Sponsored

Wiring my flow gauge, anyone know what wire to use for instrument panel lights?

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I am wiring up a AEM flow gauge for my methanol setup but I am not having any luck finding which wire to tap for the instrument panel lights (dimmer) for the gauge lighting.

Does anyone know or have access to wiring diagram for the lighting switch in the dash? Search is not getting me anywhere.

I would like to have the light be dynamic and not always on or off.

Is it still the Violet wire like previous models off the head light switch?
Sponsored

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
well I was in there and installed my gauge but left the grey wire disconnected, the headlight switch has multiple violet wires I need to find out which wire is the dash illumination one.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If I remember, I'll try to look tonight or in the morning in the service manual to see if it shows anything. If so, I'll pdf it and send it over to you.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, thank you very much do you know if there is a plug schematic available to show which pins are which or is it on the plug itself, I noted in the PDF it is the purple/violet wire like I figured but there are two and I am not sure of the pinout to seperate the one for the panel cluster? I suppose I can just do a process of elimination with the other wires to determine the pin #s

Sponsored

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
It says on the PDF next to the wire, its pin 15 at the headlight switch. Two over from 15 at pin 13 is the other violet wire which is for the autolamp position, pin 12 is blue so if you see that go 3 over the other direction. It should also say on the plug itself.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I got that just did not notice if the pins on the switch or plug were numbered, so I was going to go by the color pattern of the existing wires to numbers. Gunna splice into that wire this weekend, I can read the gauge as is at the moment it does have a default light level but it would be nice to tie it into the dash.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yup that did it there are a bunch of pins not in use on that plug like pin1, 7, 8, 16 etc. So they were in a row like in the diagram. All set, so much better now that its tied in. Thanks a bunch man.

Greg94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Just to clarify, you tapped into pin 15. Or did you also tap into pin 13 so the auto lamp feature would apply as well.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Auto lamp does not apply in this case as the gauge is "always on" its lowest brightness when powered. Since the brightness will only adjust when the auto lamp feature activates when its dark enough anyway, so its a moot point because when the dash lights come on is when the gauge senses a voltage change for illumination from the violet wire on pin 15 anyway.

If you plug into the wire on pin 13 I think one of two outcomes would happen, either nothing happens and the gauge stays at its lowest brightness setting like the grey wire was never connected at all, or it will go to some sort of brightness level based on the amount of voltage supplied from the signal on the wire in pin 13 but it would not be adjustable. This is because its just a signal being sent to or from the BCM telling the lights to turn on. Nothing more.

So only 15 was needed to tap.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I was searching and came across this thread while looking for a way to wire up an autometer ES boost gauge. It has white lettering that turns red when the light is activated. I assume I could tap into PIN 13 so that this gauge would turn red when my other gauges turn red (my color) as well? (when it gets dark).

I can check the voltage of 13 if you believe it is only a small voltage signal and possibly use a small relay to power the gauge light (LED).

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Auto lamp does not apply in this case as the gauge is "always on" its lowest brightness when powered. Since the brightness will only adjust when the auto lamp feature activates when its dark enough anyway, so its a moot point because when the dash lights come on is when the gauge senses a voltage change for illumination from the violet wire on pin 15 anyway.

If you plug into the wire on pin 13 I think one of two outcomes would happen, either nothing happens and the gauge stays at its lowest brightness setting like the grey wire was never connected at all, or it will go to some sort of brightness level based on the amount of voltage supplied from the signal on the wire in pin 13 but it would not be adjustable. This is because its just a signal being sent to or from the BCM telling the lights to turn on. Nothing more.

So only 15 was needed to tap.
What color wire did you splice Into for illumination?? Thanks Anthony
Sponsored