Sponsored

Will we ever again see a Mustang on a dealer lot FS?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
LOL your argument on $19hr for entry level positions and expensive housing makes absolutely zero sense. You do understand not everyone in the US is going to be as ambitious as the next person, right? The less ambitious folks will not own homes. My more ambitious employees, move up the chain, better themselves, and have no problem owning homes in our areas.
That is why this Country is so great. Itā€™s the land of opportunity. Itā€™s not the land of guaranteed home ownership, or guaranteed anything. You get out, what you put in. You have the freedom to leave a position, if you donā€™t think it pays what youā€™re worth. My key employees, are paid very well. Which is why theyā€™ve been with me for years.
Not everyone is going to be as equal as the next, the level of laziness matters. Laziness and no ambition is why this Country will go down the gutter. Everyone wants a free ride.
There isnā€™t one company in the WA and OR networks of transportation and warehousing businesses that are not struggling to hire, I meet with them on business sharing platforms. Every single business I drive by, from TacoBell to Walmart, are clearly having hiring issues with low paying positions. My TacoBell randomly closes at 5pm due to staffing issues. That is happening ALL ACROSS Oregon and Washington, with all businesses. This has been on National news. Been under a rock?

What type of business is this that you own, where people are beating down your door to work for you?

The only businesses that would not be having labor issues, are the ones that pay significantly higher wages due to the nature of that specific industry.
Obviously, as I mentioned, I canā€™t pay a warehouse lumper what a Fing doctor makes. If you think I should be, please donā€™t reply, itā€™s not worth my time. So, since my business is mainly lower wage workers, I compete with Gov and their unemployment. Just like all other businesses that have lower income workers. You canā€™t say every single business thatā€™s having hiring issues treated their employees like shit. You need to open your eyes and understand what is really happening.
Businesses that do not have high levels of low income workers, would not be facing the challenges I do.
The type of business, matters, in regards to this discussion. And most of the labor issues you see are lower income jobs, competing with unemployment. Not sure you can wrap your head around that.
It doesnā€™t matter what you pay or what potential a position has when no one wants to work and/or you canā€™t get product to sell. Weā€™re screwed.
Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
LOL your argument on $19hr for entry level positions and expensive housing makes absolutely zero sense. You do understand not everyone in the US is going to be as ambitious as the next person, right? The less ambitious folks will not own homes. My more ambitious employees, move up the chain, better themselves, and have no problem owning homes in our areas.
That is why this Country is so great. Itā€™s the land of opportunity. Itā€™s not the land of guaranteed home ownership, or guaranteed anything. You get out, what you put in. You have the freedom to leave a position, if you donā€™t think it pays what youā€™re worth. My key employees, are paid very well. Which is why theyā€™ve been with me for years.
Not everyone is going to be as equal as the next, the level of laziness matters. Laziness and no ambition is why this Country will go down the gutter. Everyone wants a free ride.
There isnā€™t one company in the WA and OR networks of transportation and warehousing businesses that are not struggling to hire, I meet with them on business sharing platforms. Every single business I drive by, from TacoBell to Walmart, are clearly having hiring issues with low paying positions. My TacoBell randomly closes at 5pm due to staffing issues. That is happening ALL ACROSS Oregon and Washington, with all businesses. This has been on National news. Been under a rock?

What type of business is this that you own, where people are beating down your door to work for you?

