Sponsored

Winter is here. Ecoboost Owners-Get a catch-can now!

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
So I moved to Kaiserslautern for work in October this year. Now I only live less than a mile from work which is walking distance but the weather has been absolute shit lately (cold,rainy and windy) and if i want anything other than fast food, I need the car, anyways lots of short trips where it barely gets to operating temp.

I put my Mishimoto can on early October with about 5000 kms (3000 miles) on the car during my first oil change.I checked it mid November while the weather was nice and it had a drop of oil in it. no big deal I thought. So I have done a few long road trips now but lots and lots of short trips in cold shitty weather and am almost at 12000 kms (~7400miles) Checked my catch can today after work.

It was about a third full of noxious brownish watery oil with almost sand looking grit in it.

It's not a large amount as the can is quite small (I poured it in a .5L coke bottle for a true sense of scale) but it is something I am really glad is not coating my intake manifold or the backs of my valves.

My research into LSPI today has turned up a theory that oil vapor may be at least partially to blame for the phenomenon which is what motivated me to see how much Oil I had been catching.

I want to thank Mishimoto for such a well designed and effective product as well as Adam for convincing me to get one. I was a bit shocked at the price at first but now think it was worth every single penny!
20160106_171427.jpg
20160106_171857.jpg
Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
So I moved to Kaiserslautern for work in October this year. Now I only live less than a mile from work which is walking distance but the weather has been absolute shit lately (cold,rainy and windy) and if i want anything other than fast food, I need the car, anyways lots of short trips where it barely gets to operating temp.

I put my Mishimoto can on early October with about 5000 kms (3000 miles) on the car during my first oil change.I checked it mid November while the weather was nice and it had a drop of oil in it. no big deal I thought. So I have done a few long road trips now but lots and lots of short trips in cold shitty weather and am almost at 12000 kms (~7400miles) Checked my catch can today after work.

It was about a third full of noxious brownish watery oil with almost sand looking grit in it.

It's not a large amount as the can is quite small (I poured it in a .5L coke bottle for a true sense of scale) but it is something I am really glad is not coating my intake manifold or the backs of my valves.

My research into LSPI today has turned up a theory that oil vapor may be at least partially to blame for the phenomenon which is what motivated me to see how much Oil I had been catching.

I want to thank Mishimoto for such a well designed and effective product as well as Adam for convincing me to get one. I was a bit shocked at the price at first but now think it was worth every single penny!
Thanks for the feedback Glenn! We saw a bit more accumulation during our tests but that is related to numerous variables. Looks like the catch can setup is certainly doing its job.

Enjoy!
-John

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I need to get one then.

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
Thanks for the feedback Glenn! We saw a bit more accumulation during our tests but that is related to numerous variables. Looks like the catch can setup is certainly doing its job.

Enjoy!
-John
DO you have them in Stock? Are there any warranty issues with installing one?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic

Sponsored

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost

Enjoy!
-John
Could you make the tank for the mishimoto a little taller for a safety percausion

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So for those of us who would need any warranty service by Ford / does any CC have to be removed prior to service - or will the Tech overlook a CC as no concern?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
What makes it so much better? I am sorry new to the whole catch can thing.
Has built in check valve so you can gut the factory PCV which has been the cause of smoking on most Ecoboost Mustangs. It also has nice quick disconnect fittings, easy drain, and has a 3rd connection to vacuum assist the vapors and crank case pressure into the catch can.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
So for those of us who would need any warranty service by Ford / does any CC have to be removed prior to service - or will the Tech overlook a CC as no concern?
Depends on the dealership and tech. It isn't a "performance modification" to most mechanics (even though it technically is).

Sponsored

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
THis is only needed on the passenger side correct? Just one will do the trick?

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
wont that crap just burn off during normal driving?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
wont that crap just burn off during normal driving?
Yes, but that isn't what you WANT as it dilutes the fuel. It can drop your octane up to 5 points if it is bad.

Here are the reasons for a catch can.

1. To catch the oil vapors from entering your charge system and going through your engine as outlined above.

2. To relieve crank case pressure which can cause smoking out of the exhaust. The factory breather system doesn't allow for much venting for crankcase pressure.

3. The oil that is cause can also cause build up on the back of your intake valves which will give you problems later on in life.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
THis is only needed on the passenger side correct? Just one will do the trick?
Drivers side is the "Dirty" side where it's needed, passenger side is the "clean" side. I believe Mishimoto reported catching nothing there on their R&D thread so decided it wasn't worth making one.

I love the small size and OEM quality and look of the Mishimoto can, no one notices it unless I point it out.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Yes, but that isn't what you WANT as it dilutes the fuel. It can drop your octane up to 5 points if it is bad.

Here are the reasons for a catch can.

1. To catch the oil vapors from entering your charge system and going through your engine as outlined above.

2. To relieve crank case pressure which can cause smoking out of the exhaust. The factory breather system doesn't allow for much venting for crankcase pressure.

3. The oil that is cause can also cause build up on the back of your intake valves which will give you problems later on in life.

thankfully my car doesn't and has never had the smoke issue even after long idles, in my case do you think its still necessary to gut the PCV after a catch can install?
Sponsored