Sponsored

Winter wheels that fit our Bullitt's

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
I still have a set of wheels from my 15 gt with michlen all season. Didnt use them last winter. Wasnt that cold here. The a/4 actually did ok.

20200510_175330.jpg
Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I still have a set of wheels from my 15 gt with michlen all season. Didnt use them last winter. Wasnt that cold here. The a/4 actually did ok.

20200510_175330.jpg
You're arguably in a lot warmer location though right? I can understand how there all seasons would do fine, here in OH with my very first RWD I think I wanna play it on the safe side.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Who am I to judge? My setup was $2,394.75 delivered, so I'm just as bad.

I thought about the Sottozeros, but I was underwhelmed with the Pirellis that came on my M235 for a lot of reasons, and fell back to Michelins. YMMV.

Get a set of Steeda jacking rails (https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-5212-s550-low-profile-jacking-rails). Makes the switchover so much easier. As we have a skim of snow forecast for tomorrow, I need to look at putting my snow set on soon, and it's so much easier being able to avoid the "line the jack up with the right spot on the pinch rail" game. Only took me about a half hour to install them lying in the driveway, no lifting of the car required.

One last thing. Before you order, call TireRack and ask if you need any special mounting items (centering rings and the like) with the wheels you've chosen. Not a deal-breaker, but something to keep in mind.
I guess I meant more along the lines if I'm looking at the wrong things and could get away with paying half the money. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a deal or something.
Yeah, that's actually almost to a dollar same price I'm looking at.

I see that set of rails - without reading too much into it, you just bolt them to the car and leave them there forever?
Does this get in the way of the jack though? I bought the kit from Automotive Authority (the one that has the spare and the jack), hopefully it'll work.

And good point about the order, thanks!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I see that set of rails - without reading too much into it, you just bolt them to the car and leave them there forever?
Does this get in the way of the jack though? I bought the kit from Automotive Authority (the one that has the spare and the jack), hopefully it'll work.
Yes, you just bolt them on once.

I will need to take a look at the jack issue, however. From (very poor) memory of the (very dim) view under the car, I think they leave enough clear on the pinch rail.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
You're arguably in a lot warmer location though right? I can understand how there all seasons would do fine, here in OH with my very first RWD I think I wanna play it on the safe side.
Here in sacramento ca. The michlen s4 are summer only. But still work in the 50 s plus.
My 15 gt with the perelli p zero was slippery. Needed heat !
I may swap out the tires and wheels for this winter. The S3 s are really great tires for here.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just went out and looked. For the Steeda rails that I posted the link for, the front and back jack points closest to the wheel are fully clear. I will confess that I did not pull the jack out from the storage well to try it.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Probably picking up a set of AM PP1 Replica 19x8.5's for my late fall to early spring setup. Currently running 275/35R20 on my Roush forged wheels which are 9.5" wide. I'm trying to avoid spacers and don't care really if I lose an inch of poke from what I have now. I thought the recommended tire on the PP1 19x8.5's was 255/40R19. But I'm seeing now that the recommended max is 245. Any feedback on this?

I just want what is going to give me the best performance / longevity. Probably going with the Conti DWS06. Southern Indiana doesn't get a ton of snowfall and it's rare that you'll get caught in anything over an inch or two of accumulation. I'll be dealing with way more cold dry pavement than anything, and am more concerned with rapidly wearing Winter tread on the unseasonably warm days we'll get, than needing max snow and ice traction Winter sets provide. If it's really bad out out, I'll snag the wife's Murano.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably picking up a set of AM PP1 Replica 19x8.5's for my late fall to early spring setup. Currently running 275/35R20 on my Roush forged wheels which are 9.5" wide. I'm trying to avoid spacers and don't care really if I lose an inch of poke from what I have now. I thought the recommended tire on the PP1 19x8.5's was 255/40R19. But I'm seeing now that the recommended max is 245. Any feedback on this?
The standard PP1 wheels are 19x9 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back. Standard PP1 tire setup is 255/40-19 in the front and 275/40-19 in the back.

For what it's worth, a square 245/45-19 setup will go on the 18.5" wheels and the rear diameter is about as dead-on to the stock PP1 setup as you can get. Just put my winter set of those on yesterday using 19x9 FP Boss 302 wheels.
1606650492264.png

Last edited:

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
The standard PP1 wheels are 19x9 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back. Standard PP1 tire setup is 255/40-19 in the front and 275/40-19 in the back.

For what it's worth, a square 245/45-19 setup will go on the 18.5" wheels and the rear diameter is about as dead-on to the stock PP1 setup as you can get. Just put my winter set of those on yesterday using 19x9 FP Boss 302 wheels.
1606650492264.png
Thanks for the reply. But the AM replica's I'm looking at are only the design of the PP1s. With all 4 as a 19x8.5 square setup. So I need the best width for 8.5. Am I correct that it is 245? Then if I go from a 20" wheel with a 35, to a 19" wheel with a 40 it should be the same size tire edge to tire edge right? Just with an inch more sidewall than I'm running now correct?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/performance-pack-black-19x85-2015.html

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. But the AM replica's I'm looking at are only the design of the PP1s. With all 4 as a 19x8.5 square setup. So I need the best width for 8.5. Am I correct that it is 245? Then if I go from a 20" wheel with a 35, to a 19" wheel with a 40 it should be the same size tire edge to tire edge right? Just with an inch more sidewall than I'm running now correct?
The overall diameter difference between a 275/35-20 and a 245/45-19 is only 0.1", essentially the same (assuming same brand and model). Either tire is effectively the same as the stock rear tire diameter, so the speedometer should be fine.