The only businesses that would not be having labor issues, are the ones that pay significantly higher wages due to the nature of that specific industry.
Obviously, as I mentioned, I canā€™t pay a warehouse lumper what a Fing doctor makes. If you think I should be, please donā€™t reply, itā€™s not worth my time. So, since my business is mainly lower wage workers, I compete with Gov and their unemployment. Just like all other businesses that have lower income workers. You canā€™t say every single business thatā€™s having hiring issues treated their employees like shit. You need to open your eyes and understand what is really happening.
Businesses that do not have high levels of low income workers, would not be facing the challenges I do.
The type of business, matters, in regards to this discussion. And most of the labor issues you see are lower income jobs, competing with unemployment. Not sure you can wrap your head around that.
Thereā€™s probably a bit of leeway between $19 an hour and the ~$100 an hour an entry level physician makes šŸ˜‚

Ed: I was talking with my dad the other day; he is with a larger company based in Omaha that does a ton of light metal manufacturing. He said that they are offering $20 an hour plus benefits for basic warehouse workers/forklift operators (and they are all full-time positions, none of that 'part time' manipulation crap). So yes hiring right now is very hard. How much are you offering out of curiosity?

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Thereā€™s probably a bit of leeway between $19 an hour and the ~$100 an hour an entry level physician makes šŸ˜‚

Ed: I was talking with my dad the other day; he is with a larger company based in Omaha that does a ton of light metal manufacturing. He said that they are offering $20 an hour plus benefits for basic warehouse workers/forklift operators (and they are all full-time positions, none of that 'part time' manipulation crap). So yes hiring right now is very hard. How much are you offering out of curiosity?
LOL, correct on $19hr vs $100hr. But my argument lies upon wages being closely related to what unemployment is paying. Right now, a position that pays less than $60,000 annually will be competing with folks that can figure out the unemployment train. Once you creep over $60K, then employees will look at the Pros/Cons and determine if itā€™s worth it, in their opinion, to basically not work at all, for a little bit of a pay loss. Most folks take a small pay loss, and chose not to work at all - .GOV.
In regards to our pay, it really all depends on skill set. A warehouse lumper (unloading 10-30 lb boxes and setting on a pallet, at a pretty slow pace) is paid the lowest, compared to a forklift operator. Minimum wage is $13.50, lumpers (lowest level) would start around $16-$18, then go through a 90 day hiring process which allows them to become forklift certified (which we train) and then go from $17-$20+. These are brain-dead jobs by the way. My 13yr old daughter would run circles around most employees making $20.00hr. Itā€™s not rocket science.
Iā€™m not sure where part-time and no bennies came in. I think the previous poster mentioned that and just assumed thatā€™s how I run my business. He was wrong.
My employees are all full-time, with vacation pay, sick pay, almost all of their medical/dental/vision paidā€¦.and we pay time and a half after 40hrs a week. Weā€™re Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm, Saturdayā€™s and Sundayā€™s off. They can work as much overtime as they want.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I was paid $17/hr as summer 'help' humping boxes and furniture in/out of residences and (un)loading moving vans. In 2003/4. In West Chicago. FT Warehouse/Forklift was paid $25 or so, senior drivers about $35. OT at anything over 8hr/day. Non-union shop. We worked 7am to whenver.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
I was paid $17/hr as summer 'help' humping boxes and furniture in/out of residences and (un)loading moving vans. In 2003/4. In West Chicago. FT Warehouse/Forklift was paid $25 or so, senior drivers about $35. OT at anything over 8hr/day. Non-union shop. We worked 7am to whenver.
Chicago minimum wage in 2003 was $5.15 hr. You were making over 3 X that rate. Not really sure thatā€™s an arguable mention, let alone credible.
If youā€™re trying to imply I pay my people incorrectly, come open a business in WA or OR and try paying an entry level laborer $30.00hr and let me know how that works out for ya.

Is everyone in support of, or on unemployment? Canā€™t face the facts of why supply chain is fucked? Keep voting for free money. It will only get better.

I entered this conversation with first hand facts in regards to the west coast port congestion/backup. Iā€™ve been on vessels, Iā€™ve been in ports/terminals, Iā€™ve driven trucks in these ports. Iā€™ve controlled chassis, equipment, written contracts with ports, importers, exporters, and controlled major supply chains. From what I can tell, my contribution has been unwelcome. Iā€™ll quit commenting. The keyboard commandos will fix our issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Chicago minimum wage in 2003 was $5.15 hr. You were making over 3 X that rate.
If youā€™re trying to imply I pay my people incorrectly, come open a business in WA or OR and try paying an entry level laborer $30.00hr and let me know how that works out for ya.

