Winter setup opinions for Quebec (canada) winter

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Hello guys, long time lurking, just registered today.

Since the S550 was announce in 2014, I fall in love with the design and waas wanting to have one badly. But things happened and I could not afford it. But now, I am planning on getting a GT 2019 next year and I am planning on everything to be ready.

One thing I cannot decide is the winter setup. I am in Quebec, so we have winters with lots of snow and I plan on using the GT daily all year long.

The 2 option for now for winter that I see are the following:

1) I will have the black package, so I could buy 19" snow tire to go on the black package wheels

2) buy 18" steel wheels, tire and tpms for the winter.

Pros and cons that I see with the 2 options:

1) pros: don't have to store second set
pros: dont have to bother with tpms.
cons: damage to mags from salt.
cons: winter driving on wider tire.
cons: more costly to buy new tire after.

2) pros: keep summer wheels clean
pros: can switch wheels myself.
pros: cheaper when buying new tire.
cons: buying ans setuping tpms each time I change the wheels

Any fellow winter driver here have an opinion on that?

Does driving on 19" inch winter tire is a good idea or it is not really a good idea since the tracking is poor?

Thanks
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hello, fellow Quebecer here.

I'd go for a 18" winter setup. Also is TPMS important for winter months? On my Subaru I run winter setup without TPMS and simply ignore the warning light. I am not sure if there is any other impact on the Mustang, but I don't see why.

If you do drive it during winter, wash it often, apply a good wax in the fall, avoid indoor parking best you can during winter months and buy a really good winter tire, don't cheap out here. I love Nokian winter tires.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've always went with a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. Mostly because of wear and tear on the wheels. Both from the salt and sand and mounting/unmounting. Another thing to consider is the cost of mounting and balancing every spring/fall. Some places do it for free if you get the winter tires from them, but if not the costs can add up.

As far as width goes if you get stuck in a storm you'll want every advantage you can get.

One thing I don't know is the availability of steel wheels for these cars. You may have to buy another cheap set of mag wheels.

Hello guys, long time lurking, just registered today.

Since the S550 was announce in 2014, I fall in love with the design and waas wanting to have one badly. But things happened and I could not afford it. But now, I am planning on getting a GT 2019 next year and I am planning on everything to be ready.

One thing I cannot decide is the winter setup. I am in Quebec, so we have winters with lots of snow and I plan on using the GT daily all year long.

The 2 option for now for winter that I see are the following:

1) I will have the black package, so I could buy 19" snow tire to go on the black package wheels

2) buy 18" steel wheels, tire and tpms for the winter.

Pros and cons that I see with the 2 options:

1) pros: don't have to store second set
pros: dont have to bother with tpms.
cons: damage to mags from salt.
cons: winter driving on wider tire.
cons: more costly to buy new tire after.

2) pros: keep summer wheels clean
pros: can switch wheels myself.
pros: cheaper when buying new tire.
cons: buying ans setuping tpms each time I change the wheels

Any fellow winter driver here have an opinion on that?

Does driving on 19" inch winter tire is a good idea or it is not really a good idea since the tracking is poor?

Thanks

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering about the tpms requirements. I don't have tpms on my van and I don't care about the light being on. If I can get a confirmation that I can drive all winter without them, then I will skip them.

As for tire, I am checking for either Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2 or Michelin - X-ice Xi3.

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
I have check and there is indeed 18" steel wheels available. They cost 80$ each.

And yes, I would be saving like 100$ a year by changing the wheel myself and tire would be cheaper to replace.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
So the question now is, can anybody tell me if I can run the mustang all winter without tpms without problem?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Ok thanks. I guess I'll skip the tpms then.

Another question if I may, in case I decide to go PP, anybody knows of some cheap 18" mags/wheels that fit over the brembo?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks. I guess I'll skip the tpms then.

Another question if I may, in case I decide to go PP, anybody knows of some cheap 18" mags/wheels that fit over the brembo?
I am 99% sure that an 18" wheel won't clear it. A lot of 19's won't as a matter of fact.

OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks. That's what I though.

Another question. Anyone knows what are the tires that comes with the 2018 black accent package?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Any opinions on running 19" tire in ice and snow? Is it good, not a good idea, or not much difference from running 18"?

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I rock Nokian Hakka R2s for the last 2 winters on stock 19" black accent package wheels.

WORTH EVERY PENNY especially in North Dakota winters and being about 2 hours south of Winnipeg.

Nokians or WALK as far as im concerned

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am 99% sure that an 18" wheel won't clear it. A lot of 19's won't as a matter of fact.
Quite a few of them fit actually, but they're not cheap. In the range of 3-400 per wheel.

19s can be had for 1-200 per wheel which is much more reasonable.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a few of them fit actually, but they're not cheap. In the range of 3-400 per wheel.
Well shit at 300-400 per wheel that's still a no in my book for winter wheels.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Id say go with a second set. If you do get the PP youll have to look out for clearance with the brembo's. Definitely won't be able to fit an 18" wheel. I have 19" wheels for my winter setup (20" foundrys normally), and they work great. I use the Pirelli Sottozero 3's and feel confident driving in the snow and ice we get here. Also, the TPMS will auto detect on these cars so its nothing to worry about (as in, when I switch from my summer to winter set, the car knows immediately within a few miles), I'd get them so you can monitor your pressure which is critical in the winter.
Sponsored