Win/Loss ratio for 2018/2019/2020 on Whipple

imxz28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 2021 Tacoma Sport
Been searching and see lots of broken ring lands and the likes and also see lots of cars with zero troubles but is there any way of knowing how the success vs. failure ratio stack up?

I don't even want to take a stab at a guess but if you held a knife to my throat and made me guess, I'd probably say somewhere between 10% to 20% forced induction late models are breaking pistons.
Is this a fair assessment?
Sponsored

Bluemax189

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt A10 base
Mine broke but had issues on Lund e85 tune and intake only. The Whipple didn’t have much to do with it except blowing faster lol.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
The best advise I could give you is make sure your motor is at normal operating temp before you start hammering on your motor.I have a 2017 mustang gt with a WHIPPLE Stage 2 and is the best mod I ever did.

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
2019 #8 piston oil scraper busted whipple tune 3.75 pulley

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
2018, 8K miles boosted, Whipple tune w/3.75 pulley and boostane. Motor had no issues when I got cut off, flew into a field and totaled the car.... I would not hesitate to do the Whipple again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
imxz28

imxz28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
All the same, I’m going to start setting aside an extra $10k so I can be ready to install a short block with decent pistons. Hypereutectic pistons like to fail around 600+rwhp.
Has anyone ever installed a pulley 4.25 or the likes? Does Whipple make one?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No piston will survive detonation for long. 12:1 and lots of boost is unforgiving.

I have not seen many reports of a centrifugal in the 8 - 9 pound boost ranging breaking motors like the PD blowers "seem" to do. And I'm not knocking PD blowers.

Could be there are more PD's being used compared to turbo or centrifugal set ups in the Mustang.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Based on the research I have done, I would not be comfortable with the tune that Whipple provides. I think a custom tune from one of the respected tuners will provide better drivability and safety. I would also not increase the shift point RPM over stock settings. I would want to use 93 octane fuel for daily driving and I would add some boostane or some race fuel for drag strip use.

OP
OP
imxz28

imxz28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
I think you could be onto something here. Detonation is most likely to occur at peak torque. I wonder if PD with having all the torque so low and liner has everything to do with it.

I ordered the Whipple before researching much and the next day canceled my order after seeing so many broken pistons across the country.

Further consideration has me thinking of twin turbos which have zero parasitic power loss, I could run 5 or 6 psi and perform similar to PD or centrifugal air compressors. All the power would go to the wheels and none wasted on compressing air. I have heard they leach almost 100bhp at peak rpm. That's a ton of energy loss that could be to the wheels.

PS. I may be new here but carry 20 years of credibility at Corvette Forum and before that 5 years at the F-Body Forum. I've had multiple blown late models over there pushing 800hp. Just saying.
BTW, with that said, I'd like to say it seems like the Ford guys/girls are much more harmonious. I don't see to many friends and family beating each other up for post one's thoughts. Over there we'd call it putting on the flame suit because if you say the wrong thing, you will be flamed to death and then some... LOL

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I personally have ruled out Whipple even though my installer likes them and they are very popular with the local Mustang crowd.

I am going with a TVS system like Edelbrock or VMP. I think they operate more smoothly and put less stress on the crankshaft than the Whipple as well as take less power to turn at the same boost level. Ford uses the TVS system on the GT500 and Roush and Shelby use it on their supercharged vehicles.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I personally have ruled out Whipple even though my installer likes them and they are very popular with the local Mustang crowd.

I am going with a TVS system like Edelbrock or VMP. I think they operate more smoothly and put less stress on the crankshaft than the Whipple as well as take less power to turn at the same boost level. Ford uses the TVS system on the GT500 and Roush and Shelby use it on their supercharged vehicles.
I think I'm still going Whipple despite my worries about reliability, but honestly I don't know if that's just my impression from a few people who have had bad experiences or if it's reality; I also don't know if there's any difference in rates of dead FI engines between the Coyote gen 2 and gen3. I wish we had more of a real-life survey of owners of various kits and how their reliability has been, although it probably varies all over the place because people tune them very differently. Do you know that the TS blowers put more stress on the crank than a TVS? Did someone at Ford say that was one reason they went TVS? If so that would be pretty convincing.