Is everyone in support of, or on unemployment? Canā€™t face the facts of why supply chain is fucked? Keep voting for free money. It will only get better.
easy guy with that chip on your shoulder... I wasn't making ANY comment on your compensation scheme. I was just providing a data point for 'labor'. $17/hr then is supposedly $25/hr today.

Our time was in effect directly billable to the client, unlike yours which is in-house and has to absorbed and levied indirectly.
Entry level burger flippers at McD get paid about $15/hr here in NoVA it seems and that hardly qualifies as hard work. I worked all the burger joints during high school (8.50 in 1990 is $18 today).

A personal wage should only be as big as the VALUE they provide. If breaking your back (shoveling coal) is only worth $20/hr because that's what you can sell your product for, then it is what it is, even though the work is significantly more dangerous and significantly more taxing than humping boxes in the suburbs. I did plenty of stacking boxes onto pallets and shrink-wrapping the mess. It takes ~zero brains and is just an exercise of moving one box from over there to over here. It does not deserve to be paid a "living" wage, whatever the hell that's defined as.

I don't know how we got to menial jobs should pay enough to support a family. No, they are intended to pay enough for a single guy to live in a cheap apartment/room and learn a life skill/discipline and work to improve themselves. As a mover I was vastly underpaid vis-a-vis my actual skillset (Unix admin, network security engineer) but those jobs were not available at the time in question. When the market turned I went back to $80k/yr for Abbott Labs.

I would NEVER try to operate a business in a business climate as toxic as WA/OR/CA. As 'rational' as the right half of those states are, they are ruled by the communists in the coastal regions to the detriment of all.

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
easy guy with that chip on your shoulder... I wasn't making ANY comment on your compensation scheme. I was just providing a data point for 'labor'. $17/hr then is supposedly $25/hr today.

Our time was in effect directly billable to the client, unlike yours which is in-house and has to absorbed and levied indirectly.
Entry level burger flippers at McD get paid about $15/hr here in NoVA it seems and that hardly qualifies as hard work. I worked all the burger joints during high school.

A personal wage should only be as big as the VALUE they provide. If breaking your back (shoveling coal) is only worth $20/hr because that's what you can sell your product for, then it is what it is, even though the work is significantly more dangerous and significantly more taxing than humping boxes in the suburbs. I did plenty of stacking boxes onto pallets and shrink-wrapping the mess. It takes ~zero brains and is just an exercise of moving one box from over there to over here. It does not deserve to be paid a "living" wage, whatever the hell that's defined as.

I don't know how we got to menial jobs should pay enough to support a family. No, they are intended to pay enough for a single guy to live in a cheap apartment/room and learn a life skill/discipline and work to improve themselves. As a mover I was vastly underpaid vis-a-vis my actual skillset (Unix admin, network security engineer) but those jobs were not available at the time in question. When the market turned I went back to $80k/yr for Abbott Labs.

