Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Hey guys, new to Austin and Texas in general.

I have a question about winter tires. Now, I've never experienced a winter below 40 degrees, and i don't know what to expect here. Does the temps in the central texas area get down to the point where i would need winter tires? I have the EcoBoost with the Performance Package with the Pirelli summer tires.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
in austin? No. you should be fine. Now I know texas may get a random ice storm every 3-4 years. If that happens, you will not be going anywhere.

I drove my p-zeros at temps in the 0-10 degree range this year for days if not weeks at a time. No cracking. Just hand to be carefull with the limited amount of grip. In texas, it may get below 40 for a day or two at a time at most.

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never owned a winter set of tires.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, winter tires are not needed, however common sense IS required.

It very rarely snows/ices, and if it does it is all usually melted by noon. If it is snowing or icing, better to not risk driving on summer tires. I've already wrecked one sports car in Austin due to driving in a once-every-three-year snowstorm. Sad thing is I'm pretty good at driving in winter conditions, but ice is ice.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
As others have stated, we'll get the occasional freezing rain, light snow storm.
Just remember many people in the area have zero clue on how to drive on snow/ice. Last ice storm caused over 200 accidents in one day in the area.
I personally witnessed 3 just driving home from work.
So stay off the roads if at all possible on those rare frosty days.
Usually only 1 to 2 per year.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I run NT01 track and MPSS street for 9 months a year and keep stock wheels with michelin AS3 for running cold n wet months or cold track days.
If you run all seasons into the summer the heat cycling stiffens the compound. Found stock pirellis must be two compounds as they got way stiffer after hard driving and into summer. Now they are hard as rock in cold rain. Not so good.
Michelin AS3 previous gen ( perfect for texas winter) are*edit:were* on sale at tire rack!
Sponsored

Last edited: