Sponsored

Wilwood Brakes - any owners with an opinion?

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Looking for owners impressions of Wilwood brakes, particularly 6 piston big brake kits.

Thanks,
Dave

Disclaimer - I recently posted looking for opinions about two specific Wilwood kits but haven't gotten much activity, so I'm now trying a generalized approach.
Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
No experience with the Wilwood parts, but very happy with my Baer 6 piston system. Good luck!

2EB6104C-72DD-48FF-9406-FC79E326E80A.jpeg
6CF9A6BF-987B-4754-8B89-24E1FEAEA9FA.jpeg

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I have and like my Wilwood rear 4 piston brakes but I still run my stock Brembo 6 pistons up front. In regards to the rear Wilwoods, they are much better for the track but probably wouldn’t notice any difference on the street.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I had a complete Wilwood setup on my '16 Focus ST. All four corners. Absolutely loved them. Amazing performance. Just my $0.02, but they are every bit the brakes as Brembo, sans maybe some of Brembo's most extreme, out-of-reach race calipers. Would go that route again in a heartbeat.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I almost got a set of shelby wilwoods, but I was warned that they lack dust seals and not a daily driver / street brake system. ok for track yes, but not good for regular roads and all the exposure due to lack of dust boots on the Mustang application?

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I had a front set on a race car for many years. No issues at all
Frankly a brake caliper is not rocket science. Price has more to do with marketing than anything else
And I had Alcons, Brembo, etc on various cars
Yes, on a street car you want dust boots

DPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1968 Shelby GT350 Hertz,2017 Raptor,2017 Shelby GT350R,2017 Focus RS,2018 SHO,2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale
Dave,
I have the full set on my Raptor which probably is the same size as on the 500 and or the GT 350R l have. Fantastic set of brakes and talk about stopping. Holy crap theyll stop with ease. Very well made and half of what Brembos are. IMHO you cannot go wrong.
the Raptor went from an oh shit is it gonna stop to oh shit are my eyeballs gonna stay in.

Good luck.
Frank

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You can get 6 piston brembos for about 500 bucks with pads, lines and rotors

https://www.ebay.com/str/shelbyauctions

They might not have any at the moment but they have them from time to time. I paid 550 for mine.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
OP just asking, what are you chasing bigger brakes for? The limiting factors in stopping on the street are generally tyres and pads. Then add fluid and discs if you're tracking it. There's a saying that if you need to slow down so much for corners you need to work on your suspension or driving skills more.

Sponsored
OP
OP

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
OP just asking, what are you chasing bigger brakes for? The limiting factors in stopping on the street are generally tyres and pads. Then add fluid and discs if you're tracking it. There's a saying that if you need to slow down so much for corners you need to work on your suspension or driving skills more.
Hey GT 550,

Yep, I've upgraded to stickier all seasons for winter and plan on summer tires in the spring*. I've thought about pads and slotted rotors vs a full kit.

However, I have the Eco floating 2 piston, and have driven the Mustang GT OEM 4 and 6 piston versions too. I found the difference in brake modulation/control to be stark as I progress from 2 to 4 to 6. I put a lot of stock in that aspect with the type driving I do.

*But since my original post, my wife and I have put down a deposit on a C8, which likely will arrive in about August. So, my Mustang upgrades plans are kind of squishey.

OP
OP

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I almost got a set of shelby wilwoods, but I was warned that they lack dust seals and not a daily driver / street brake system. ok for track yes, but not good for regular roads and all the exposure due to lack of dust boots on the Mustang application?
Hey Mustangpursuit,

The S550 Wilwood kits can be had with dust seals. About $100 to $150 more. Apparently they are required in Australia, so Wilwood does produce them for that market. However, several Wilwood guys told me they run calipers without seals on the street with no problems, but cautioned that the pistons will corrode if your roads are treated in winter.

\Dave
Sponsored