I would NEVER try to operate a business in a business climate as toxic as WA/OR/CA. As 'rational' as the right half of those states are, they are ruled by the communists in the coastal regions to the detriment of all.
You understand, thank you.
The moving companies have it a lot harder, and itā€™s a lot more work/responsibility than what my lower wage lumper guys do. We compete with McDonalds - flipping burgers, on our entry level jobs.
Yes, WA and OR is toxic. I would not be here if my business was not what it is. If I could pick up and move, I would. Like multiple friends/family of ours have already done.
Itā€™s a challenge. Thankfully, I have some really great employees that I really appreciate and have made my life not so difficult. Hopefully I can continue to help make their lives easier and more prosperous.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The same thing happened in Europe starting about twenty to twenty-five years ago. Back then you went to a dealer in the morning, you were shown a field full of new, shiny cars in various colours, you picked one, and by early afternoon you would drive it home.
Then, over the course of a few years, things changed a bit. You could still go and buy your car on the spot if you weren't picky, but if you wanted a special colour or trim level you had to wait for one or two weeks until it was shipped from a larger depot which was in a nearby country.
Then, a few more years down the line, you could still buy your car on the spot if you wanted a colourless diesel in whatever trim happened to be in stock that month, but everything else had to be custom ordered. By 2010 virtually all major manufacturers operated like this.
Nowadays even that colourless diesel isn't in stock anymore. Unless you're willing to buy one of the dealer's demo cars (which may or may not be for sale at that particular time), a custom order is the only way to buy a new car. At least a new Ford. There are occasional exceptions here and there - a friend of mine has just bought a new Mazda (she was able to find it in stock because it was grey and she couldn't care less about the trim level) - but they are quite rare.

I remember that twenty years ago I was appalled by the idea that you could have to wait for your new car to be shipped from another country for you, let alone produced for you. Not being able to go and buy a new car right away like you would buy a pair of socks was unimaginable. Sometimes I would read in a magazine about some special edition Mercedes or Porsche which had a delivery time of six months, and I would laugh my ass off.
When I wanted to buy a Renault in the summer of 2001, I could have had it immediately in the base trim, and even in the colour I wanted, but I wanted the optional ABS and passenger airbag, so I had to wait three weeks for it to be shipped from Turkey. Three weeks! That felt like three centuries to me. When I told my friends about it, they all said the same thing: this is stupid, Renault will go out of business in no time if they behave like this.
Well, it turns out they didn't. Not only did they not go out of business because of this practice, but quite the contrary, all of the other manufacturers followed suit, and today we're all so used to it that we don't even flinch when the dealer tells us our new car will be delivered four months from now (or nine months, in the case of a Mustang).

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
The same thing happened in Europe starting about twenty to twenty-five years ago. Back then you went to a dealer in the morning, you were shown a field full of new, shiny cars in various colours, you picked one, and by early afternoon you would drive it home.
Then, over the course of a few years, things changed a bit. You could still go and buy your car on the spot if you weren't picky, but if you wanted a special colour or trim level you had to wait for one or two weeks until it was shipped from a larger depot which was in a nearby country.
Then, a few more years down the line, you could still buy your car on the spot if you wanted a colourless diesel in whatever trim happened to be in stock that month, but everything else had to be custom ordered. By 2010 virtually all major manufacturers operated like this.
Nowadays even that colourless diesel isn't in stock anymore. Unless you're willing to buy one of the dealer's demo cars (which may or may not be for sale at that particular time), a custom order is the only way to buy a new car. At least a new Ford. There are occasional exceptions here and there - a friend of mine has just bought a new Mazda (she was able to find it in stock because it was grey and she couldn't care less about the trim level) - but they are quite rare.

I remember that twenty years ago I was appalled by the idea that you could have to wait for your new car to be shipped from another country for you, let alone produced for you. Not being able to go and buy a new car right away like you would buy a pair of socks was unimaginable. Sometimes I would read in a magazine about some special edition Mercedes or Porsche which had a delivery time of six months, and I would laugh my ass off.
When I wanted to buy a Renault in the summer of 2001, I could have had it immediately in the base trim, and even in the colour I wanted, but I wanted the optional ABS and passenger airbag, so I had to wait three weeks for it to be shipped from Turkey. Three weeks! That felt like three centuries to me. When I told my friends about it, they all said the same thing: this is stupid, Renault will go out of business in no time if they behave like this.
Well, it turns out they didn't. Not only did they not go out of business because of this practice, but quite the contrary, all of the other manufacturers followed suit, and today we're all so used to it that we don't even flinch when the dealer tells us our new car will be delivered four months from now (or nine months, in the case of a Mustang).
Communism, is real.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Communism, is real.
Oh, yes, it definitely is. I can tell you that firsthand. I grew up in it. šŸ˜
I suspect, though, that this practice is more likely of Japanese rather than communist origin. Communism was much simpler: we make one car, no variations, you can take it or leave it. We don't care if you leave it, because there's a five year waiting list anyway.

