Sponsored

Wind noise passenger mirror area. New 17

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I just bought a brand new 2017With 80 miles on it. I have since put about another 300 on it and every now and then to at speeds above 60 I get what sounds like a windshear or something rattling for the right mirror area. I checked the tightness on the window but it appears to hug the molding really well I’ve also checked for any loose molding around the door trim as well as the front a pillar where it meets the hood nothing seems to be loose looking for some suggestions I know there are issues on the earlier models regarding window sealant as well as the molding around the doors but all that appears to be OK on mine

I’ve doen some searching but still looking for ideas
Sponsored

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
I've had a similar issue with my '17 GTPP, mine seemed to be coming from the fuse panel door which is located in the passenger foot well. It connects to the lower trim with a slotted connection that has the ability to rattle. I removed mine yesterday and couldn't hear the sound any longer...so far so good. I'm going to try adding it back and removing again during the next drive to see if I can prove out my theory. If it's correct then some felt tape between the panel sections should help.

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I read that from your post. Frustrating. Can’t be too mad. I got a steal on a new car

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Mine sounded like it was coming from outside or higher on the door as well when listening from the driver seat. During a recent drive I had my wife try and track the sound when she was sitting in the passenger seat. She said it was coming from the glove box area vs the door...which eventually got me to the fuse panel below the glove box.

Mine seemed to be speed related as well and did it from new. The only thing I can think is that 60mph seems to be a magical speed at which vibrations can manifest themselves, whether in the wheels or in the body itself. The rattle didn't happen when going over bumps, it was generated by high speed vibrations - so based on a small movement in the panels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Here’s a video someone suggested checking the inside panel to the right of the rear passenger just underneath the window

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
That's the exact same rattle and location as mine. I took apart the rear panel (behind the passenger seat) following a video that was posted on youtube as well as another thread here that discusses a vibration coming from the rear seat area. There are a few large chunks of foam that squeak quite loudly when moved, so I taped those and shimmed them to reduce the potential for noise. I also put foam tape between the plastic window trim and the surrounding metal parts...but I still had the rattle.

When I removed the fuse panel door on the passenger foot well I also did the following:

- several of the larger plastic connectors have been mounted to metal or plastic surfaces using small plastic harness or pin type connectors to try and keep them in place. Those connectors however allow for a bit of play if the connector is jiggled. I decided to placed foam tape between the connectors and the mounting surface to remove the play.

- I then also placed foam tape between the connectors and the interior trim pieces to eliminate the risk of the trim vibrating against the connectors.

- Last but not least, I also found a large plastic connector located behind the glove box which also had the potential to rattle against another plastic surface.

Since adding the foam tape and removing the panel door I haven't heard the rattle noise when hitting 60mph. On my drive to work today everything was quiet. On my drive home this evening I'm going to re-install the fuse door and see if the sound comes back and will provide an update. If the rattle comes back then it's a very easy fix...if it doesn't then the likely solution was the foam tape around a few of the connectors.

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Let me no I just spent an hour and a half this morning taping of everything on that right quarter panel as well LOL. So you’re telling me that you pretty much just foam tape everything down by the fuse panel and one large connector behind the glove box

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Yep, look for anything around the fuse area that could contact plastic on metal or plastic on plastic and put foam tape or something that can absorb the contact. As I noted, there was only one large connector that I noticed when looking behind the glove box area that seemed to have a risk of contact and did that one as well.

I really do think it's the fuse panel door that's causing the issue, the slotted plastic design allows for more than one direction of movement and it fits against the body basically on the inside of the front wheel well so it's subject to vibration at the magic 60mph mark.

Sponsored

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Bad news, still have the rattle after all. Might have to open the door this weekend and have a look.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Alright, I think I finally found the source (knock on wood)! I removed the passenger door panel, and aside from truly hating whomever designed the panel behind the door handle that hides the top bolt, here are the issues I found and addressed:

- the vapour barrier has several pieces that extend well beyond the bonding material. I don't think it's what was making the rattle, but taped them down regardless.

- the back of the small panel that needs to be removed to access the top bolt (ie. behind the handle), has an orange plastic clip that rattles pretty easily when you touch it. I placed a layer of electrical tape between the orange clip and it's mount. This removed the ability to rattle...again, don't think that was the main source.

- here's what I think are the main culprits, once you remove the door panel there are large 4 white pins...not clips, but pins that help keep in door trim panel in place. There are two at the front (one above the other) and two towards the back of the door (one above the other). These pins stay with the interior door panel trim when you remove it from the metal door. The front 2 pins are right about where the side of the dash meets the door panel, so the location is right. Ford clearly thought about the risk of vibes between these plastic pins and the interior of the door itself (metal), because the face of the pin that mates up against the metal, once the panel is mounted, has a rubber ring around the plastic. However, where these pins sit within the plastic door panel (ie where the base of these pins exist), is all plastic on plastic. The pins can be removed by pressing down on a small tab near the base surrounding them. For some reason only 1 of the 4 were solid in their base, the other three could be moved in all directions quite easily, producing a plastic on plastic rattle. It's like the pins are too small for the base, or the base is too large...but they can't fall out, they just rattle around. The front 2 were by far the worst, so I taped around the base with foam backed tape that restricted their movement.

I went for a good drive on the highway, varied the speed between 60-80mph and couldn't hear the rattle at all. Did multiple passes in different directions and all is quiet for now. The location of those front 2 pins certainly could make the rattle appear to be coming from the dash and the door at the same time, and pushing on the door panel won't quiet it because they're rattling in their base, not in the mating surface between the panel and door. The fact these were so loose compared to the rear pins makes me think this might actually have been the problem!

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Popped the hood today and found the battery cover not tight with 2 push pins loose in it. How hard was the door to pull out
Sponsored