At least you have Roush as an option...my only TVS2650 option is Edelbrock and I've "heard" (= have no idea if it's true) that their canned tune drivability is marginal, and I need to keep it that way for CARB compliance reasons.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm still going Whipple despite my worries about reliability, but honestly I don't know if that's just my impression from a few people who have had bad experiences or if it's reality; I also don't know if there's any difference in rates of dead FI engines between the Coyote gen 2 and gen3. I wish we had more of a real-life survey of owners of various kits and how their reliability has been, although it probably varies all over the place because people tune them very differently. Do you know that the TS blowers put more stress on the crank than a TVS? Did someone at Ford say that was one reason they went TVS? If so that would be pretty convincing.

At least you have Roush as an option...my only TVS2650 option is Edelbrock and I've "heard" (= have no idea if it's true) that their canned tune drivability is marginal, and I need to keep it that way for CARB compliance reasons.
I have no statistics or proof to show the TVS has less vibration or puts less stress on the crankshaft than a TS. I have heard it from several sources but cannot confirm it as fact. The companies that use TVS often point out benefits of lower NVH but that is basically their advertising. It is fact that most manufacturers use the TVS in supercharged production cars. In addition to Ford, GM uses it in the Cadillac CTS-v and Corvettes.

I still think Whipple is the gold standard for making power. If I were going for maximum HP and torque and was willing to upgrade OPG/CS and other components, I would go with Whipple. According to everything I have read and heard, their canned tune provides excellent drivability. My tech says Whipple is great to work with, too, if there is any problem. We have seen some piston ring land breakage with their tune but there is no way to know if those are freak occurrences or not.

The Edelbrock canned tune seems to have a reputation for quirky drivability. Stalling, surging, etc. has been reported but I have no first hand knowledge.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
For what it's worth, the only cars that I've seen crack crankshafts are procharged cars, and whipple installs where the balancer bolt backed out or wasn't set right to begin with. Both Chase and Justin from streetcar ran the D1x and both snapped their crankshaft snouts. IMO the reason why you see so many whipple failures is because they're the most abundant in forms of boost on 18's. The Roush blowers just straight up don't perform well and they are really set behind by not going to the bottom fed blower like the whipple and edelbrock. People get big eyes when they see "warranty" but fact of the matter is 93 octane, on forced induction, with 12:1 compression just isn't a good recipe. With one bad batch of gas and a romp down the freeway, your pistons will probably be screaming for help. A whipple car with the right tune and adequate fueling is hard to beat IMO. They make fantastic power for the street and are virtually maintenance free once you get them on.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I’m sticking E85 tune n/a with my car. Plenty of power and reliability to still enjoy the handling of a pp1 s550 chassis. Not interested in 170 mph quarter trap speeds nor the added stress of blown motor. My next supercharged car will be a lightly used hellcat widebody.

Jed S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jedidiah
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Stage 2 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 10R80 car making 700rwhp/93 and 800rwhp/e85 on a 3.85 Pulley with a stage 2 Whipple tuned by PBD with dw400 and BAP. I did research for months and drove my car 10k before supercharging. Have had no problems and my engine even ticked before placing the supercharger(I use Mobil 1 0w-40 now and got rid of it). OPG and CS upgrade is a must in my opinion. My car accidently saw 9500rpm once and no issues. These 12:1 compression cars run 100 times better on E85. I’m gonna go return style soon, be on E85 all the time and pulls down probably once more. Another big thing is I don’t have cats so the engine breathes a lot better. It’s not the supercharger system you can blame. It’s not building car correctly, getting supporting mods for the car, not maintaining the car, and not operating the car correctly that leads to failures.

Sponsored