The order system does have its upsides. It's nice to be able to have a car custom-tailored for you, which wouldn't be possible otherwise. There are very few things in life which are more satisfying than browsing a five-page list of options for your new car and checking the right boxes on it. :)

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are very few things in life which are more satisfying than browsing a five-page list of options for your new car and checking the right boxes on it. :)
Hmm why do I not feel this same joy when ordering sushi? So many checkboxes and such a stubby pencil.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

Good luck , that is all I can say. Might want to move your business out of a far left area. ( I'll leave it at that, to not get thread shut)
People will work, but only if doing so, allows them to live.
If they need a full time job, and then a 2nd job to keep head above water. they say screw it.
So, they say,
I'll take the low cost housing, the free bee's and anything else offered.
If you think housing cost has nothing to do with any of this, you are sadly mistaken.
Again good luck.
I wasn't raised like that, I was raised you shovel crap if you have to, to earn a living. but many after decades of being pushed into a corner have thrown in the towel and said, why am I killing myself working 2-3 jobs. So they learn to play the game so many others have. as it offers them career training i.e. college degree's for free, while on welfare.
Sure part of the problem is welfare pays too well, but that fact does not change the reality of many jobs, take home will not cover an apartment or home, food, wheels to get to a job, health insurance forced on them, auto insurance, gas, heat, electric, a cell phone, and things to wear .
19 bucks an hour might be great in Idaho, or any low cost of living area. but WASHINGTON STATE. lol. sorry.
Reality is cruel some times. But it is this way from decades of putting the Local, state and fed admin on auto pilot.
A ____ of the people, by the people only works when ,the people are involved. and autopilot and not caring is why we have what we have.
WE BUILT THIS. OWN IT>

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Good luck , that is all I can say. Might want to move your business out of a far left area. ( I'll leave it at that, to not get thread shut)
People will work, but only if doing so, allows them to live.
If they need a full time job, and then a 2nd job to keep head above water. they say screw it.
So, they say,
I'll take the low cost housing, the free bee's and anything else offered.
If you think housing cost has nothing to do with any of this, you are sadly mistaken.
Again good luck.
I wasn't raised like that, I was raised you shovel crap if you have to, to earn a living. but many after decades of being pushed into a corner have thrown in the towel and said, why am I killing myself working 2-3 jobs. So they learn to play the game so many others have. as it offers them career training i.e. college degree's for free, while on welfare.
Sure part of the problem is welfare pays too well, but that fact does not change the reality of many jobs, take home will not cover an apartment or home, food, wheels to get to a job, health insurance forced on them, auto insurance, gas, heat, electric, a cell phone, and things to wear .
19 bucks an hour might be great in Idaho, or any low cost of living area. but WASHINGTON STATE. lol. sorry.
Reality is cruel some times. But it is this way from decades of putting the Local, state and fed admin on auto pilot.
A ____ of the people, by the people only works when ,the people are involved. and autopilot and not caring is why we have what we have.
WE BUILT THIS. OWN IT>
I think you are still confused on the entire reason I posted.
I donā€™t need luck business wise, we profited more last month than we did in all of 2020 - and thatā€™s with most of our employees receiving nice bonuses and huge bumps in pay, they are very happy. Thatā€™s why I havenā€™t followed our friends and family all over the country to better areas. Thankfully I live in the country on acreage, in a R community.
My point I was trying to proveā€¦ā€¦if people are wondering why 100 ships are sitting at idle outside of LA, and 60 are outside of SEA, itā€™s because lower wage people that should be unloading containers, are sitting at home getting paid by .GOVā€¦. I mentioned I could run 3 shifts vs 1, but honestly, I do not want to grow my business any larger, making it harder to manage. It is very tempting because if I did that for about a year I could retire at 40yrs old, thankfully thatā€™s not an option because people arenā€™t willing to work right now.
I want my business to be small enough to know all my key employees, but large enough to make decent profits and live comfortably, while allowing me a great place to go during the week and be a positive place that employs people. Thatā€™s about 70-100 employees for me. There is a fine line, and I think Iā€™ve played my cards nicely to where our employees are happy. I will not ever borrow money (lines of credit) nor introduce investors, because then I lose freedom, and if I lose freedom, so would my employees. I just spent $1,000.00 earlier today on a managers tires - I couldnā€™t do that with investors or growing our company just to benefit myself.
There is a lot of opportunity for so many right now, and not a lot are taking advantage (hourly worker wise).
So moral of the story, thank .GOV for paying people to stay home, which doesnā€™t get them ships worked and product moved.
Inflation is the result of .GOV.