The sidewall height of the 245/45-19 will be 0.5" taller, as the 1" difference between the two wheel sizes will be split across both sides of the tire.

Only thing I would wonder about is the offset of the 8.5" wheels versus the 9", but I would assume AM would know the right value for that. Max tire size for the wheel may vary, so I'd check the Conti page for that.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

1606650492264.png
What was your total cost on all of this, if you don't mind me asking?
It's time for me to do this with my Bullitt, it's at a dealer now so I'm too late before the first OH snow comes tonight... 😕

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was your total cost on all of this, if you don't mind me asking?
It's time for me to do this with my Bullitt, it's at a dealer now so I'm too late before the first OH snow comes tonight... 😕
$2,394.75 all-in (tires/wheels/TPMS/mounted/tax/shipped) from Tire Rack last year.

About $1080 of that was the Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels @ $270 each. The AM wheels mentioned a few posts above are about $100 each less expensive (saving $400 or so), but you would then need to add back $100 to get everything mounted up once you have it, so you could figure $2100 or so all-in if you used the same tires as me.

The Pilot Alpin 5 tires are also pricey and are a performance winter instead of a true snow/ice tire. If you're going to DD it and are looking at driving in real winter conditions (which is when I use my 4x4 truck), I would go with a true winter tire like a Blizzak WS, which are $60 less each. That type of setup with the AM wheels above would be comfortably under $1900 and would go in any / all conditions, but the true winters are squishy and far less fun on dry days.

Tire Rack's system didn't recognize the square / undersized setup as valid (they wanted to go with an OEM staggered setup in the wider sizes), so I had to give it a manual approval to go forward after a telephone call. That's one of the reason I went with the FP wheels - I knew that the offset would be good for any corner of the car.

It's pricey, but it's a one-time shot for all but the tires (and I'll get multiple winters out of them). Having the winter tires on their own wheels lets me do the swap myself in the driveway, so there's no cost for mounting / balancing tires onto the summer wheels twice a year ($100 in the spring and $100 again in the fall), and the tire shop loses out on a chance to muckle up the rims during the mounting.

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
$2,394.75 all-in (tires/wheels/TPMS/mounted/tax/shipped) from Tire Rack last year.

About $1080 of that was the Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels @ $270 each. The AM wheels mentioned a few posts above are about $100 each less expensive (saving $400 or so), but you would then need to add back $100 to get everything mounted up once you have it, so you could figure $2100 or so all-in if you used the same tires as me.

The Pilot Alpin 5 tires are also pricey and are a performance winter instead of a true snow/ice tire. If you're going to DD it and are looking at driving in real winter conditions (which is when I use my 4x4 truck), I would go with a true winter tire like a Blizzak WS, which are $60 less each. That type of setup with the AM wheels above would be comfortably under $1900 and would go in any / all conditions, but the true winters are squishy and far less fun on dry days.

Tire Rack's system didn't recognize the square / undersized setup as valid (they wanted to go with an OEM staggered setup in the wider sizes), so I had to give it a manual approval to go forward after a telephone call. That's one of the reason I went with the FP wheels - I knew that the offset would be good for any corner of the car.

It's pricey, but it's a one-time shot for all but the tires (and I'll get multiple winters out of them). Having the winter tires on their own wheels lets me do the swap myself in the driveway, so there's no cost for mounting / balancing tires onto the summer wheels twice a year ($100 in the spring and $100 again in the fall), and the tire shop loses out on a chance to muckle up the rims during the mounting.
Those are all very valid points. The daily driving ability (without having the putz around at low speeds) to me is #1 priority, as this is my daily driver, I don't have a 4x4.
The mounting in my driveway is also important, so a comprehensive package from Tire rack is needed. I'm glad they still do it, you just need to give them approval.
They did the same for me, wanted to force me to staggered and they recently discontinued normal Sottozeros and wanted me to buy a runflat at like $400/pop. Yuck.

Not giving a shop a chance to scuff the rims is a great valid point I didn't even think of!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are all very valid points. The daily driving ability (without having the putz around at low speeds) to me is #1 priority, as this is my daily driver, I don't have a 4x4.
I didn't get the truck until 2017. From 2007 through then, I ran my DD cars (Passat and 2 BMWs [admittedly all AWD]) on Blizzak WS tires every winter. Thought about going to Michelin XIce, but the Blizzak WS were so good that I didn't want to mess with success. That being said, I always looked forward to spring when I could put my regulars tires back on and get a lot of the fun back.

IMG_3630.jpg

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

So I've spent essentially last 2 days on Tirerack all day.
Now it doesn't even show anything available for the Bullitt staggered.

I looked up 255/40R19 after your suggestion. It shows decent amount of options, is just tiny bit smaller on the back. Will probably go with Sotozzeros 3, very recommended.
What baffled me tho were the rims. Keep getting confused by offset. Customer help suggested 35mm offset at most, 40 questionable and 45mm might not fit.

Some sort of bug in their system shows me wheels 8" wide, when the tire combo asks for 8.5"-10".

Do you know what offset you got, or what's the max/min?
Sponsored