Sponsored

Window Tint ?

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Am getting my windows done here real soon. How in the word does a tinter get that back window done since its at such a shallow angle with the rear sill? I just dont see how they do it...Im in TN so I know...to be legal...i have to get 35%...but I MAY go ahead and get 20. The town I live in (Bartlett - Suburb of Memphis) is pretty strict on tint...or maybe thy are strict on tint on nicer cars...who knows....LOL
Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Tint shops employ leprechauns to get back there specifically on Mustangs, which are obviously the only car ever made with a steep rear window and long rear deck. I mean Audi has never made anything like that, er... wait VW CCs never get tinted...hmm... yeah leprechauns for sure.

Just make sure there isn't a thunderstorm nearby or the leps will all be out of the office protecting those pots of gold. IN this case, the tint shop is forced to disassemble the entire vehicle and tint the windows while outside of the car.

I promise you that your vehicle is the only one this tint shop has ever seen with a steep rear window, so be prepared! Good luck!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My tinter said it's actually pretty easy as the rear deck is flat. He said the worse are Hondas because the speakers.
I have 20% front and back. The front is below legal limit of 35% but most cops don't give a crap.
IMG_1562.jpg

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
We had our front windshield tinted for SEMA, and I've done over 10,000 road trip miles with it this year. Haven't had any issues with it yet (knocks on wood).

If you do 35% all around, you should be totally fine. That's the legal maximum

Nick C.

OP
OP
S550ilver

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can probably get away with 20 all around...more than likely. My previous bagged dually had 5 all around on it, and I never got any flack from Johnny law...

Sponsored

OP
OP
S550ilver

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Tint shops employ leprechauns to get back there specifically on Mustangs, which are obviously the only car ever made with a steep rear window and long rear deck. I mean Audi has never made anything like that, er... wait VW CCs never get tinted...hmm... yeah leprechauns for sure.

Just make sure there isn't a thunderstorm nearby or the leps will all be out of the office protecting those pots of gold. IN this case, the tint shop is forced to disassemble the entire vehicle and tint the windows while outside of the car.

I promise you that your vehicle is the only one this tint shop has ever seen with a steep rear window, so be prepared! Good luck!
Spoken like true smartA@@...:)

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
I've never seen anyone do it but my guess is.. (I use to install trailer vinyl signs)

it's pre cut from their fancy vinyl cutter, a mixture of soapy water or some type of lube. spray it, shimmy it around, it'll float on the lube pretty freely and slide it into place. Squiggy out the water n bubbles done. they reason why most shops make you wait so long is for it to dry more from the mess they probably made with water all over the place. lol

as far at %, most states don't care about the back, go 5%, you got a back up camera! the sides 20-25% and if you get in trouble peel it off or pay the ticket. The trick is don't be a d$ck and respect the cops, always drop the windows and put hands on the wheel if you get pulled over.

OP
OP
S550ilver

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yea my guy has a mobile service....he has done several vehicles here at my work, he does the min our warehouse (its air conditioned so he loves that). I think he cuts his template on the outside of the window, then transfers that inside, unless he has a plotter in his work van and cuts them like that, but I doubt it.

And my next door neighbor is a cop for the town i live in, I know several of them, plus where I work can help me with any pulling over (I work at Hypertech and we tune most if not all of law enforcements personal vehicles locally, so i can name throw that and would probably get me out of it.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
My tinter said it's actually pretty easy as the rear deck is flat. He said the worse are Hondas because the speakers.
I have 20% front and back. The front is below legal limit of 35% but most cops don't give a crap.
I love your car! It's the second best looking one on here:D

I went 35% front and back. I drive through Ohio and Michigan too often.
GTCS.jpg

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
35% looks much darker outside the car looking in, hen it does inside the car looking out.

I have 35% and have zero issues with it.

Sponsored

G-Rell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
35% for me on sides....
15-20% on back window

fits KS laws! (had to have 20% peeled on previous car, not worth it)

isoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Go with 20% that is the perfect tint. I currently have 25, gf has 20. Wish I would have went lower but I pass that lesson on to others lol

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I went 5% back and quarter windows and 35% up front on driver and passenger. I should've just said fuck it and went 5% or 15% since I initially wanted to go 20% but it wasn't in stock. 35 looks fucking terrible. Oh and I almost forgot, fuck you California

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Am getting my windows done here real soon. How in the word does a tinter get that back window done since its at such a shallow angle with the rear sill? I just dont see how they do it...Im in TN so I know...to be legal...i have to get 35%...but I MAY go ahead and get 20. The town I live in (Bartlett - Suburb of Memphis) is pretty strict on tint...or maybe thy are strict on tint on nicer cars...who knows....LOL
I got 30 up front, even though NY law is really strict. If you get pulled over, put both windows down, put your hands on the door, don't be a dick, and they'll probably not bother you. It's supposedly about "officer safety" but in reality it's an excuse for them to pull a certain subset of drivers over so they can "look" for other, more serious infractions. I really doubt an officer is going to ticket you for it unless you were driving dumb or doing something else to draw their ire.

Somebody mentioned it elsewhere (can't remember if it was 6g or not), but they actually put the backseats down and the tint guy went in through the trunk on his back and was able to sit on the back of the seats and perfect height to do the tint work. Guy who did mine just went in the normal way, he'd done a number of newer-model 'stangs already so he knew the deal.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I've never seen anyone do it but my guess is.. (I use to install trailer vinyl signs)

it's pre cut from their fancy vinyl cutter, a mixture of soapy water or some type of lube. spray it, shimmy it around, it'll float on the lube pretty freely and slide it into place. Squiggy out the water n bubbles done. they reason why most shops make you wait so long is for it to dry more from the mess they probably made with water all over the place. lol

as far at %, most states don't care about the back, go 5%, you got a back up camera! the sides 20-25% and if you get in trouble peel it off or pay the ticket. The trick is don't be a d$ck and respect the cops, always drop the windows and put hands on the wheel if you get pulled over.
you are kinda close.... i have been tinting since 1998... i dont use a plotter... i cut it by hand that way i know its right.... the back window is trimmed about an 1/8 bigger than the blackout surrounding it... then its shrunk with a heat gun to fit the curve of the window.... climbing in the back seat does suck for us tall people... we have special tools that can reach way back to get the bubbles out... a buddy and i tinted my car including the windshield in under an hour.
Sponsored