PS - $19.00hr in Portland ends up at $2493.00 MO after taxes/insurance/etcā€¦.
So your average kid that just graduated, can EASILY live in any apartment within 60 miles of our facility, have a beater car and eat/live just fine.
I never rented in my life, but I can tell you I was smart enough to know I needed a partner in order to live comfortably. So I had a girl that was equally as ambitious, with a decent job, so we bought a house together at 20yrs old. 8yrs later I married her. This is 20 years ago, at the company I now own. I started out at $9.00hr. And the girl I shacked up with is still my wife.
Life is what you make it, and it can easily be done around our area.
No excuses.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you are still confused on the entire reason I posted.
I donā€™t need luck business wise, we profited more last month than we did in all of 2020 - and thatā€™s with most of our employees receiving nice bonuses and huge bumps in pay, they are very happy. Thatā€™s why I havenā€™t followed our friends and family all over the country to better areas. Thankfully I live in the country on acreage, in a R community.
My point I was trying to proveā€¦ā€¦if people are wondering why 100 ships are sitting at idle outside of LA, and 60 are outside of SEA, itā€™s because lower wage people that should be unloading containers, are sitting at home getting paid by .GOVā€¦. I mentioned I could run 3 shifts vs 1, but honestly, I do not want to grow my business any larger, making it harder to manage. It is very tempting because if I did that for about a year I could retire at 40yrs old, thankfully thatā€™s not an option because people arenā€™t willing to work right now.
I want my business to be small enough to know all my key employees, but large enough to make decent profits and live comfortably, while allowing me a great place to go during the week and be a positive place that employs people. Thatā€™s about 70-100 employees for me. There is a fine line, and I think Iā€™ve played my cards nicely to where our employees are happy. I will not ever borrow money (lines of credit) nor introduce investors, because then I lose freedom, and if I lose freedom, so would my employees. I just spent $1,000.00 earlier today on a managers tires - I couldnā€™t do that with investors or growing our company just to benefit myself.
There is a lot of opportunity for so many right now, and not a lot are taking advantage (hourly worker wise).
So moral of the story, thank .GOV for paying people to stay home, which doesnā€™t get them ships worked and product moved.
Inflation is the result of .GOV.
Sure, that is why you posted you can't get help.
Good night.
My tall boots are at the repair shop.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I for one sent 900 jobs to Mexico production facility and 30 engineering and management jobs from Canada to TX and could not be happier.

All the USA and Canadian production competition are 16-20 higher cost, with endless issues while MX is seamless Germanic production.

I will never invest a penny in USA or Canadian production ever, and my entire USA and Euro supply chain is also producing in MX with few of the infamous bottlenecks that are hyped up in the media.

Canadian / USA mill run special steel: sorry not taking orders. MX and swedes 16 weeks. Tires no problem. Anything need no problem untill cross the border then it's a huge shortage, prices up 20 %.

It's a comedy.
So, why not move there?
Don't bother reply'n. I know the answer.
Sponsored