350

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I also think the GT350 is one of the best looking Mustangs in decades and is timeless.. it was the very first thing that caught my attention when I swore I'd probably never own another newer (non-60's era) Mustang. To me the GT350 is the perfect package of looks, sound, driver experience, and performance. I know the GT500 will check off the performance box for me, but not convinced yet that it will hit the looks, driver experience, and sound boxes.

How did I become interested in buying a GT350? I broke out the taillight in my 2014 Raptor and was in the Ford dealer picking up a new taillight, and When I was leaving I saw a white/blue striped GT350 on the showroom floor and the looks alone brought me in. The rest (learning about the car) made me obsess until I got one. I had no idea what the car was until I spotted it that day. :)

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
If they had IRS and the Tremec gearbox of the GT350 I wouldn't have made a change.
I have heard that they handle very respectably with a Watts link and a few upgrades. Obviously it is still a compromised design, but everything has its limitations. It is amazing what the aftermarket comes up with.
Sponsored