Sponsored

Winter tires

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
So, I've been thinking about getting a set of winter tires / wheels for my new Mustang, just to be on the safe side. But the expense seems just ridiculous. Pricing out a set of the cheapest Pirelli winter tires I could find that would fit, plus a cheap set of wheels to keep them on, it comes out to like $2500 before tax. Am I missing something, or would a set of winter tires and wheels to keep them on really cost that much?
Sponsored

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
getting the ecoboost PP, probably what I'm going to do is swap winter tires onto the stock gloss black rims, as I'm not a huge fan. that will give me ample time to find some rims I like to put the summers back on.
but 2500 seems a bit much but not really obscene. $200 a tire sounds about right, and I would think you could find a cheap winter rim for 200-250/each, less if you get a steelie.
I think what you need to do is try some more common tire sizes that would fit. There's no need to limit yourself away from 18 inch rims either, since there are at least the stockers that fit the non-PP GT's. cheaper rims and larger tire selection.
But without Ford releasing offsets and whatnot, it's not really something you can do ahead of time, assuming your the first person to get your car.

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Fastback, Manual, PP, DIB
I'm in the same boat. I ordered the GT Premium with PP, and I'll need winter tires right away. I'm hoping I'll be able to purchase a set of 18" rims and winter tires that will fit over the Brembos, but I guess I won't know for sure until right around the same time I get my car. If you go to the Tire Rack site, they currently only offer stock-sized options for 2015 Mustang GT PP wheels and tires. And yes, the offset 19" winter tires are pricey - about the same as you would pay for a set of cheap 18" wheels and tires. I plan on calling Tire Rack and a few other places when I get closer to my delivery date to see if there is something else that will work. They don't have to be pretty, just grippy. In the end though, I suppose there are worse problems to have than needing a second set of tires because the ones that come with your brand-new Mustang GT are optimized for summer performance. :)

RoryTate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I've been also looking a the Ecoboost PP, and dreading the winter tire prices. I prefer the X-ice Xi3.

However.

Ecoboost PP tire size: 255/40R19
GT (base) tire size: 235/50R18

If the Ecoboost PP brakes are indeed the base GT brakes, then the base GT rims (and tires) will fit.

Using a tire size calculator, using the EBPP tire size as the reference:

255/40R19 62.14 mph 100.00 kph 0% variance
235/50R18 62.64 mph 100.82 kph 0.82% variance
225/50R18 61.74 mph 99.36 kph -0.64% variance

TireRack is showing me:
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 at $199/ea in 225/50R18
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 at $222/ea in 235/50R18
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II at $262 in 255/40R19

(no X-Ice in the default Ecoboost PP size, I selected the mid range choice of the returned results)

One could purchase the 225/50R18 winter tires and have a slightly slower actual speed as compared to what your spedo is telling you (99.36 instead of 100kph). These tires would give slightly better snow performance/gas mileage than the 235s, and be slightly cheaper to buy. Win/win/win.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Looking to get Winter tires with Black Steel Wheels for my Ecoboost with PP package. Can anyone recommend a steel wheel size? Can 16 or 17 fit or go with 18? Thanks

Sponsored

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just chatted with a guy from Tire Rack. I asked when they might list alternative wheel sizes for the 2015 Mustangs. I'm hoping to get a set of 18" wheels and winter tires to fit on my GT with Performance Pack. The Tire Rack guy said he thinks that will be possible, but he can't say for sure until they get a new Mustang in for one of their engineers to measure. He said they're usually able to borrow one from a local Ford dealer within a week or so of launch. Those 19" offset winter tires are pricey (about $1,300) and it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to switch wheels than tires back n forth every season, so here's hoping :thumbsup:

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Assuming the 15" Brembos fit inside the wheel. Some of the racing wheels clear with spacers but 18" wheel is pretty tight to the caliper.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Another option is to go with 20's because that has become a popular size so there are more choices.

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another option is to go with 20's because that has become a popular size so there are more choices.
True, but try to find 20" snow tires. Tire rack shows 18s that fit the gt500, so I'm hoping they'll have some that fit the performance pack. Only time will tell for sure.

Sponsored

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Getting 255/35/19 blizzacks on all 4 corners for 1k installed. Should last around 4 winters. Sound investment to me.

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Getting 255/35/19 blizzacks on all 4 corners for 1k installed. Should last around 4 winters. Sound investment to me.
Where are you getting that done? Someplace on Long Island? Because I would love to do the same, and I've been getting prices almost triple that.

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Where are you getting that done? Someplace on Long Island? Because I would love to do the same, and I've been getting prices almost triple that.
Tire rack has the tires for 250ish each. My buddy works at smithtown toyota and will mount balance and swap the wheels for free.

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Tire rack has the tires for 250ish each. My buddy works at smithtown toyota and will mount balance and swap the wheels for free.
Oh, but you're not getting wheels, then. Ok; I guess that would explain the difference. I priced out a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero's at 255/40R19 for $1050 plus tax, but then four 19x8.5 wheels to put them on would run another $1300 or so, plus mounting.

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see the point in getting different wheels when I can find tires that fit and I'm gonna buy aftermarket ones anyway. If that's how you wanna go though that's up to you.
Sponsored